Football The Official Championship Thread
24-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I guess we were often the main game on the show, so we regularly got decent highlights - but other than that they do rush through the games.

But then when you're covering 3 divisions of 24 teams you haven't really got much choice - unless the programme was about 4 hours long! I don't really see another way of doing it.

As Lee said - the time was slightly irrelevant as I just had it on series record anyway......which came in handy, because I thought I'd forgotten to record the highlights of the play-off final, but the trusty old Sky+ box plus picked it up as part of the series and recorded it for me anyway. After me being out all day on Saturday the missus was well pleased with me watching that on Sunday. Mrgreen
24-05-2012, 09:46 AM
It wouldn't have been so bad if they changed the main game every week rather than just have the same teams every week. Admittedly I didn't watch the programme very often, but every time I did it would seem Charlton were always the main game in League 1. I think they should have rotated it every week to give all teams that extra bit of coverage.

Without trying to sound big headed, we were easily the biggest team in that division, yet we rarely got shown as the main game, as I said before the exception being the last day, but then the last day of the season is always a bit different as far as highlights go anyway.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

24-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I always used to enjoy TFLS, and I didn't see any team as really being shown more than the others...?

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
24-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe it's biased opinion, but when I read details of the game, a few near misses, controversial decisions etc I would tune in to see them but invariably they would never be shown but it seemed some of the other games would show a lot more of the game other than just the goals.
WAWAW

24-05-2012, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012, 03:03 PM by Ben O'Bagels.)
(24-05-2012, 09:46 AM)Walks Wrote: Without trying to sound big headed, we were easily the biggest team in that division

The other side of Sheffield begs to differ. Wink

Given that the show covers over thirty matches of course it's going to be impossible to give every match a reasonable length of time whilst keeping the show at a reasonable length. Having highlights on the website did negate that, though even then I felt they often favoured teams. West Ham for example always had five minutes of highlights on the website, Reading barely got above two minutes (thirty seconds of that often interviews with the other manager and the opening ten seconds for home matches usually a shot from outside the club shop) until about March time.

The show is heavily favoured towards the Championship, fair enough as it's the highest division, and towards the likes of West Ham, Birmingham and Leeds in that division. Certainly for fans of the likes of Peterborough, Barnsley and League One and Two teams I imagine it was fairly frustrating having to wait so long into the show to get a few seconds of their team.

That Football League highlights are on 'free' TV though is an excellent thing, and the lateness and length of the show is somewhat negated by it being available on the iplayer, though I do think the show could be a lot better.
24-05-2012, 03:07 PM
They may argue otherwise, but the fact we topped the attendances table and the fact they are only taking 27k to Wembley speaks volumes Smile
WAWAW

24-05-2012, 03:48 PM
(24-05-2012, 02:59 PM)Ben OBagels Wrote:
(24-05-2012, 09:46 AM)Walks Wrote: Without trying to sound big headed, we were easily the biggest team in that division
The show is heavily favoured towards the Championship, fair enough as it's the highest division, and towards the likes of West Ham, Birmingham and Leeds in that division.

Leeds really weren't favoured that much. We got a bit of coverage at the start of the year when people thought we might be playoff contenders but towards the end we were regularly one of the last games in the championship. I think it's based primarily off who is topping the table not how big the club is.
24-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I was going to make a "woe-is-me try-being-the-Welsh-club" comment, but in all fairness, in recent years the media have been quite generous with our and Swansea's (pre-Premier) coverage. We used to get very short-shrift, but these days it's a bit fairer, so I'll just quietly withdraw.

Wednesday are better btw.

I have no empirical evidence whatsoever to back that up, but they have a more interesting name than 'United', and are therefore cooler. All other things being equal they should get more coverage because of that. Like Accrington Stanley should.

What?

Hey, there is some logic to that believe it or not. Some people do choose which team to follow based on the fact that their name is cool. Or their shirt is. Or their mascot is. Let's be honest; nobody will be following Wednesday because of their football... Mrgreen

Coat

24-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Wednesday by a mile, due to their away following. I've been to a few games in recent years with my Wednesdayite mate. A bloody terrible game away at Tranmere midweek in the depths of winter, the PNE game this season and their home game against Newcastle are a few of the really awful games, but there were always thousands there.

100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
24-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Thing is Keith, the media have to be fairer now to Cardiff and Swansea, otherwise someone somewhere will just say it's 'racist' because they aren't English clubs Wink

In all fairness though, Cardiff and Swansea have had some fair success on the pitch and so deserve their 'extra' coverage, I think Deus has got it right there.

Also our fans are better than United's, we simply have a bit more decorum about us. They are extremely negative, none of them seem to be excited about the play-off final, they have only sold 27k (last count I heard) for the final and seemingly have already accepted defeat. Even when we are down on our luck we still get behind our team. We may moan and groan, but we all come back next week. The same can't be said for them. Did anyone see their home leg play off semi? The ground was half empty. If that was us, the stadium would have been packed.

Overall, their fans come across as being nasty, they think it's banter but it's not. From the few other team forums I've been on, (Cardiff stands out) most of the fans come across as genuinely polite and courteous, most of them wishing Dave Jones well and wishing the team well, all the while saying they would rather us go up than the blunts as we are the better team and have the better fan base. Most 'neutrals' seem to prefer Wednesday to United.

And the best thing? I keep winding up my Spurs supporting mate that our attendance at the final game of the season was bigger than any they had throughout their entire league campaign :p
WAWAW

24-05-2012, 09:15 PM
A genuine sleeping Luol Deng.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
25-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Wednesday must be massive, a friendly with them is being promoted as the highlight of Reading's pre-season fixtures it seems. :p

Bit disappointing that we've got Palace as the home friendly. Was hoping for a reasonably well known European team.
25-05-2012, 05:13 PM
(25-05-2012, 04:56 PM)Ben OBagels Wrote: Wednesday must be massive, a friendly with them is being promoted as the highlight of Reading's pre-season fixtures it seems. :p

That's a massive inside joke amongst Wednesday fans, so just more proof that we are indeed MASSIVE Wink
WAWAW

25-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Mrgreen
25-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Mrgreen
26-05-2012, 07:48 AM
MASSIVE YACHT! Mrgreen
27-05-2012, 12:52 PM
"But I don't wanna play in the championship!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/mobile/football/18218972

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
27-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't blame him either. He's good enough to be in the PL and with 18 goals last season he did more than the rest of the Blackburn squad in trying to keep them up.
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
29-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Serious rumours of a takeover at Leeds with the supporter's trust confirming there are two definite interested parties. Even the Yorkshire evening post confirmed it!!! CelebrateCelebrateCelebrateCelebrateCelebrateCelebrate

If this actually goes through it will be celebrated like a promotion. We've been waiting for it for the past 7 years.Cross Fingers
29-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Is Ridsdale back in town? :p