FM '18 Beta released
13-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Steam has FM18 on sale for 25% off.

I am having failing badly in resisting the temptation to buy it . . .
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
13-02-2018, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2018, 01:49 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
Me too... Just got my paycheck yesterday as well...

To those of you who have played it, is it a solid upgrade from '17? I understand they've changed quite a bit but for the better?
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

13-02-2018, 01:55 PM
I might wait for summer sale... so much else to do than FM :/
13-02-2018, 03:34 PM
(13-02-2018, 01:31 PM)SackedLlaMa Wrote: Me too... Just got my paycheck yesterday as well...

To those of you who have played it, is it a solid upgrade from '17? I understand they've changed quite a bit but for the better?

I've dropped off in playing it, but that's more because I do at this time of year. I personally think it is a massive step up, particularly in the amount you can drill into stats and try to find out the strengths and weaknesses of your team compared to your rivals. The squad dynamic thing is pretty cool too, although I can imagine what it will be like when you lose the dressing room!
13-02-2018, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2018, 03:46 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
(13-02-2018, 03:34 PM)keefa Wrote:
(13-02-2018, 01:31 PM)SackedLlaMa Wrote: Me too... Just got my paycheck yesterday as well...

I've dropped off in playing it, but that's more because I do at this time of year. I personally think it is a massive step up, particularly in the amount you can drill into stats and try to find out the strengths and weaknesses of your team compared to your rivals. The squad dynamic thing is pretty cool too, although I can imagine what it will be like when you lose the dressing room!

I tried reading some opinions on the interwebs from people and found a lot of people complaining about the UI (can probably be improved with a skin?) and the squad dynamics you mention. A lot of people seemed annoyed about their players being overly sensitive and emotional and getting upset about every little thing. Also, the scouting had become a lot worse. My question is then immediately whether these new features are actually worse than before or if it's more "LLM"/realistic than before and that's why they're upset? Tthey don't play it like we do so I value opinions on LLM.com a lot more than anywhere else. So, if you say it's cool, it's most likely cool Smile
Previous saves: 

13-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Yeah, quite possibly. The screens did feel a lot more cluttered than previously, but I figured that once I got used to them I would be okay. I would imagine others here have played it much more than I have, so might be worth waiting on their opinions before shelling out Smile
13-02-2018, 05:34 PM
There's always the demo to give it a quick spin. You'll just have to give it a spin real fast, as the current offer seems to end in a couple of days. (But there's always another sale around the corner...)
14-02-2018, 12:01 AM
Bought/downloaded/installed last night. Up till early hours getting save started and familiarizing myself with my team Blush

First impressions:
- UI is very busy and clutter (but I will get used to it). The cluttered UI resulted in me stuffing up the set up of my alter ego (so busy fiddling with the 3d version of me, I missed the bit where I could set my birthdate, so I am only 23 years old)
- Agree so much more information and data on your squad is available, I can understand some people being overwhelmed by it but I think it is more realistic
- I think the squad dynamics is much more realistic modelling of how a squad work (each player is not an emotional island), but I agree with keefa it could get very ugly, very quickly when you lose the dressing room. Players being overly sensitive and emotional? Looks at recent media reports from Leicester City, Dortmund, Arsenal, yep FM18 more realistic I would say . . .
- Advice from your backroom team is much more realistically presented
- New scouting setup feels more realistic (my DoF recommended a free agent to plug an actual weakness in our squad instead of some random player to improve our squad, I had a free agent approach us for a trial), scouting team has budget and you get warned about the cost of sending the scouts out to scout player (so that will discourage the shotgun approach to just scouting every player you cross paths with) and I like the concept of giving the DoF/Chief Scout a long term scouting philosophy/objectives/goals and letting them run with the details, although from what I can tell you can go back to the old way of scouting by taking control of the scouting and giving them short term scouting assignments instead, I might need to adapt my local recruitment rules to accommodate the changes in the scouting system
- I found the updated tactics screen more cluttered but easier to use, I like the being able to easily set personalised roles for each player in a certain position in your tactic
- the 3D match is big improvement on FM16, much more realistic in the look of how the players and the ball moves around the field
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
14-02-2018, 06:28 AM
Bought it and set it to download while I'm at work. Looking forward to trying it when I get home Smile
Previous saves: 

14-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the impressions kin_lin!

Keep them coming and I'll have no other choice than buying it Tongue
14-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Have they done any changes to the training? it's one area of the game I've found it impossible to get invested in as the options are so generic with no details about what your players are actually doing on the training field.
Previous saves: 

14-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Not that I can see so far, very similar to FM16 but the way they have integrated the advice/suggestions from your coaching staff and ass-man makes it much more user friendly.

GNU Terry Pratchett
14-02-2018, 07:19 PM
I think it's a fairly big step up, agree with what's been said.

It does get very ugly when you lose a dressing room, believe me. Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
14-02-2018, 09:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to JD's first FM18 story now! Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

15-02-2018, 07:38 PM
You're assuming I'm ever going to make it far enough. Lol
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
15-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Good point! Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

18-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Opposition Instructions and Sideline Shouts

It is taking me some time to get use to the new Match Screen features. I still have yet to work out the best way to get the match stats that I like to keep an eye on up on the screen (they appear to have removed the option of using a split match screen in FM18 Sad ).

GNU Terry Pratchett
27-02-2018, 03:22 AM
I do like the new Match Report analysis, it makes me feel like a real football manager with analytics and data science oh and ah.

GNU Terry Pratchett
27-02-2018, 05:38 AM
I have to have a closer look at that. Realise I've barely scratched the surface but it looks a bit overwhelming.
Previous saves: 

27-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Be warned that it is actually not easy to find (I discovered it by accident when looking at the performance of my U21s and then took me much ferreting around to find the same report for my Senior Squad).

I am not saying that I actually know what to do with data or how to interpret it yet other than reading the recommendations from my backroom Shrug

It looks colourful and impressive, great way to bamboozle the Chairman and the Board into believing that my staff and I are getting results Cool

GNU Terry Pratchett