Update for FM'14 Rodderas and FM14
24-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Top season!

Is the first division the top tier or the second tier in Norway?

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
24-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Second.
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

07-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Season 7:

What's the worst that could happen?

Pre-Season:

I wanted to give the squad more depth, but didn't want to go overboard. I was quite conscious that we may be heading straight back down, and didn't want a bunch of overpaid pansies to deal with next year. With that in mind I brought in 5 players that all looked to be improvements to the squad.

Our friendly games didn't pan out as I'd hoped, and we didn't play particularly well at all. I thought after promotion the team would be buzzing, but it really didn't seem that way at all.

League Part 1:

We started badly..... With a mixture of semi-professional and professional clubs it was looking very much like last year's promotion was a bit of a fluke.

Norwegian Cup:

We had some rather kind draws in the cup that saw us make it through to the 3rd round. The two wins were a massive boost to our confidence, and much needed. As it turns out our cup run was the highlight of the season.

League Part 2:

We just couldn't seem to get it together.... Our form did improve with the confidence brought on by our cup run, and we did briefly climb out of the relegation places. I was quite hopeful until around five games to go when it became apparent that we were doomed. Relegation was confirmed with two games to spare, and seven players handed in their transfer requests. I can't say as I blame them, but I can't help thinking they're not likely to move on anywhere. I mean after all they hardly played well this season.

[Image: 38863233450_d4588975b2_z.jpg]

End of Season Thoughts:

I myself am rather disheartened by the relegation. It would appear to be a really hard task to compete in the First division with such a mixture of class between the teams.

I have a year left to run on my contract, but I'm thinking my time at Kolstad may be done. I'm not just going to jump ship, but I'm craving a professional club, and I feel I have justified the move by securing promotion last year.

That said.... I could be in the same boat as my transfer listed players!

07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
6 wins is still a decent tally for a club like that. Hopefully you can bounce back - if you even stay!
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
07-03-2018, 11:06 PM
That's a pretty tough division... Tromsø, Start, Sandefjord and Stabæk are Premiership regulars while Mjøndalen and Hønefoss have been up in recent history as well. One club overachieving (Kongsvinger) and 4 relegation spots - that's a really tough task with a small club like Kolstad. Hopefully your efforts will pay off with a better job Smile
Previous saves: 

09-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Relegation still stings a little at the moment, and I may take a break for a while. Once I'm over my initial disappointment I'll probably stick with Kolstad for the remainder of my contract (assuming I don't get sacked).

11-03-2018, 04:31 AM
Unlucky - looking at the table, the last two teams in particular look to be very much out of step with the division above them. Also slightly insane that a full quarter of the division gets relegated!

12-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Unlucky on the relegation. Hope you can get them straight back up next year.
14-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Season 8:

First time of asking?

Pre-season:

The squad was understandably unhappy after last season's relegation. My job was very unstable, and the board made it clear that they wanted a good year ahead.

One of my ST retired. He'd played a big part in our promotion, but hadn't made any kind of impact in the first division. It really was time for him to go. I also let another ST go. I signed him to push us on last year, but he was woeful.

This all seemed fine at the time, but no one then wanted to join a freshly relegated team. I was then scrabbling about to try and fill the squad. Which I did(ish) with an ancient chap who will retire at the end of the year.

Our friendly games went well. Even our tougher games we looked strong, and I was thinking maybe the season would be OK.

League Part 1:

We started averagely. Not really poor, but in no way title contenders. With 10 games played we were top half, which is what the board requested, but 10 points off the top spot. With such a short season I felt promotion was unachievable already.

The Cup:

We made it through to the fourth round this year. Taking out Stromsgodset on penalties in the third round which was pleasing. We played well against Sarpsborg only to be knocked out by a late winner in a thrilling 3 – 2 encounter.

League Part 2:

We just were not consistent enough to challenge for the title. Just when I thought we were having a change in form we'd lose a silly game that we should have breezed through. It was quite frustrating really, but as I said I'd already come to the conclusion that promotion was unobtainable. I'd given up on the season to be honest.

[Image: 38997382150_4f1a1eef04_z.jpg]

End of Season Thoughts:

The board waited until quite late in the year before offering me a contract extension. I was getting a little worried that it wouldn't happen, and then when it did I was in two minds as to whether I wanted to stay at Kolstad.

Ultimately I don't think I'd get a better job at the minute so I've signed on for another year. If we don't challenge for the title next year I'll see how I feel.

14-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Think you've done the best you can under the circumstances to be honest.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

15-03-2018, 12:57 AM
It's tough to go straight back up, you've done well to meet expectations and then get another year.

16-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Season 9:

Any better this year?

Pre-Season:

My Assman refused to sign a new contract, and I'm guessing he felt he'd outgrown the club. To be fair he probably had. The search for a replacement proved to be quite difficult, and in the end I settled for someone much worse.

To add to this I also lost my GK and fitness coaches. Both had been signed whilst in the first division, and I was no longer allowed to recruit those positions now that we're back down in division two.

I also found it quite difficult to sign any new players. A new DR, AML and ST were brought in, but none really shined. I would have like to have signed much more, but no one is interested in Kolstad.

The friendly games went OK....

League Part 1:

We started badly....

The Cup:

Out in the first round after being drawn against Molde. It will let us concentrate on the push for promotion.

League Part 2:

We continued badly, and I just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I felt the team we had should have been at least challenging the top half of the table, but we were battling it out trying to stay out of the relegation zone.

A job came up in the first division with Sogndal.... They are a professional club that are struggling..... I apply.... The Kolstad board get angry.... I apologise.... Kolstad say don't do it again..... Sogndal laugh..  

Media reports suggested that my time was up, the board reported that my job was very insecure and I seriously contemplated jumping ship before getting sacked. In reality where would I go?

I had a serious rethink of my tactics and started to play the team in a different way. Slowly the results started to turn around, and in the end we finished the year up very strong.

[Image: 25970496387_47a26f45b3_z.jpg]

End of Season Thoughts:

If we'd have started the season as strong as we finished we would have been runaway winners. Of the 12 games we won 9 were in the latter half of the season. However, it's difficult to be disappointed with the final league position. I could have easily lost my job this year.

Maybe next year will prove to be more consistent.

16-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Hopefully you've found what was wrong, certainly looks that way. Should be motoring next year.

16-03-2018, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2018, 07:45 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
Way to turn things around in your darkest hour (to sound a bit over dramatic) Smile . So you're sticking around then? Due to lack of other opportunities or are you trying to build something there? (Or both, I guess)
Previous saves: 

17-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Yes I'm staying!

I'm filled with confidence and optimism at the minute. I even asked the board for a contract extension,,,, They told me where to go but...

20-03-2018, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2018, 11:26 AM by Rodderas.)
Season 10:

This time surely?

Pre-Season:

My faithful DM was getting too old, and just wouldn't cut it any longer. To be fair he had asked to retire 2 years ago, but I convinced him to stay, so I can't complain really. I had real difficulty in finding replacement, and as a consequence I had to alter my tactics slightly. However, I didn't think this would cause too much trouble.

The Cup:

Out in the second round at home to Premier side Lillestrom. I wasn't too worried, and I felt we played quite well. Everyone else was devastated.....

The League:

With a media prediction of 2nd, and the good end to last season I thought we had a good chance of promotion. I told the team that promotion was ours if we wanted it, but I remained a little more cautious with the board. Top half finish should be easy....

We didn't start badly, but we weren’t good either. The tweaks I made last year for the turnaround made little difference this year, and we just didn't seem to have the bottle to win the games we needed. I spent most of the season with a very insecure job position, with the board always disappointed with my performance. Which seemed a little harsh as we weren't that bad really.

[Image: 39106851280_f0e6aa8aaf_z.jpg]

End of Season Thoughts:

With two months to go I asked the board for a contract extension, but they replied that my performance did not warrant it. Which was a shame. One month to go they then called me in and offered me a reduced wage. I accepted as I really don't feel I will get anything better, but unless we have a good season the next will probably be my last with Kolstad.

20-03-2018, 11:52 AM
So close and so even league Smile
20-03-2018, 07:31 PM
5 points short isn't too bad at all. Best of luck next year.
20-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Your performance didn't warrant an extension? Since when is 4th out of 14 not a top half finish? Be careful about accepting reduced wages. Norway is expensive... Hope you can attract some interest from better clubs over the next season Smile
Previous saves: 

20-03-2018, 11:42 PM
kutgw