Plight of the Concords
18-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Smashing season. It will be interesting to see if you stick with Wrexham, or if your are drawn away to something else.

18-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Wreham back where they belong! Good work JD Smile
18-03-2018, 11:57 PM
That's one hell of a season! kutgw
19-03-2018, 06:13 AM
Very good season indeed. Congrats! Will you be able to keep Owl around? After such an amazing season I imagine he might attract some interest?
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

19-03-2018, 10:43 AM
I'd imagine absolutely no chance. My coaches now rate him at Championship quality and Aberdeen are wanting to take him north of the border too so I'll be amazed if we can keep him Sad will be a lot of goals to replace.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
19-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Great season and that financial status won't make it easy next season, run? Tongue
21-03-2018, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2018, 08:49 PM by JD95 aka Fidsy Jr..)
Wrexham AFC - Football League Two, 2024/25

I expected as much, but Wednesday unfortunately wanted Owl back. He proved very difficult to properly replace. In came Yogi from Spurs, he joined on trial when he was told his contract wouldn't be renewed and after thinking he was better than me in March, signed a contract in July. Also managed to secure all last year's loanees again, either on frees or extended loans, apart from the keeper. Swindon offered him more, though I did manage to get in comparable quality. I also pulled in a few kids from the island of Ireland that would fit in well.

We never really got going. Had my name in the papers for all the wrong reasons, constantly being told I was about to get the sack. We weren't even playing badly, just unlucky with injuries, and I have a feeling my choice to bring in kids led to a lack of mental strength to see games out, as we let in a lot of late goals that cost us dearly. I bolstered the squad in January, a few freebies coming in and a young lad that will cost £800k in total, eventually... the board did give me a generous wage budget, so I used it on his transfer fee instead. This plunged us further into the red, as you'd imagine, and I was warned we were heading for admin. Yogi was sold in January over my head, though Derby loaned him back to us without charge. None of this was really enough to get the club upwardly mobile though. Just couldn't turn the draws into wins.

I was called into the boardroom no fewer than three occasions throughout the season, the third of which the board basically told me to fuck off and don't come back and they were glad to see the back of me at the end of March. Bastards.

I'm looking across both land borders at my next potential job, though the one I had my eye on hasn't yet dropped. Hopefully something interesting comes of my sacking and leaves me a decent opening.

Got to the second round of the League Cup before losing to Newcastle, out in the group of the Football League Trophy and out in FACR1 after a replay against Peterborough.

We were only 16th when I got the sack, nowhere near the bottom 2, but we were never going to reach the playoffs as the board wanted... Sad

Let's hope Wrexham go into administration and fuck off back into the non-league.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

21-03-2018, 10:39 PM
It's a shame when the board sets some unrealistic target like that right after promotion. It'll be interesting to see where you'll end up next!
22-03-2018, 09:02 AM
I was suprised too they wanted reach playoffs right away, mental board would have set avoid relegation. You're too good for them, so fuck'em. Smile
23-03-2018, 03:31 PM
That's a tough blow to take. Hopefully something interesting will turn up soon.

23-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Get the Chester job and destroy Wrexham Mrgreen
24-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Cambridge United - Football League Two, 2025/26

I had a few interviews with some of the teams relegated from the league above, and Yeovil did offer me the job, but Cambridge appealed to me more. Probably something to do with the £1.5m transfer budget they waved at me... I quickly went about making use of this, bringing in a few trusted favourites from Wrexham I thought could do a job, including an Irish central defender who everyone thinks will go on to become an absolute star. I had a fair amount of player turnover, partly because some of them hated me immediately, some of them turned on me because I didn't like them so I got shut of them at random points in the season, and I also love a free agent, so I brought plenty of these in too...

Anyway, the season. We didn't get off to a bad start, nothing special though. After August, we sank like a stone. I was terrified I was in for a repeat of the Wrexham, even though the board were much more realistic. So I scrapped what I was trying to do and very much went back to basics, even shoehorning a few players into positions not necessarily best suited to them but would suit the team very nicely. While we didn't set the world alight, this did bring about a consistent upturn in form, and by Christmas we were fighting it out with Doncaster (sigh) and Burton for at the time the final playoff spot. There was never more than 4 points in it, and in game week 34 we managed to haul ourselves into the top 7, with Doncaster conceding a stoppage time goal lifting us up into 7th following our win that day. We were never dislodged and ended up finishing 6th. Was 5th for weeks but we lost on the final day to drop below Northampton, who we would have to pay a visit. Boring 0-0 at their place where we hammered on the door to no avail for 90 minutes. Second leg saw two penalties inside 15 minutes, both awarded to us. One scored, one missed. But it was enough.

We faced Bristol Rovers in the final, who had a player that gave us nightmares in both games in the regular season. Fairly even throughout the match, got to half time very much in the game. What followed was 45 minutes of absolutely no action whatsoever, so extra time it was. We conceded in the 100th minute of the game to the bloke I knew would score against us, though we levelled 3 minutes later (which I didn't actually realise until we reached the end of the game and it told me to choose my penalty takers!). The shootout couldn't have gone better really. We scored all of ours, they only managed one, so we won 4-1 in the end. A VERY unexpected promotion, but a very welcome one too.

I've earned an extension to my contract, and I have a feeling the squad may have enough about them to survive. I've already identified a few positions where I'll need some minor surgery, and I have fucking loads of strikers and central midfielders so some will be leaving (and we had even more of both earlier in the year, did some great business getting fairly big money at this level for some of them), which should fund reinforcements.

Cups sucked arse. Though we did get into the 2nd round of the Football League Trophy.

24-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Way to bounce back in style and prove that Wrexham board wrong! (How did Wrexham do by the way?)

Congratulations on the promotion and good luck in League 1! Hopefully the Cambridge board aren't expecting back-to-back promotions... Smile
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

24-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Nice one!

kutgw

24-03-2018, 03:35 PM
(24-03-2018, 07:57 AM)SackedLlaMa Wrote: Way to bounce back in style and prove that Wrexham board wrong! (How did Wrexham do by the way?)

Congratulations on the promotion and good luck in League 1! Hopefully the Cambridge board aren't expecting back-to-back promotions... Smile

Wrexham finished 16th and sacked my successor. Mrgreen

24-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Did someone hack JD's account?

kutgw
25-03-2018, 04:15 AM
2 promotions in 3 seasons! That doesn't sound like JD, but I suppose he did managed to get sacked in the middle of it. Mrgreen
25-03-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm just wondering where it'll start to go horribly wrong. Lol

26-03-2018, 05:44 AM
Something wrong here, maybe you should sck yourself Tongue

KUTGW! Smile
26-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Cambridge United - Football League One, 2026/27 Part One

So this season, we were looking at finishing midtable. No problem, I thought. Kept all of last season's loanees that I actually wanted and got shut of the usual deadwood/cunts who hated me/players I didn't really want anymore, brought in a boat load of strikers for no reason and several central midfielders. I also spent heavily on one striker who ended up barely featuring. Though I did get Yogi back on loan from Derby and that worked out nicely for us.

I spent the entire half of the season I was at Cambridge trying to fit them all in. But it obviously did work for us. We shot up the table, and we were never out of the top 6 after week 3. We even flirted with the top 2 for several weeks. I was untouchable to the board as we were massively overachieving, again. Just as January came around, Reading came calling. And while I would've loved to have won a second promotion at Cambridge, I knew the squad was nowhere near good enough to play up a level, but absolutely good enough to get there. So I chucked in the towel, and jumped on the next train south...

I left the club in 4th after 26 games, comfortably good enough to go on and at least claim a playoff berth. I'll be keeping my eye on them, for sure. 

League Cup - disaster. Football League Trophy - out in the first knockout. FA Cup - made it to FACR4, but I left before the round took place.

On to Royal Berkshire it is.