16-12-2018, 01:48 PM
2024/2025
Kazincbarcikai Sport Club
Hungarian Division II

Media: 4th
Board: Challenge at the top
Finances: Okay

Squad
Having learned from last season, I knew I needed to concentrate on depth, and thus I took the board's money into the transfer window with an eye to some quality. I grabbed a new keeper and ball-winning African mid on canny frees, then used the cash on hot prospects who had already demonstrated some talent; 70K on a Czech U20 RB, 200K on a new CD, and 120K on a 19yo Serbian striker. I also grabbed a couple of new loans and brought Tivo back for another season. Helping to fund this was Blazer, who was sold to the highest bidder for 190K - heading off to the best team in Hungary.
In: 8 @ 450K
Out: 8 @ 240K

League
Though I'd told the board we'd only challenge for the top places, the players thought we should be aiming for promotion - and I agreed. They repaid my faith as halfway through the season we were sitting pretty in second place. Nightmare and Tivo were taking defences apart, and we were looking good. But just like last year, disaster would strike just after the winter break. Nightmare tore his knee ligaments, and would be out for the season. Then Tivo tore a hamstring. All of a sudden the loan AMC and the young Serbian backup striker were my starting lineup.

We didn't miss a beat.

The boys pressed on, driven by an engine room boasting Hoffbrau, Angry African MC, and the veteran Bench in an attacking central role. We went on a record-breaking 24 game unbeaten run across the cup and the league, and soon found ourselves in first place with 10 to play, and into the cup quarter finals to boot. The fixture congestion forced me to use my entire squad, and some games would end up in butt-clenching draws with 7 players under the age of 21 on the field, but we made it work. We dropped a few games towards the end, but a crushing 4-1 victory over 2nd placed Békéscsaba would seal the deal in terms of promotion, a healthy-again Tivo simply unstoppable with 2 goals and an assist. After they lost their next game, we were confirmed as champions.

We'd also made it through to the semi-finals of the cup, where we'd face eventual Division I runners-up Puskás Akadémia. A kind cup run meant they were the first Division I team we'd played. They completely stuffed us 2-1 at home when I tried to limit damage, but a more throw-caution-to-the-wind approach away saw us return the favour. The game went to penalties, and both sides were locked at 4-4 after 8 attempts when my CB stepped up and smashed the winner home. A cup final then, and we took an early lead before Angry African CM got angry two too many times and saw red - the resulting onslaught from Division I side Balmazújváros FC saw us eventually lose 2-1. Still, very proud of our season regardless, and we get to see how we go in the top tier next year.

Stats
Hungarian Division II: 1st: 25-11-2
Hungarian Cup: Runners up
Top scorer: Tivo, with 24 goals in 34 games
Best player: Tivo again, with 7.24 across his 34

Misc 
* We never really replaced Blazer, but his backup and another youngster carried us admirably across the season
* I won Manager of the Year, which I thought justified
* The board also offered me a new 2 year contract mid-season when they saw what was on the cards for the run home
* Tivo won young player of the year, which was also very justified, especially since he finished 3rd in the top scorers too
* Hoffbrau made team of the season
* We conceded the least goals in the league over the whole year, which also made me very happy.

So next year will be a big challenge then, and I've already started recruting with an eye to more depth. The LB position post-Blazer remains the biggest issue, and that will have to be patched up before I'm confident of putting up a strong fight against relegation.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
17-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Great season! KUTGW! Smile
17-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Nice one! kutgw
17-12-2018, 07:39 PM
yay kutgw
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
30-12-2018, 11:45 PM
Scouts are cunts. Told me this fella was Championship standard. Rocks up for his first day of training, none of my coaching staff agree.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

11-05-2019, 02:58 PM
2025/2026
Hungarian Division I

Media: Last
Board: Fight bravely against relegation

Squad
The director of football went a little mad, signing half-a-dozen players for depth who'd never really emerge from the reserves team. I meanwhile wanted a new left back, which I got, and I also picked up some more depth out wide - a young Slovenian RM who cost me 145K was definitely someone to keep an eye on; I got him with the anticipation that teams would want to move in for Hoffbrau at some point.
In: 12 @ 195K
Out: 9 @ 21K

League
All signs pointed to this being a very tough year, with the media and opposition managers tipping us to drop like a stone. We kicked our season off against Puskás Akadémia, a team that had previously caused problems for us in the Hungarian Cup. We fought bravely but went behind... but then rallied and slammed in two goals to win the match? We took this momentum into the rest of the opening half of the season - performing brilliantly and punching above our weight, despite losing to big sides like Ferencváros and Videoton, and by the time the winter break came we sat in a very unexpected fourth place.

In the second half of the season, things didn't quite click the same way. We lost an important defensive cog, and the replacement who stepped in for him didn't like one of the other defenders - and it showed. We went on to get flogged in a whole heap of games, barely putting up a fight. Luckily, somewhere in this sequence we were assured of staying up thanks to the poor performances of Győr and Vasas. This was a massive relief, because we were in no form to fight a relegation battle. We'd go on to finish the season with 1 win from the final 11 games.

Stats
Hungarian Division I: 6th: 12-7-14
Hungarian Cup: Oh, there was a cup? (Out in the 2nd round, to a 2nd division side)
Top scorer: Tivo, with 19 goals in 27 games
Best player: Tivo again, scoring 7.34 in his 27 games

Misc 
* A Serbian striker I got on loan impressed alongside Tivo, but our main man was the star of the show up front and I finally negotiated with his parent club to sign him permanently.
* During the course of the season there were interview offers from Italy, Austria, Czechia and Croatia - but I spurned them all in order to continue building my project.
* The board had to inject funds in the second half of the season; now that Tivo is going to be mine, I'm going to have to limit spending as much as I can and focus on bringing through some kids. I've a few on loan that might be able to help add depth in the new year.
* I've no idea what I'm going to do with the two defenders who hate each others' guts. They're both contracted for two more years at least; something's going to have to give there.

If you'd offered me sixth - two points off European football no less - at the start of the season, I'd have bitten your hand off. Unfortunately the end of the season made it seem a bit of a fluke, and I worry next season is going to be a struggle. We'll see.

18-05-2019, 03:37 PM
2026/2027
Hungarian Division I

Media: 10th
Board: Avoid relegation

Squad
As mentioned previously, the pressure was on the books this year. We also had some issues with players hating each other. So when Debrecen offered 350,000 for my best CB - who had totally fallen out with one of his teammates last year - I had to think about it, but finally I accepted the offer. That gave me the funds to obtain Tivo permanently (100K) and a classy new Left Winger from Serbia (100K). Amusingly, the other defender who was involved in the dispute last year ended up also wanting to leave. I ended up bringing in two new CBs on loans and another young CB on a free as backup. Later in mid-season, I performed a like-for-like swap with Puskás Akadémia for goalkeepers - their experienced guy was obtained for only 6K while my 25 year old incumbent was sent the other way for 105K. Debrecen would also raid my defence again and obtain my tough RB for 180K, while I extended the loan of a young striker I'd had from last season.
In: 7 @ 205K
Out: 8 @ 625K

League
With my central defensive area looking quite bare with the quarrel brothers out the doors, we shipped a lot of goals early - three okay defenders and a kid from the Under 19s didn't really cut it at Division I level. That said, we weren't short on goals - loan striker Dabby and club stalwart Tivo banged them in, Nightmare occasionally contributing as well. As such, a thoroughly inconsistent start had us safe, but ping-ponging between 8th and 9th places on the table, the relegation spots close behind us. Shipping 10 goals in 2 games to Videoton and Puskás Akadémia then had us 10th leading into the winter break, above the relegation zone by only 2 goal difference.

The off-season signings of the new Goalkeeper and a new loanee RB to replace the one poached by Debrecen helped steady the ship though. Also helping was the emergence of a new superstar in the middle of the park. Bench's ageing legs meant he wasn't as influential this year, but 25 year old Serbian workhorse Lily, who we'd signed for 14K back in 2025, emerged as a dominant force in the division. Tackling, passing, scoring - he'd do it all and more. This in turn allowed Hoffbrau, the new LM, and Hoffbrau's understudy Sandy to run riot down the wings. We snapped out of our malaise and won seven straight league games, climbing away from the relegation zone and into the top half of the table. A tough fixture list at the end limited our success, but we'd still finish in sixth place for the second year running.

Stats
Hungarian Division I: 6th: 14-4-15
Hungarian Cup: Out in the 2nd Round (again)
Top scorer: Dabby popped up with 17 in 30 games
Best player: Supposedly secondary RM Sandy was superb, with 7.26 across 26 games after Hoffbrau got injured

Misc
* I accepted a new two year contract from the board, which seemed to end the previously endless stream of contract offers from both abroad as well as domestic rivals. I was even talked about for the Hungary job, which seemed ridiculous.
* After finally realising that I wasn't going to use the spare 30K in the wage budget considering our middling financial situation, the board decided to trim 20K out of it. That's still fine though, because Nightmare has been taking up 3K a week and he's just not worth that money any longer; he'll be leaving on a free.
* As if my Right Wing depth wasn't already good enough, we seem to have a prodigy in the Under 19s in that position. I might have to prepare some loans or transfers because 3 really good players into one position will not go.

If last season was a strong start followed by a disappointing finish, then this year was almost the complete opposite. By the end of the season we had a really settled squad - the trick will be to see if we can tempt a couple of loanees back, and hold on to the key players like Lily in the centre of the park.

02-06-2019, 07:04 AM
2027/2028
Hungarian Division I

Media: 8th
Board: Safe mid table position

Squad
Very much a season of wheeling and dealing, but not too many players came in the door. A talented Croatian striker came in from Vasas on a free, and Diósgyőr loaned me a young DM who I repurposed into a central midfield rotation option. In the winter break, I grabbed a teenage CB that reigning champs Ferencváros were going to let go for 30K. On the other end of the scale, backup LM went for 38K to Pécs, and several youngsters who weren't good enough let go for free. In the winter break, I finally parted ways with Hoffbrau - Sandy was now first team material and a 325K offer was too good to turn down for a club with not a lot of money in the bank.
In: 3 @ 30K
Out: 7 @ 375K

League
Given we didn't have a lot of reinforcing over the summer, this looked like it was going to be a season of consolidation. The first half of the season reflected this and was pretty mixed. A ten game unbeaten run was the best we managed, but of those only four were wins. We hovered mid-table for much of the year without ever really challenging for Europe. After winter, the board put the club up for sale and the new owners took over about two months later. Rather than paying off some of the club's existing debt, they elected to take out a bank loan. Banghead 

The second half of the season was looking pretty grim to begin with, as we slowly dropped down towards the relegation spots as our strikers severely misfired. Luckily, we then hit a 5 game winning run which put us well and truly into safety. We'd finish the season 8th, not spectacular but pretty safe regardless, and the board was happy with that. They were even happier with our cup run - for the second time in recent memory we made it all the way through to the final, where we pushed Videoton (who would finish second to Ferencváros in the league) all the way to penalties after 120 goalless minutes. We'd lose the penalty shootout 4-1 but I was proud of the boys regardless.

Stats
Hungarian Division I: 8th: 10-10-13
Hungarian Cup: Runners-Up
Top scorer: Young Serbian striker Sibi decided this year he didn't want to be backup any longer, scoring 23 in 28.
Best player: When not injured, Sibi's scoring record lifted him to 7.39 a game.

Misc
* One benefit of the new board is that while their loan-taking attitude was a bit annoying, their ability to attract sponsors was not. Our sponsorship income is doubling next year, which hopefully will help to take the pressure of the books. Finances are still 'Okay' in the meantime.
* We seem to have a habit of developing strong wingers - Sandy is already attracting attention on the right and is regularly playing Slovenian internationals, and Serbian LM Brandy has really come on in the past 12 months as well. Unfortunately the youth players behind them aren't getting enough chances to develop at present.
* Holding onto Serbian midfield general Lily will be a key to getting higher up the table next year. I'm hopeful that if we can add a little more depth we might be in with a chance of getting up to 5th and challenging for a EURO Cup qualification spot.

01-09-2019, 03:13 PM
2028/2029
Hungarian Division I

Media: 9th
Board: Safe mid table position
Finances: Okay

Squad
We let go of a backup DM we'd never use for 10K, and sold a striker we'd previously picked up on a free for 100K, which represented a tidy return for our club. We brought in a couple of loans and then simply looked to strengthen defence and midfield with some bargains. Late in the year we'd pick up an Italian target man for free to keep the striking stocks replenished, but I didn't feel the need to splurge on any big price tags this season.
In: 8 @ 38K
Out: 6 @ 110K

League
A true season of three parts - to open, we absolutely burst out of the blocks with a string of impressive performances, including pulling down Videoton's pants 3-0 at home. Only perennial champions Ferencváros managed to beat us in the opening 10 weeks, and we headed them at the top of the table after that time. Unfortunately we then fell into a bit of a hole, winning only 2 of 10 games heading into the mid-season break and getting turfed out of the cup by Debrecen for our trouble.

The break gave us a chance to reconsider a few things, and allowed me to tweak a few tactics and switch around some personnel. This seemed to improve things somewhat and we again started winning - picking up five wins in six games took us back up from 5th to 3rd and established an important buffer over the teams below. If we finished in the top three, we'd be getting European football. In true Barcika style though, we weren't going to make it easy. We lost a number of games and I watched, sweating buckets, as Diósgyőr ate away at the gap. On the last day of the season, we still had our fate in our own hands - win, and we'd be playing in Europe. We immediately went down in the 8th minute to a mid-table side, while Diósgyőr skipped away to a two goal lead at a cellar dweller. Luckily, lead striker Sibi had other ideas and we pulled one back, before our Serbian superstar mid Lily banged in another with ten minutes to go. We held out the remaining time and emerged with third place and EURO Cup football secured for next season!

Stats
Hungarian Division I: 3rd: 17-7-9
Hungarian Cup: Third Round
Top scorer: Sibi ran rampant, top scoring for the team and the league with 25 in 32.
Best player: As you might expect, Sibi topped this too averaging 7.35 in 32.

Misc
* Won manager of the year for what I felt was a sterling effort
* Ferencváros won the league again, but only by three points this year from Videoton. We were another 18 back!
* Lily, Sandy, and Brandy were the three key midfielders that kept Sibi fed all year, and all have been secured for the forseeable future.
* Our experienced goalie has had his time; his youth player understudy is now just as good, but doesn't have quite the upside that I was hoping for. We might be looking for a new keeper in the off season...

01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Yay Mrgreen kutgw

Will you be looking to move on at any point do you think or is there a chance you'll eventually catch the big boys at the top?

02-09-2019, 01:45 AM
The big boys are definitely a step ahead at present. I think the first task is to establish this sort of finish as not being a one-off piece of luck.

It annoyed me that the media thought we'd actually finish lower than we did last season - hopefully another strong season will stick it right up them.

02-09-2019, 10:21 AM
KUTGW! Good season. Playing Europe should help the finances.