Football The Official League 1 Thread
07-02-2011, 12:47 AM
As there isn't another thread for me to talk about my club in I will start one, not sure anyone else on here supports a League 1 club (although Baz might be next season Mrgreen) but anyway, as there is a League 2 thread we might as well complete the set...

So I'll start by reviewing the last week. We get tonked by Posh 5-3 after taking the lead 3 times, from what I've read the sending off turned the game on it's head. The following day Uncle Milan decides Irvine is no longer the right man for the job, A decision I don't fully agree with, although I understand the reasoning behind it.
So, we finally have a bit of cash in our pockets and Mandaric has stated his aim is to get the club back to the Premier League. In my mind then, he is going to bring in the best manager money can buy... Gary Megson??? Wtf
Now I know he has Premier League experience and he won promotion with WBA, but I'm not entirely sure he is the right man for the job. Having said that though now he is in the hot seat I will get fully behind him.
Have to say though, I did enjoy the dig he made about Bolton in the press conference and the interview afterwards, it did make me chuckle.
So Rob Kelly and Billy Barr were put in charge for the game against McDons with Megson watching. Playing against 9 men and we can only muster a draw. We did the same thing against Yeovil. From now on I think we need to have a word with the referee and ask him to make sure our opponents finish the game with 11 men, we may play a little better then!

Next up for us is Rochdale on Saturday, Megson's first game in charge. It will be interesting to see how he approaches the game. In honesty at the moment I really couldn't care about the performance, I just want those 3 points in the bag.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Well done on completing the set of 'Official' English League threads Biggy I think there is great value to be had in discussing the relevant virtues (or not) of the clubs outside the Prem. My local side's ceiling, Cheltenham Town, is League One but I see them failing in their attempts at reaching the League Two play off positions this time around. Big improvement on last season's flirtation with a return to non-league football though!
07-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I've been thinking of setting this up for a while.

All I have to say at the moment is - Go Brighton!! Mrgreen

They're still ticking along at the top there. It's been quite a while now, but there's still a long way to go. Just got to hold their nerve, but with Bournemouth and Hudersfield not that far behind, and Southampton always capable of putting a run together, it's not going to be easy.

I do remember someone saying something about Sheffield Wednesday pushing for promotion (can't think who), but those comments seem to have gone a bit quiet of late......

Wink
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I've decided to stop jinxing them, I recall twice last season saying we would be playing West Ham this season, and then saying if we got relegated we would be able to visit Elland Road. I got both of those wrong and then started saying that we would win the league at a canter, which again I seem to have got wrong.
So until it is mathematically guaranteed, you will here no promotion talk* from me! Smile

*For at least a day or 2
WAWAW

07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah Brighton are doing very well under Gus Poyet and still in the Cup aren't they. Is the move to the new ground scheduled for the start of next season?

Also very surprised Bournemouth continue to do well after losing Eddie Howe.
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, new ground is due to open at the start of next season. Would be great timing for them to be promoted.

The new stadium is only just up the road from my flat - much closer than the current stadium. Probably about 5 minutes on the bus. Looking forward to that.

Reckon I'll go and watch them more once it's open as it'll be a complete piece of piss to get to. Could even walk home if I wanted to.
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Sadly biggie I think we're going to be spending some time together in this thread next season....
07-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Seagulls \o/

A good friend of mine was born in Brighton
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
08-02-2011, 12:04 AM
(07-02-2011, 08:41 PM)bazhsw Wrote: Sadly biggie I think we're going to be spending some time together in this thread next season....

Friends
WAWAW

12-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Seagulls 4-1 up against Hartlepool!! w00t!!

Jeff Stelling - not happy. Mrgreen
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Another defeat, this time away to Rochdale. That's it, sack the manager! Mrgreen
WAWAW

13-02-2011, 12:28 AM
I should be so much happier than this that Wednesday are fucking up. Having spent most of the afternoon and evening in the company of a Huddersfield fan who continually blathered on about how Hudds were the bigger club and how they were still going to win the title while SW would do well to avoid a relegation scrap, that's not the case. I want the Owls rally and somehow or another deny Hudds the promotion.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
13-02-2011, 01:40 AM
I am trying to remain confident that we can rally and push on back up the table, but each game that passes just seems to dent that confidence.
WAWAW

13-02-2011, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011, 03:24 PM by Soulfusion.)
From what I saw of Huddersfield in the Cup against Arsenal they looked a half decent outfit.

And I don't mean to bait the local Yorkies Wink
21-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Plymouth to go into administration and likely to be docked 10 points. The bottom of the League One table is not easy for the South West region.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...401625.stm
26-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Do we think Brighton are certainties for promotion or is it too early to call. Who else is going up and who is going to fill the play off slots?

I think its Brighton's to lose. I have been impressed how Bournemouth have maintained their challenge but I think back to back promotion will just elude them. Huddersfield to sneak the other promotion slot with Saints, Charlton and Colchester filling the play off slots with Bournemouth.
26-02-2011, 04:00 PM
It's clearly Brighton's to lose, but it's way too early to say they're certainties for promotion.

There's still a long, long way to go.
26-02-2011, 07:20 PM
We managed to record a long overdue win today, first one since mid December and more importantly we kept a clean sheet! \o/
WAWAW

26-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Brighton lost to MK Dons today.

Huddersfield dropped points, which is handy, but Bournemouth won.

Only a 1pt lead now though, so they're going to have to make those games in hand count.
27-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Big, big win for Wednesday today. Defeat would have seen them 18th and very close to the bottom four on points. Play offs probably beyond them now but they need a semi-decentrun in to avoid getting dragged into the relegation fight.

When was the last time a club that size was in League 2 (or equivalent)? Wolves in the Bull and Mutch days?
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"