The Official  Newbie LLaMa Challenge
23-05-2011, 09:30 PM
So close. Next year.
Trying to figure out what the hell a West Midlands is.
23-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Gutterpointed!!
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
24-05-2011, 09:30 AM
2081 - FC Lyn Oslo, Norwegian Second Division Group 1

Four positions I'd like to strengthen, but no new signings before the transfer window closed. A cup run brought fixture congestion, tiredness, injuries and enough money to upgrade the youth facilities. Signed two MCs in July and August on free transfers at the height of the injury crisis.

Somehow though we managed to stay in with a shout - win the last two games and we're champions. Lost 0-3 at home to Asker and it's season over; we then won 2-0 away at Lørenskog, the champions Shrug Luckily the board offered me a new two year contract before the Asker defeat.

League - 3rd - P26 W16 D5 L5 F43 A14 Pts53
Cup - QF - 0-1 Hammerfest (away)

Cups, eh?
24-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Unlucky just missing out on that promotion CB. Maybe next year if you can stregthen with the right personnel. How stable is the save file? It must be huge!
24-05-2011, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011, 10:43 AM by catbasket.)
Desperately need a DL and a DC if we want to mount a serious challenge next season. Plus no 'big' team being relegated into our group would be handy.

The save is now 535MB and the only problems I remember have been a power cut and me accidentally discovering there was a power-off button on the keyboard next to the volume controls.
15-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Note: This is my first LLM save, so I want to explain a bit of why I have made the leap and how I will approach playing FM as a LLM.
First, I chose to become a LLaMa because it is not that far from how I already played FM. I see the challenge to this game as playing it as realistic as possible and seeing how I fair in the dog eat dog world of club management. For me, becoming LLM means using the search options less, since beyond that I was pretty much free of “cheating” in my previous saves.
Second, I am looking to make the game take less time to play. This means the hours I spent looking for players will be done by my scouts (whom I previously did not trust at all). This will allow me to focus on the management of the players and club and shorten the length of time each season takes to finish. I am also changing the way I manage the actual games. I like to play matches on full highlights so I can make changes based on the strategy of the AI and form of my players. I still plan to manage games this way, but without ever stopping the clock. I will not use the pause button except in extreme situations, like walking to the refrigerator for another bowl of ice cream. This seems to add more to the overall realism of the game day (I’m sure managers wish they could pause IRL to pour over what is going wrong).
Finally, I will run clubs with a long term view. I plan to build from youth whenever possible, finding ways to get players into the first team rotation, so that they can show what they have to offer the organization. This means I will have to show a little more patience in the transfer market and wage budget than I have before. I will still be a manager that gives plenty of trials, because IRL I think I would always give a guy a go, if he is local and rated decently by the scouts. However, I will choose who to sign by what they can do for us over a 5 year (or longer) basis more than to just plug in holes or to sell on a profit.
Now with that explanation out of the way, I present my first LLM save: LLaMa LLaMa, Misses Momma.
I felt I needed to move away from Europe for my first save, because I have played there in all my saves. This will keep me from knowing too much about the players in the save and hopefully make me have to work harder at tactics. I thought about where to go and it occurred to me, what better place to be a LLaMa than in the land of llamas.

Leagues loaded:
• All leagues playable in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Peru, and Uruguay.
• All leagues viewable only in USA, England, France, Italy, Scotland, Spain, and Australia.
• I feel this gives me a big world of players outside of South America, where my whole career will take place.

2009-2010
Palmas FR
Brazil Third Division, Group M
Tocantins State Championship

Media prediction: 5th
Board expectations: Win the state championship, Compete in the Third Division
Transfer budget: 33k
Club finances: (60k)

In a State of Gray
Needing a new set of surroundings I decided to pursue a career in South America. After applying for jobs in the lowest leagues in Brazil, Uruguay and Chile, I was approached by Palmas FR and another Brazilian Third Division team. I chose Palmas, because they had only young players on the team and I figured I could start right off working on bringing them through the first team and building on the youth. Unfortunately, my poor handle on Portuguese kept me from realizing that youth players may not play in the first team in Brazil. This meant I inherited a team with no paid first team players and a board that wanted to win the state championship with all grays.
I had to quickly get busy in the transfer market, while hoping not to get too far behind in the standings before assembling a professional first team. The board was good enough to give me 33k to spend, but in the Third Division you can only attract 30-somethings. We won only one of the first six games, while I searched for players. Fortunately, most of the teams in our state are all gray players, which gave us a chance to catch up to them in the end.
My strategy was to buy a starter and backup for each defensive position so that I could be strong in the back even if I was tired up front. After a few poor showings I also decided that I was going to play with all guns blazing. Brazilian soccer football is fun and very attacking (I didn’t use the 422 because I’m not sure how it works). It was not until the ninth game of an 18 game season that I had a starting lineup with no grays, which was what helped us go undefeated the final 12 games of the season. We ended up winning the state championship with one game to spare and by 10 points. I felt pretty good about meeting the board expectation while using only 19.5k in wages to do it.
Tocantins State Championship
W D L GD Pts.
Palmas FR 13 2 3 27+ 42
Tocantinopolis 8 8 2 +7 32
Gurupi 8 6 4 +7 30

Then it was time for our group play in the Third division. We were in Group M, which means nothing to me. However, the number of games picked up to two and three a week. I was glad I had brought in first team and backup players for all the defensive positions. It showed too. We were undefeated in the group and only conceded 4 goals over the 14 games. I was now managing a team that was breaking club records for wins in a row, games without conceding, and games without a defeat. We easily won our group riding a streak of 26 games without a loss. So it was on to the 2nd round.
We played Rio Branco in the two legged affair. We played well, but it was obvious that the teams in these rounds are a step better. We played them away in the first game and had most of the possession and a few great chances. We could only come away with one goal in the end, mostly because their keeper played with his hair on fire. After the first leg it was a hard fought draw. Game two was a carbon copy of the first, but we didn’t let them score. We were in to the next round on a 2-1 aggregate.
By now I knew the 3rd round was going to really challenge us especially because it meant we would have played four games in two weeks. We faced Mirassol, who were a strong and deep team. The first game was at home and turned out to be an exciting and tight game. We played well, but on our heels to a 2-2 draw. By now we were very tired and nursing a few injuries. Being thin up front really showed in this game as we had 50% of the possession, but managed 0 shots in the whole game. It all came down to a penalty given up in the 7th minute and we fell 1-0 and 3-2 on aggregate. Our first loss in 30 games.
Brazilian Third Division, First Stage, Group M
W D L GD Pts.
Palmas FR 12 2 0 +32 38
Aguia de Maraba 9 3 2 +17 30

Cups
None this year, but we qualified for the Brazilian Cup next year.

Player out: None (only 15 and 16 year olds at the club)
Players in: 20 (9 free transfers, 7 transfers for $0, 4 Loans)
Highs: Getting a good team for free. Having them jell and play 29 games without a loss. Making up a tactic that worked.
Lows: Having 9 of my 16 contracted players over 30. Leaking so much money despite being well under the wage budget (a 55k cash infusion was needed at the end of the year.
Future plans: Figure out whether I need to get the squad younger and better in the off season or stay with what I have.

I will continue a a new thread after getting through year three...
15-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Nice work and welcome to the dark side. Here's your cookie
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
15-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Encouraging start in Brasil there Deacon. A season there seems like two in Europe!

kutgw
15-07-2011, 10:42 AM
^wts good start

I've often considered playing with full match highlights myself but felt it would take me too long to get through a season. Maybe I will if I ever get more spare time. Mrgreen

15-07-2011, 03:08 PM
(15-07-2011, 10:42 AM)Rodderas Wrote: ^wts good start

I've often considered playing with full match highlights myself but felt it would take me too long to get through a season. Maybe I will if I ever get more spare time. Mrgreen

I play with the speed one tick from the top. I like it because I feel I can see what is and isn't working before it's too late. It does take about 20 to 30 minutes a game though.
19-07-2011, 11:25 PM
fm2011 Season 1 - Eastleigh - Blue Square South

Media: 9th
Board Top Half
Players in: 14 for 2k
Players out 20 for 1k

We were over our wage budget when I arrived, with the squad full of overpaid 'stars' and hopeless youths. Many of these were either paid to leave the premises or, if clubs could be persuaded to take them, given away for free. My 2 scouts got to work notably finding me a Scottish MC with 8 caps (!), a Congolese ST (neither of whom had been with a club for 2 years) and a young English DC.

League
We started off with a win, a draw and a defeat and this inconsistency continued until about November. We then went on a six match winning streak and after two defeats, a four match winning streak to bring us within three points of the top. Unfortunately our form stuttered in the last fifteen or so games to leave us in 4th, ten points behind eventual winners Dover. On the plus side, we did have the playoffs to look forward to.

FA Cup
Out after forcing a first round replay with Barnet. We beat non playable sides to get that far though.

FA Trophy
The campaign began with wins over unplayable Paulton before we beat Staines, Dartford (after a replay) and Woking.
We then stunned everybody's least favourite non-league side Crawley in the quarter final to put us up against Newport county. We took a 0-0 to their place and went up early on. Despite getting battered for the rest of the game, we only conceded once meaning the tie went to penalties which we won 4-2.
The final was against another Premier side, York, in front of the famous empty seats of Wembley (70000 empty seats to be precise). We outplayed them and even missed a penalty in the first half. Sadly we couldn't capitalise and I feared the worst for my tired players as the match went to extra time. Oddly there were literally no highlights until 126 mins until loanee NornIrish ST (who'd managed 2 goals all season) met a cross from the left to put me 1-0 ahead. We shut up shop and the cup was ours!Rockbanana We netted a cool 50k in prize money to put our Finances in the black and the victory got me listed in the club's favourite personnel.

Playoffs
For some reason, we never really got going in the home leg and were down 2-0 early on to Maidenhead. We managed to pull it back to 2-1 but with our mammoth FA Trophy final in on the Saturday in between the two midweek playoff legs, I didn't hold much hope. We went 2-0 down again at home and although we managed to battle back to 2-2 we never really looked like making the final.

Top Scorer - Congolese ST - 25
PotY - Congolese ST
20-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Deacondakin: Oh, Brazilian football. Spent a lot of time down there myself, and I always enjoy it. Nice first season as well, much better start than I've ever managed Mrgreen Good luck next season, and keep the updates coming!

Green Llama: Nice first season! How's the finances (wage budget especially) after the cup win and very good first season? Have you gotten the wage budget under control or has it been increased? KUTGW!
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

20-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Congratulations on the Trophy win. How did Maidenhead do in the play-off final?
20-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Solid start to your FM11 Llama career Green Llama. Promotion next year?
20-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Cheers lads
Sacked Llama: Finances looking great. Obviously, we'd be pissing money away even with no wages to pay (our average attendance was 434 last year) but because we start season 2 plus 90k we should be able to finish this one in the black. Wage budget has been increased for slightly next year.
Ben: No Maidenhead lost to Basingstoke, obviously since they enjoy destroying my dreams too much to get promoted
Soulfusion: Well for some reason everybody else has decided it will be promotion next yearShrug We've been predicted 2nd and the board expect a title challenge
20-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Good first seasons for both of you, looking forward to read your next updates. kutgw
20-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice work. I've never come near winning the Trophy and the Brazilian 3rd is like a hall of mirrors.
27-10-2011, 12:02 AM
just wanted to ask, is it ok to have a one nation save or should it be more? I've started a Belarus first league with a team predicted to finish bottom.
Managing Mediocrity Since CM 97-98!
Currently Unemployed
27-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Personal preference tbh.

Most prefer to have the ability to move around but it's your choice. If you're using FM12 you can always add leagues later on (bugs permitting, of course Wink ).
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
27-10-2011, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2011, 10:07 AM by sparkyuk71.)
(27-10-2011, 12:06 AM)JP Wrote: Personal preference tbh.

Most prefer to have the ability to move around but it's your choice. If you're using FM12 you can always add leagues later on (bugs permitting, of course Wink ).

Thanks i'm using fm2011, not sure how many I can load before game slows down, I already only get two stars at best!
Managing Mediocrity Since CM 97-98!
Currently Unemployed