The Official  Introduction Thread (see first post for index)
09-01-2011, 05:16 PM
(09-01-2011, 05:41 AM)aaron70 Wrote: Real Name: Aaron

Three Films (sequels/franchises count as one): The Road

Uh-oh...

Welcome to the new new blokes and the new old blokes.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
New blokes on the block Wink
Welcome all

(09-01-2011, 04:52 AM)Fenomen Wrote: Mile dobrodosao, Yavor welcome Smile All we need now is someone from Greece and Montenegro to create an LLM-Balkan clan.Mrgreen

Now that would be awesome, Živio Darko
(29-05-2014, 07:27 AM)keefa Wrote: Mile + pot = Very happy Mile

09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
(09-01-2011, 05:16 PM)JP Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 05:41 AM)aaron70 Wrote: Real Name: Aaron

Three Films (sequels/franchises count as one): The Road

Uh-oh...

Welcome to the new new blokes and the new old blokes.

Why? I've read the book and thought it was good but exceptionally bleak and difficult to get through. Is the film not very good?
09-01-2011, 09:11 PM
No, it is not. Smile

Quote:The Road

Beautifully shot bleakness, wonderfully bleak acting by Mortensen, and very thought provoking if you like thinking about bleakness. This film is bleak if you hadn't guessed. Fine in theory. Fail in practice.

Man and boy survive unspecified apocalypse, go on the road to head south (because stupid, almost certainly, but maybe not dead mummy said so), run into people every mile of the way (even though nearly everyone is supposed to be dead), make such stupid decisions that you can't help wonder how they've survived this long in the first place. And daddy mollycoddles the boy so much that he's certain to die the moment daddy's gone, even though he's supposed to be preparing him to survive alone. I wanted to slap the boy for being such a fucking pussy - this kid has been on the road with his papa for a long time, he's seen some pretty bleak shit, yet at every opportunity he's crying like a little baby, drawing attention to them when surely he would have learned by now to shut the fuck up and instead of daddy slapping some sense into him and telling him he needs to grow the fuck up fast (he sorta does once and then immediately says sorry as soon as the brat starts blubbing) he just cuddles, kisses and tells him "there there, it's ok"! Because everyone is a 'bad guy' and they're the 'good guys' "right papa?". "Yes son". Over and over. Gah! They go from place to place, meet people, run away, rinse and repeat. And then they find the coast, daddy dies and boy finds nice family to look after him. Just like that. The end.

It's apparently very close to the book (which I haven't read - nor will I now), so I'm assuming the book is as dull, stupid and boring as the movie. Heard this was bleak (it is that), deeply moving and thought provoking and an antidote to brainless popcorn post-apocalyptic movies. It's not. It's an antidote for being awake.

It's very well shot and acted in parts, but fails to grip at all, failed to invoke the necessary empathy a movie like this needed to carry it (I really, really kept hoping that the kid would just shoot himself whenever daddy left the gun with him) and was ultimately just boringly dull and thoroughly disappointing.

4/10

And see here where I tell Andy why he's just wrong to like it, against all logic. Nuts

09-01-2011, 09:43 PM
You're Welsh. A country whose entire cultural output is singing miners. As such, this has rendered you culturally stunted and unable to appreciate wonderful films like The Road.

Now I don't hold this against you, but I feel it should be noted so people don't go thinking you're an expert and taking your ridiculous opinions seriously.

Wink
09-01-2011, 10:01 PM
You didn't need the safety wink, cagiva's not here yet Mrgreen
09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Ahh, I've stopped giving him safety winks. I like the thought of him frothing and gesticulating at the screen.
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
0-4, 2-1. That is all. Smug

09-01-2011, 10:36 PM
You wish. Unfortunately, there's 44 other games that you have to play, and you're guaranteed to fuck up enough of them to stay in Division 2.
09-01-2011, 10:59 PM
You're probably right. Still kicked your asses though.

Quote:As such, this has rendered you culturally stunted

This however, as a Leeds fan, does prove you have a fine honed sense of irony. Or none at all. Wink

09-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Ah, but I am a Mancunian. As anyone will tell you, 99% of bands of cultural value come from Manchester.
09-01-2011, 11:31 PM
The Mancunian equivalent of singing miners. Wink

10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
(07-01-2011, 08:53 PM)WilliamMcBeard Wrote: Hope everyone speaks Croatian, not too hot on my Serbian/Bosnian/Bulgarian!

Serbian's just like Croatian apart form the Cyrillic Wink

And at least there's more Croats than Serbs Croatia

Wink

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Serbs. It's really the West Australians you have to worry about...
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
[Image: 3469r7t.png] CF Reus Deportiu
10-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Howdy folks- first time here, veteran of the SI LLM forum and Hut (though not for some time at either place)

Nationality: American

Geek Factor: CM/FM (since CM4), reading history & fantasy books, computer gaming (FRPG mostly, some turn-based strategy)

Non-geek hobbies: Playing guitar, shooting

Preferred Music: Alt-Country and Southern Rock

Three Films (sequels/franchises count as one): Napoleon Dynamite, Red Dawn, 1776

LLM?: Fall of 2003 but now not technically since I use Uncle Ron's tier 7 & 8 for fm 10 (have 11 but have not started a game yet- third patch rule!)

Personal stuff I don't mind sharing: ex-USAF, married, 1 child; worked on the EHM franchise for SI through all versions as a league researcher
10-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Welcome Jeff, great occupation if I might add Smile
10-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Welcome along Jeff, will you be posting updates in the LLM-but..... section?

Guitar player Thup

10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I thought the Dr Hook username looked familiar Smile

Welcome aboard Jeff Thup
10-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellas! Yes, I will do updates in the LLM But section; probably when I ramp up a new game on 11- I am 8 seasons into my 2010 save, and am not ready to give it up just yet and waiting for the final patch.

Fenomen- I used to think it was a great occupation until I started doing it Mrgreen
but, it does beat working for a living I guess!
10-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey Jeff. Good to see you Thup

11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi new/old people :wave:
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
[Image: 3469r7t.png] CF Reus Deportiu