Football Goal line technology
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
The 10 yard rule from rugby would have to implemented also to stop the players surrounding the Ref every 2 minutes. Maybe as mentioned before, the ref only talks to the captains too.

All that said something has to change.
No longer mismanaging: Lower Maze, Northern Ireland Championship 2
02-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Lee - I'm talking about anything to decide whether or not a goal stands. That includes Chelsea's second goal. The ball was in the net, the game was stopped, how difficult would have been to check a replay quickly to make sure it was legit?

If Kalou hadn't scored, there'd be no need to review the replay to see if he was offside - you just carry on.

There is a possibility that it could be used for dodgy penalty decisions - I don't think checking replays would slow the game down much - the game normally stops for a few seconds anyway while everyone protests one way or the other.

Mostly though, you're talking about clearing up 2 issues: 1) Did the ball cross the line?, and 2) If it did, is the goal legitimate?

All other decisions are of much less importance and should be left to the ref.
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
But it will just extend in the future, a dodgy free kick in their own half, taken quickly which then leads to a goal, should we then call for a replay to see if the free kick was warranted or not? A throw in given the wrong way leads to a goal being scored, should that then get reviewed as well? Corners? Goal kicks? As technology is introduced there will be more and more calls for this sort of thing
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]

02-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Well then that's where the people running the game would need some restraint.

Like I said, it hasn't ruined Rugby because they don't over use it, so there's no reason it should become over used in football. After all, football is an absolute world away from the likes of NFL. It would never become anything like as stop/start as that.
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
They already have restraint by not introducing it Mrgreen
Seriously though, it will be people power that forces their hand to introduce it for 'goal line' decisions. Then people power will force them to extend it for all goals, ie offsides, dodgy penalties etc. Then people will call for it to be introduced for other aspects and this is when it will start to get out of control.

02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
But the less important the decisions, the less powerful the people power would get.....and eventually it would peter out.

Like my stance for instance - is it/isn't it a goal = yes; is it a penalty = maybe; anything else = no.

I'm sure a lot of people would feel that way as well, so the people power would only go so far.
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm with Big Evil in this debate. Football is about passion and technology in the game will remove that passion. If every decision could be checked and counter checked what would be left to talk about. Lets face it we all like a bit of controversy. And over a season bad decisions even themselves out.

When players make as few mistakes during a game as the officials then consider other technology.

Human decisions are at the soul of our Game.

It might be goal line technology today but that is the short end of the wedge as once that technology is proved other decisions will be considered key.
02-05-2011, 11:10 PM
That's your stance now daf, but say in 10 years time, hypothetically West Ham are competing at the top end of the league. Dodgy ref awards a free kick in say Arsenal's half to them, they take it quickly and score the only goal of the game to win the title by a point from West Ham. Goal Line technology is already in use at this point. You're telling me that you wouldn't be campaigning for the technology to be used for free kicks given incorrectly?
Basically what I'm getting at is the stance you are taking now is the same stance that everyone in favour of the technology is taking. Once this becomes commonplace in the game in much the same way as say red and yellow cards are now most people's stance will change to lobby for technology to come in for incorrectly given free kicks etc

02-05-2011, 11:32 PM
West Ham losing the title by a point?

I'll take that. Mrgreen

I know what you're trying to say, Lee and you may be right. But, with your hypothetical situation, while most West Ham fans on that day would probably be outraged by technology not being used to prevent the dodgy free kick, would there be a swell of support from everyone else? I'm not so sure.

After all, with a free kick like that in the opposition half, there would be other events between the free kick and the goal being scored that could have prevented the goal - the actual decision to award the free kick does not directly guarantee the goal.

I honestly don't think mass calls for technology would creep that far. You might get the odd person saying it should happen for free kicks, but I think most people are sensible enough to realise that realistically you can't take things that far. You have to draw the line in the way I outlined in my previous post. It can't go further than that or you really would start impacting on the fluidity of the game.
02-05-2011, 11:48 PM

I don't actually blame India for that. The ICC make enough money out of the game and merchandising to be able to fund it, at least partially, and if they want the UDRS then they should fund it. Not the broadcasters/home boards as it stands currently.
03-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Should definitely be in place for "did the ball cross the line" decisions. It's relatively quick, relatively easy and I don't think it has to be a slippery slope either -- it's pretty much exactly how the NHL does it and it hasn't ruined hockey by a long shot.
03-05-2011, 03:08 PM
WHS
If implemented well, it doesn't have to ruin the game.
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Surely it would be fine to stick a little camera in the post of each goal and send those feeds through to the fourth official. When the ball gets close he watches that feed and if the ball goes over he presses a little button to let the ref know it's a goal. Simple, easy, no need to stop the game unnecessarily and the decision is still made by a human for you robot haters Wink
03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Just thought, what if managers make their 'post' defenders stand right in front of the camera so no-one can see whether the ball crosses the line? Inconclusive evidence would mean no goal Mrgreen

A strip camera along the underside of the crossbar might be best.
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM

04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Hawkeye ftw. Thup
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Oh please no. The worst thing about watching the tennis now is the stupid crowd doing the "oooooooooooOOOOOOEH!" every time there's a challenge
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
04-05-2011, 06:30 PM

Oh please no. The worst thing about watching the tennis now is the stupid crowd doing the "oooooooooooOOOOOOEH!" every time there's a challenge

[/quote]

Mrgreen
23-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Last nights Barcelona-Sevilla game with Kanoute kicking the ball away from the penalty spot before starting a fight with Fabregas, got me thinking about this thread again and Sevilla alone makes a strong case why the ref should have the opportunity to watch replays and then make his decision. I think he did make the right decision in the Barcelona game, but that's because it's Barcelona and the ref always tries to give them an edge (like when Jordi Alba (Valencia) was sent off for saying something to the ass.ref. when playing against Barca).

But look at the other clip from the Sevilla-Valencia match. The clip shows Aduriz (Valencia) getting sent off. I don't defend Aduriz as he should have walked away instead of reacting to the provocations, but is it just me or does it look like it was almost planned from Sevillas side? Maybe not planned, but when one Sevilla player goes down, acting like he's been shot, the other is very quick to get the assistants referee's attention. Whenever I see that clip, I'm just disgusted by their behavior and the fact that neither the referee or the league are doing anything to stop it. Or discipline cheaters like Sevilla. And if the ref had taken a look at this clip before making his decision, would he have judged the situation and outcome differently? Remember that at this time Sevilla only had 9 players left on the field and I guess the Sevilla players thought it would be too hard holding on to a 1-0 lead for 20 minutes being two men down. So they made sure Aduriz got sent off as well.

Unsportsmanlike conduct isn't exactly rare in Sevilla. They are the reason why the league had to create a new rule, unique (I think) to la liga, saying that if the home team throws a second ball onto the pitch to waste time (as the ref would have to stop the game), the club will be fined. Sevilla did this repeatedly last season (and once again against Valencia earlier this season). Well, do they care if they get fined? If they get three points being successful in wasting time, do they care about a small fine afterwards? It just doesn't help the team that's being cheated on the field and ends up without points (like Valencia).

Last night was another tragic display by an awful Sevilla team which lacks discipline and a concept of fair play. I know there's a lot of cheating everywhere, and Barcelona players sure likes to act a bit themselves given the appropriate opportunity, but I just think Sevilla are hitting a new low every week. Looks like the only way they're getting points this season is by cheating. But maybe they would finally get caught if two-three assistants were watching the game from the booth and could signal the ref whenever a team was cheating.

You would never remove the element of human error from the referee (just look at the NFL), but some technology could perhaps help limit the cheating and overacting which I think has gotten out of hand and is a disgrace to the sport.
- Relegating teams since 2007!
------------------------------
Currently managing:
Fram Larvik
Norwegian Premiership

23-10-2011, 01:40 PM
One rule change I'm always in favour of (especially since we play in the AFC) is that, if a player requires being stretchered off the pitch, he should not be allowed back on for a period of say 5 minutes, unless he is substituted.

I am sick of teams using the tactic of stretchering off a player to waste time, only to have him magically leap from the stretcher once over the white line.
Currently managing: CS Concordia Chiajna, Romanian Liga I