Poll: Which general area would be acceptable?
This poll is closed.
Midlands
30.77%
4 30.77%
London
46.15%
6 46.15%
Either
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Alcoholic Beverages LLM.com Get-together
29-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I like the look of September. 2hrs30mins for me on the mainline.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
29-07-2011, 10:29 AM
To London or Birmingham?
29-07-2011, 10:35 AM
i'd definitely be up for this, but I take an hour to get to London and have no clue how long it'd be to go up to B'Ham since i'd have to switch from London anyway.. but it'd depend on whether I have uni stuff to do or not which would decide my attendence
[Image: purpledudettesigcopy.jpg]
29-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I think I will probably be back in Perth by that time chaps. Bringing it to midway would be uh, somewhere in the Indian ocean.

Ooh, there's a nerdy idea for someone. Geomap all the IP addresses on this site and find the average 'central' location Mrgreen

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
29-07-2011, 12:02 PM
September isn't really good for me, neither is October, November might be doable as long as it doesn't clash with her birthday.
London is about an hour (I think) by train, although much more expensive.

That Geomap idea is interesting Dave, however I hope my work has fixed the issue that makes Geomap think we are in Vietnam Mrgreen
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

29-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Home to Paddington just over 3 hours; Home To Brum New Street up to 1 hr 20.

Of course the challenge getting to the end destination of a major city(London/Birmingham) instead of a provincial town, say Nuneaton, is that there is still additional travelling time to consider. So, for example, to get to Woking from Paddington shall require a further overland or Tube connection whereas for a provincial town we could all meet up at the pub next to said train station before moving 'en masse' to the match. Just a thought.

Also its been a while since I've been to the Smoke; is it £5 per pint there yet?
29-07-2011, 12:47 PM
How on earth does it take 3 hours to get to Paddington from Cheltenham? Cheltenham isn't far from Swindon so I can't see how it takes that long
WAWAW

29-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Cheltenham to Paddington is just over 2 hours.

I live further west though in the Forest of Dean; depending on time train services go via Gloucester to London or via Severn Tunnel change Bristol to London

Cheltenham is very doable for me though if we want to watch a League 2 match Mrgreen
29-07-2011, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2011, 01:06 PM by Ben O'Bagels.)
Usually have to change at Bristol or Swindon from Cheltenham, with the train from Cheltenham not being particularly fast. Paddington and Birmingham are both a piece of piss from Reading.

Worcester City if we want to stick to a regional Conference match, Soulfusion. Wink
29-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah Worcester works well for me also Wink

In the past I do recall missing a London departure from Gloucester but being able to drive to Swindon and catch the train there due to the pedestrian nature of the service from this part of the world.
29-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Can I make a suggestion as we're getting nowhere choosing a location. Mrgreen

How about we start with a poll to help narrow it down a bit?

We could start simple: Birmingham area, London area, Neither.

That would give us a fighting chance of choosing a team once we've made that decision.
29-07-2011, 02:36 PM
At the moment I think we have a fair idea of the geographical spread of those that have expressed an interest. Billy Mac is up in the North West; daf, Roddas and Trickstahz are South and East of London; Fidsy is London area; Ben, Big Evil and myself are along the M4 corridor.

I guess, in an ideal world, we would want to limit travel time to 2 - 3 hours

We have still to hear from our Welsh and Yorkie contingent.
29-07-2011, 02:49 PM
In all seriousness I do think it's better to nail down an idea of who is likely to come before deciding a location. If everyone was going to be coming from the south it'd make more sense to do a southern game than a midlands one for example. Albeit we've got at least one from the north so that example is irrelevant. Mrgreen
29-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Ok, well let's leave this running for a little while then to see who else is interested.
29-07-2011, 07:34 PM
(29-07-2011, 02:36 PM)Soulfusion Wrote: Fidsy is London area

Surrey Bat
29-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Extract from Wikipedia re. Surrey:

Surrey /ˈsʌri/ is a county in the South East of England and is one of the Home Counties. The county borders Greater London, Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire and Berkshire. The historic county town is Guildford. Surrey County Council sits at Kingston upon Thames, although this has been part of Greater London since 1965.

'London area' was a generalisation but appropriate for the context of the discussion Tongue
29-07-2011, 10:48 PM
This is like herding cats llamas Mrgreen
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
30-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I've voted for either, takes 2.5 hours to get to new street or an hour to get to Paddington, however I was shocked to find out that the price is exactly the same for either one. The next step for price of course is where we are going to be going to from the main station.
WAWAW

30-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Unsurprisingly, I've voted for London, given I basically have to go through London anyway to go anywhere else.
30-07-2011, 04:51 PM
^whs