Football Ballon D'Or
01-11-2011, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM by deanashtonsfoot.)
It seems we don't have a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one as this year's nominations have been announced.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying more British players deserve to be involved, as they don't. We are generally pretty shit at the moment.

I also concede that Barcelona are clearly going to feature heavily on the list, given the sheer ridiculousness of their team right now.

BUT.....are you really telling me that 13 of the best 23 players IN THE WORLD over the last 12 months play for 2 clubs in Spain? What a load of sloppy arse biscuits. It gets on my tits how much the football community wanks off Barcelona and Real Madrid. They have great teams, but seriously, people need to take their blinkers off. Then there's some slightly undeserving inclusions from the usual suspects from Italy. Players from the Premier League always get a raw deal with nominations for these awards.

I'm not going to go into everyone who I think should have been included, but if I was RVP right now, I'd be a bit pissed off.....28 goals in 27 games during 2011, plus 6 goals in 8 games at International level, is obviously completely shit. I know he's had a few injury lay-offs, and Arsenal haven't won anything, but still....his form this year has been pretty shithot. But, clearly, Thomas Muller's 4 goals in 18 games this season is way better. And has Benzema really had a better year on an individual level? Or Diego Forlan, who's managed just 11 in 47 since August 2010?

I think David Silva must be wondering what he has to do to get on this list as well tbh. My advice is to move back to Spain. Meh
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Some very good points there, and for similar reasons I can't imagine there will be an international tournament on these shores for a long while yet.
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Completely Agree Thup
02-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Personally, I think the Ballon d'Or is more than just scoring goals. Otherwise, it's rather unfair on most defenders (although that's how it is anyway). When you look at it, yes RVP has been on fire when fit, but there's the crux. When fit. It's all well and good to score a goal per game, but if you play one game in every 3 that might hurt your standings when it comes to recognition.

Now, seeing as the award is given to the best player over the previous season I can easily see why some of the players are on that list and some aren't

Let's look at the nominees.

Silva was absolute shit for Valencia and Spain last season. It's no wonder that the moment he came off in the WC final Spain started to pressure the Netherlands better. In fact, that WC hooking was the highlight of his season

Rooney was shit, and has the handicap of being English. Which means he'll never be as good as the Spanish

Forlan and Suarez lit up the WC and dragged Uruguay to 4th. But of course, they're just shit, cheats and divers.

Others:
Eric Abidal - Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final
Sergio Aguero - had a stormer with Atletico, 3rd in La Liga goals. Otherwise not much going for him
Karim Benzema - 15 goals, Copa del Rey
Iker Casillas - World Cup, Copa del Rey
Cristiano Ronaldo - Golden shoe, Copa del Rey. FB player, for a wanker
Dani Alves - Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final
Samuel Eto'o - Serie A. Trading on reputation here mostly. Shouldn't be in the list
Cesc Fabregas - World Cup. Best player at Arsenal by far. More of a 'oh, we should add some EPL players otherwise the English will complain' than anything else though
Andres Iniesta - World Cup (including the winning goal), Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final
Lionel Messi - nuff said
Thomas Muller - 3rd in the WC. one of Germany's best players. Great season with Bayern as well
Nani - lol. Throwing a bone at Man Scum here
Neymar - trading on 'hot new thing' reputation and the excitement factor. Dragged Santos to title and Libertadores
Mesut Ozil - Same as Muller, except Champs League semis with Schalke
Gerard Pique - World Cup, Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final
Bastian Schweinsteiger - see: T. Muller
Wesley Sneijder - Serie A, WC final
David Villa - World Cup, Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final
Xabi Alonso - World Cup, Copa del Rey
Xavi - World Cup, Champs League, La Liga, Copa del Rey final

So really, you should be complaining about the heavy bias to World Cup and major tournament winners. But no, you're right. I can't believe such mighy fine footballers such as, erm, Mark Noble and er, John Terry were left out.

And why wasn't Smeltz included? WORLD CUP GOALSCORER!!!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
02-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Smeltzy, Smeltzy...
Currently managing: CS Concordia Chiajna, Romanian Liga I
02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Surely this year's award should have nothing to do with the WC? That should have been dealt with in the 2010 nominations.

I realise it's more than just scoring goals, but for STs goals are a key factor and all the playets I compared to RVP are STs. They are primarily judged by the goals they score.

Also, being in a team that wins a trophy means dick. This sort of award should be based on individual performance. Or should David May have been nominated in 1999? Wink

And why mention Noble and Terry? I said in my post no other British playets deserved inclusion - that wasn't my point.
02-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Depends whether the WC counted as a season starting or season ending event. Seeing the heavy bias towards Spanish players, I lean towards the former.

ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
02-11-2011, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM by deanashtonsfoot.)

Depends whether the WC counted as a season starting or season ending event. Seeing the heavy bias towards Spanish players, I lean towards the former.
[/quote]

I've always classed the WC as a season ending event. I'd be astonished if it is classed as a season starting event.

If they're basing nominations announced in November 2011 on performances in a tournament held in June/July 2010, then there's something seriously wrong with their system tbh.

It's like Radiohead's album 'In Rainbows' being nominated for Best Album at the 2009 BRITS when it was released in 2007. Completely ridiculous. Mrgreen
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
The fact that the award is made in January 2012 should surely mean the WC which was played 18 months ago should have nothing to do with it. This award is for the calendar year of 2011, not the season of 2010/11
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]

02-11-2011, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM by deanashtonsfoot.)

Exactly. That's how I would read it, and that's how it should be. If they're basing the award on the previous season, rather than calendar year, the award should be made in the summer.

However, I think with the changes to the award made last year, they appear to have changed it to represent the previous season....or at least that's what Wiki says.

So, what, does it take them 4 months to decide who to nominate?

My points still stand re the WC. That should have been taken into account in last year's nominations.
02-11-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd say the reason Silva was shit for Valencia last season was because he was lighting up the Premier League for Man City.
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM by deanashtonsfoot.)
Just to labour the point massively though, I know Barcelona and Madrid have great teams now, but they haven't always.

Yet you look at the nominations for the Top 3 for World Player of the Year and they dominate it completely since its inception in 1991:

9 clubs have received more than 1 nomination for the Top 3 since then:

Barcelona - 20
Real Madrid - 11
Juventus - 6
AC Milan - 6
Inter - 5
Man Utd - 5
Arsenal - 3
PSV - 2
Bayern - 2

I know they've had some great players, but really? 31 out of 60 nominations spanning 20 years? Over HALF split between 2 clubs? That's just ridiculous. Barcelona have a third on their own and they've not been that great apart from the last 5 years or so.

Having said all that, I will accept that this year they deserve to dominate the Top 3 - it should be Messi, Ronaldo and one of Xavi or Iniesta. Clearly, Messi should win it.
02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
1991? I thought it was first introduced in 1956, when the winner was Stanley Matthews, or are you on about the World Player of the Year?

Ballon D'Or before last year was for the European player of the year, last year they merged it with the World player of the year

02-11-2011, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM by deanashtonsfoot.)
I'm talking about World Player of the Year.

The Ballon D'Or is now that....they seem to have scrapped the European Player of the Year award by "merging" it with the World Player of the Year.

That did make sense really, as it had become pointless imo. Half the time it was won by a South American, as they made it European-based player of the Year, rather than actually being European Player of the Year. That basically makes it a World Player of the Year award anyway.

They should re-introduce a proper European Player of the Year award. Much like all the other continents have. Hence why players like Harry Kewell won the Oceania Player of the Year and Drogba and Eto'o won the African Player of the Year.
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Let's be honest, you're just gutted Scott Parker isn't on the shortlist of nominees Wink
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Mrgreen
02-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Except the FIFA Ballon d'Or is awarded for the previous season

Quote:The FIFA Ballon d'Or is an association football award given annually to the player who is considered to have performed the best in the previous season.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Keep up Tom, Daf already mentioned that 7 posts before yours Wink

Even so, the World Cup is the climax to the season and not the start of the next, hence why the players go on holiday after the World Cup and not before.

02-11-2011, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM by deanashtonsfoot.)

Well, I didn't like to mention it, but..... Tongue

Precisely. If these nominations are still taking into account performances at the WC, their system is seriously flawed.

There's no way someone like Forlan, who was pretty average last season, should be included on this list of nominations. Fabregas also had a pretty poor season at Arsenal, but ofc he now plays for Barcelona so must be included..... Wink
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
It's all to do with the size of your pocketbook now anyway, and it would seem England don't have a very big one...