Football Euro 2012 Finals
23-11-2011, 03:10 PM
So now the Euro qualifiers and play off stages are complete we know the sixteen competitors for next years Finals in Poland and Ukraine. UEFA have placed those qualifiers into four pots and the draw is scheduled next Friday.

Pot 1: Spain, Netherlands, Poland, Ukraine
Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia
Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden
Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

For a bit of fun leading up to the Draw I thought we could suggest the best and worst draws for our respective countries. I'll start with England:-

First Plane Home
Spain, England, Portugal and France

Straight to Quarter Finals
Poland, England, Greece and Ireland

Others may argue differently.
23-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Okay.....England would, imo, definitely finish below the following if they were in the same group:

Pot 1: Spain, Netherlands
Pot 3: Portugal
Pot 4: France

I would put us on a par with the following:

Pot 1: Ukraine
Pot 3 Croatia, Sweden
Pot 4: Czech Republic

Then there's the local derby issue if we get Ireland. They'd clearly raise their game against us and we don't have a great record against them at major tournaments.

It's going to be tough though, whoever we get.....and given our record at Euros is pretty poor to say the least, I'm not overly confident.
23-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland. The Group of Debt.
23-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Unfortunetly Poland have been poor for some time now and I don't expect that to change even thought we are co-hosting the tournament. So whoever gets us in their group is in luck.

We might have a bit of chance if we get Russia, Croatia, and the Czech Republic. We'll probably get smashed by any of the other teams, except for maybe Greece, they will win against us but only 1-0.
23-11-2011, 05:22 PM
(23-11-2011, 03:55 PM)Ben OBagels Wrote: Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland. The Group of Debt.

Brilliant Applaud
23-11-2011, 05:38 PM
(23-11-2011, 05:22 PM)keefa Wrote:
(23-11-2011, 03:55 PM)Ben OBagels Wrote: Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland. The Group of Debt.

Brilliant Applaud

+1 Mrgreen
23-11-2011, 10:42 PM
(23-11-2011, 05:38 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote:

Brilliant Applaud

+1 Mrgreen

+2 Applaud
23-11-2011, 11:41 PM
(23-11-2011, 10:42 PM)Soulfusion Wrote:

Brilliant Applaud

+1 Mrgreen

+2 Applaud

+3 Giggle
(29-05-2014, 07:27 AM)keefa Wrote: Mile + pot = Very happy Mile

24-11-2011, 12:07 AM
(23-11-2011, 11:41 PM)dblooder Wrote:
(23-11-2011, 10:42 PM)Soulfusion Wrote:

Brilliant Applaud

+1 Mrgreen

+2 Applaud

+3 Giggle

+4.5
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
24-11-2011, 12:34 AM

Saw that on Twitter too Mrgreen
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
24-11-2011, 12:25 PM
(23-11-2011, 03:43 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote: Okay.....England would, imo, definitely finish below the following if they were in the same group:

Pot 1: Spain, Netherlands
Pot 3: Portugal
Pot 4: France

I would put us on a par with the following:

Pot 1: Ukraine
Pot 3 Croatia, Sweden
Pot 4: Czech Republic

Then there's the local derby issue if we get Ireland. They'd clearly raise their game against us and we don't have a great record against them at major tournaments.

It's going to be tough though, whoever we get.....and given our record at Euros is pretty poor to say the least, I'm not overly confident.

Maybe this is our time. Normally we win nothing when surrounded by optimism. Bring on the pessimism I say!! Celebrate
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
24-11-2011, 12:46 PM
It's going to be an interesting tournament whatever happens. I always enjoy the Euros, sometimes more than the WC.

Qualification from our group (barring worst case scenario of Spain, Portugal and France) has to be our aim. That puts us in Last 8, which is our historic natural level. Failure to get through our group should, rightly so, be seen as a bit of a failure. That's not England thinking we're above ourselves, but you've got to aim to get past the first round, unless you're a massive underdog, which we probably won't be. There are a number of teams that could be considered our equal, but we won't be an big underdog.

It's odds-on we'll go out in the last 8 though, probably on penalties. Unless we win our group and luck out with the 1/4 final draw of course. Which would be nice. For once. Wink

Basically, forget all talk of winning the thing. I was pleased with Capello admitting we're not near that level - it's not defeatist, it's being fucking realistic and not buying into the tabloid hyperbole! We didn't even qualify for the last Euros ffs! I hope the tabloids get a grip this time round, but I bet they don't.

If we get through the group our "final" is the quarter final. If we reached the semis, it should be met with sort of celebration it would warrant, because it would be a massive achievement.

You know what I would love to see more than anything though? England winning a penalty shoot-out. I do wonder if I'll ever see it happen again. We really need to put that one to bed, because the longer it goes on, the more of a monkey it will become on the back of the players.
24-11-2011, 02:20 PM
I just get pissed off when we say we can't win it...of course we can. Greece won it ffs and what odds were they?
On our day, England are capable of beating any team. What we need is consistency and belief. We all know that a team without confidence, no matter how good they are, will struggle. It's a tournament and anything can happen.
Personally I like the look of some of the youngsters and maybe they would bring some hunger to the team. Imagine how hard you would try if you got your chance at the Euros and you're not an England regular. Sometimes youngsters have 'blind' belief too.

Either way. I'm looking forward to it
24-11-2011, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011, 03:42 PM by deanashtonsfoot.)
Of course we "can" win it. I mean, in theory everyone "can" win it. Like you say, Greece did and that was thoroughly unexpected.

But you've got to have realism. Normally the tabloids come out with all the usual bollocks "It's our time", "We're gonna win it".....all that shit about the "golden generation". It's bullshit. The players just end up believing their own hype and fall flat on their face because they're over confident.

One step at the time. Let's not talk about winning it yet. Let's say that our aim is to reach the quarter finals (because it is) and be a bit humble for once. If we make it that far, then we can start assessing whether the semi finals are realistic. If we're up against someone like Denmark, then yeah, great talk about us being favourites to reach the semis. If we're playing someone like Spain or Germany, we should accept the underdog status and adjust our tactics and mental approach to the game accordingly.

Do you think Greece went into that tournament thinking they would win it? Did they have "the nation expects" headlines and all that bullshit? No....they were a surprise package and their momentum built as tournament went on. They took one step at a time and then found themselves holding the trophy at the end of it.

Once you reach the semis.....and only then.....should people genuinely start talking about whether or not we can win it. Even then, chances are we'd definitely be the underdogs should we get that far.

What usually happens is that the hyperbole convinces everyone we're going to win it, then everyone is shocked and disappointed when we go out in the quarter finals, which is ridiculous. That is our level. Spain, Holland, Germany and Italy, and probably Portugal and France, are all better than us at the moment. We shouldn't be disappointed with going out in the Last 8 as that is our level. It's an on-par performance. Reaching the semis would be a massive achievement.

This is what pissed me off so much with the abuse Sven got. Three straight quarter finals is not shit, especially when we only lost two of those on penalties and the other was against the team that was comfortably the best side in the world at the time.
24-11-2011, 04:33 PM
(24-11-2011, 03:37 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote: Of course we "can" win it. I mean, in theory everyone "can" win it. Like you say, Greece did and that was thoroughly unexpected.

But you've got to have realism. Normally the tabloids come out with all the usual bollocks "It's our time", "We're gonna win it".....all that shit about the "golden generation". It's bullshit. The players just end up believing their own hype and fall flat on their face because they're over confident.

One step at the time. Let's not talk about winning it yet. Let's say that our aim is to reach the quarter finals (because it is) and be a bit humble for once. If we make it that far, then we can start assessing whether the semi finals are realistic. If we're up against someone like Denmark, then yeah, great talk about us being favourites to reach the semis. If we're playing someone like Spain or Germany, we should accept the underdog status and adjust our tactics and mental approach to the game accordingly.

Do you think Greece went into that tournament thinking they would win it? Did they have "the nation expects" headlines and all that bullshit? No....they were a surprise package and their momentum built as tournament went on. They took one step at a time and then found themselves holding the trophy at the end of it.

Once you reach the semis.....and only then.....should people genuinely start talking about whether or not we can win it. Even then, chances are we'd definitely be the underdogs should we get that far.

What usually happens is that the hyperbole convinces everyone we're going to win it, then everyone is shocked and disappointed when we go out in the quarter finals, which is ridiculous. That is our level. Spain, Holland, Germany and Italy, and probably Portugal and France, are all better than us at the moment. We shouldn't be disappointed with going out in the Last 8 as that is our level. It's an on-par performance. Reaching the semis would be a massive achievement.

This is what pissed me off so much with the abuse Sven got. Three straight quarter finals is not shit, especially when we only lost two of those on penalties and the other was against the team that was comfortably the best side in the world at the time.

WHS Thup
24-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not saying we should believe we will win it. I'm saying that we shouldn't read tabloids. I don't and I have no idea what they are saying. I watch the football and make my own mind up. People should use their own intelligence, not be led by tabloids that are paid to sensationalise everything. The same for everything else like politics.

You're right Daf, we should take it one step at a time, but we won't reach the next step if we don't believe we can. England are a good tournament side, we are hard to beat. We have been unlucky over the years with penalties, Gazza's hesitation etc.

Look at all the nations you mentioned above, do you think they don't go through the same shit as us every tournament? Brazil and Argentina too in the World Cup. The winners always say "we knew we would win it this time", but only one nation can say that, the rest sack their managers. The disappointment is always going to be there, irrespective of our optimism or pessimism, unless we win the Final of course. These tournaments increase patriotism and increase everyone happiness and expectation for a few weeks only. The irony of course is that it makes more people unhappy in the end.

I'm not disagreeing with you and my points are not aimed at anyone in particular, I'm a realist too, but I think we should just support the team and manager as best we can and, like every other team, keep our fingers crossed.
25-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I'll be happy if Croatia can make the semis. We should have done in 2008. But we got our revenge on the Turks, didn't we Mrgreen
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
25-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Pfft, Norn Iron's absence from the finals devalues the entire competition. There hasn't been a WC or Euros worth watching since Mexico 86 Thdn
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
25-11-2011, 09:41 AM
(25-11-2011, 08:12 AM)juvehero Wrote: Pfft, Norn Iron's absence from the finals devalues the entire competition. There hasn't been a WC or Euros worth watching since Mexico 86 Thdn

I don't think that makes any difference tbh.

I think I actually enjoyed Euro 08 more because England weren't there. Mrgreen

It was certainly a lot less stressful.....
25-11-2011, 10:38 AM
(25-11-2011, 08:12 AM)juvehero Wrote: Pfft, Norn Iron's absence from the finals devalues the entire competition. There hasn't been a WC or Euros worth watching since Mexico 86 Thdn

Or before?
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje