Football Euro 2012 Finals
29-05-2012, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012, 07:28 AM by juvehero.)
Anyone catch the BBC Panorama show last night about the Ultra fans in Poland & Ukraine? Anyone venturing out there this summer needs their head examined.

Two thousand "fans" giving Nazi salutes at their rivals and the police chief in charge of crowd control for the Euros says that they were "just pointing at the opposition fans" Eh

And of course UEFA refuses to comment...............
"You've got a lot of talent, but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
29-05-2012, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012, 04:38 PM by bennytee.)
Imagine if that was in the UK.
Fines galore. Beggars belief.

Going back to the Celtic nations joint bid, which and how many stadiums would they use and what is the criteria for capacity and such like.
29-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I was disgusted if not amazed. Those poor people were then just sent on out of the gate to get home. No thank you, you can crank up the TV for me.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
30-05-2012, 02:13 PM
On the upside, Smile

On the the downside, Henderson would replace him in the squad. Fit
30-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Downing and Henderson in the England squad? Fuck me Roy, you do make life hard for yourself Mrgreen
31-05-2012, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012, 09:34 AM by Ben O'Bagels.)
The thing about the Panorama thing is that those ultras group largely couldn't give a fuck about international football, so won't be in ground at Euro 2012. That side, the amount of scale of the graffiti they showed in Poland was shocking and certainly suggests a cultural problem

France 2016 is using the following -
1 x > 80,000
2 x > 60,000
2 x > 50,000
4 x > 40,000
1 x > 35,000

Croke Park has a seated capacity of 76,500 and if the GAA allow it's use could one of the main stadiums. Semple Stadium and the Gaelic Ground seat 55,000 and 35,000 respectively. Whether the GAA will allow their use is again an issue, as could be whether UEFA would deem Thurles a suitable host city. Lansdowne Road seats 51,700 and will certainly be in the bid. Pure guesswork, but I suppose a new ground in Cork is a possibility, though it's use beyond the Euros is debatable. GAA would be the only use that isn't almost certain to be a white elephant. An extended Thomond Park is another possibility in Limerick, particularly if the Gaelic Grounds isn't used. Another downside of the GAA grounds and Thormand Park is that large parts are terracing, would UEFA want sizeable chunks of grounds having to be closed for the tournament and broadcasts showing large empty sections? McHale Park however is a 42,000 all seater, but again, would UEFA deem Castlebar as a suitable host city

Millennium is the obvious ground in Wales, potentially for the final along with Croke Park. Cardiff City Stadium and the Liberty I imagine would also be expanded to the required size. I've seen a few people mention the Racecourse as well, but it'd need to be at least doubled and there's next to no viability for that beyond the Euros.

In Scotland there's Parkhead, Hampden and Ibrox in Glasgow. Though the latter could well be a Tesco by then. Mrgreen I can't think that three stadiums in one city would be used though, can't really imagine UEFA will be that keen on Dublin, Cardiff and Glasgow all having more than one ground actually, but don't think there's much other choice. Going by capacity then I'd say Parkhead and Hampden. Elsewhere work on a new stadium for Aberdeen is supposed to be starting this year, though it's only proposed as 22,000 capacity. Could probably be extended though. In Edinburgh don't believe that either Hearts or Hibs have plans for new grounds, Hibs have only recently expanded theirs and you've already got Murryfield in the city anyway at just under 70,000 which would probably be ideal for one of the larger grounds.

Also see that the IOC rejected Baku's bid for the Olympics. Well worth Azerbaijan not going ahead with a Euro 2020 bid then. Mrgreen Edit - Seems like Azerbaijan is co-bidding with Georgia having missed out on the Olympics.

So-

Croke Park, Dublin (76,500)
Lansdowne Road, Dublin (51,700)
Semple Stadium, Thurles (36,000)
Gaelic Grounds, Limerick (35,000)
McHale Park, Castlebar (42,000)
Thormond Park, Limerick (15,000 seated presently, would need to doubled at least)
New/renovated Cork ground (would need to be 30,000+)

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (74,500)
Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff (26,828 at present, should be easily extendible)
Liberty Stadium, Swansea (20,532, again, shouldn't be too hard to extend as necessary)
Racecourse Ground, Wrexham (15,500, would need to be extended, likely end up something of a white elephant)
Celtic Park, Glasgow (60,832)
Hampden Park, Glasgow (52,025)
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow (51,082, more than big enough, but already two bigger stadiums in Glasgow)
Murrayfield, Edinburgh (67,200)
New Hearts or Hibs ground, Edinburgh (30,000+, Murrayfield likely preferred, neither club appears to have plans for new ground)
New Aberdeen Stadium, Aberdeen (22,000, would need to extended)

Italicised the ones I think are not so likely. That list is lacking in any 80,000+ grounds, but has four 60,000+ ones. Excluding one of Ibrox or Hampden give two 50,000+. McHale Park is the only 40,000+ however and it's debatable whether the GAA will allow it's use and if UEFA would sanction Castlebar as a host city. That leaves two ground as already 35,000+ and seven which would need to be expanded or built. Obviously seventeen grounds won't be used, so a number of those of listed won't be used.
01-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Ha! I just got Spain in our Euro 2012 work sweepstake! Woop woop!
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
That's Spain crashing and burning in the groups, then :p
01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Yep. Mrgreen
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Well it seems that Carrick should have kept his mouth shut...fool
No longer mismanaging: Lower Maze, Northern Ireland Championship 2
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
That's brilliant!
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]

03-06-2012, 07:49 AM

No he was correct and why Roy didnt think hang on Lampards now injured maybe I should call Carrick given the 2 injuries we have and say he will be a key player? Madness...

And now potentially 2 defenders out to, wouldnt blame Rio at all if he told Roy to F off if he calls him. Be such a shame to see Terry miss out....
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Cahill out of the Euros now. Kelly from Liverpool being called up to replace him.

The last thing this wafer thin England squad needed was injuries and they're just starting to pile up now.
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
It's a Liverpool get together at the moment!
03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I really don't understand why there are so many Liverpool players in the England squad. Shrug
No longer mismanaging: Lower Maze, Northern Ireland Championship 2
03-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Me either...unless the current England manager feels he has something to prove to Liverpool fans.... not even played a competitive game yet and Roy has made himself a laughing stock.
03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Why, just because he doesn't want Wobbly Gob and The Crab?

Well in Woy Mrgreen
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Its a cunning plan to exact revenge on Liverpool by handing back a bunch of broken and worn out players at the end of Euro 2012 just in time for the start of the new season.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Cheers Kin, next seasons excuse in the bag Mrgreen