Get Fit Or Die Trying
26-12-2011, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011, 01:56 AM by Rodderas.)
Anyone planning a new year's resoloution?

I was thinking of perhaps going out more on my bike. I used to enjoy riding my bike and did the London to Southend a few years back but I've not been out for ages.

I've also been thinking about running, although I've never been that keen on it (any tips would be good).

With the above in mind I've also been thinking of reducing my alcohol intake considerably. I did well at the end of this year (before festivities) on cutting down but I think I could do much better......

26-12-2011, 10:46 AM
As far as running goes Al, you just need to put your left leg in front of your right leg, and then your right leg in front of your left. Do that really quickly and you've cracked it Thup Mrgreen
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

26-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Mrgreen

That's where I have been going wrong! Cheers Lee Thup

26-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Either spend lots of cash on really good, soft soled running shoes, or run on grass. Constant road/pavement running will pound your ankles/knees/hips.

Oh, and Mrgreen @ Lee
26-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Cheers Keefa,

I was thinking of running on grass tbh as I had heard that your knees will die........ There is a little park behind where I live with a patch of grass that would probably be idea, out of the way so that I don't get laughed at when I'm half dead and coughing up a lung.

26-12-2011, 01:53 PM
That's why I go out running at 6am every day. For some reason I just can't gently jog along, I have to push myself as hard as I can. If I happen to see someone going out for their paper or milk I tend to straighten up, take a deep breath and pretend everything is ok, then get round the corner and have a coughing fit Mrgreen
26-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I was thinking one of my other problems would be after working the night shift. It would mean I would be running about late at night and possibly looking a bit suspect

26-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm getting back into running in the (vain) hope I'll be fit n' ready for our football season, although a cough/bug sorta stopped it before Christmas. I'm lucky in that I have a huge recreation/park area right next door so I just go there. Best advice I can give you is just attempt it. Try to run as much as you can, if you have to walk, you have to walk. Try to build up though how much you run each time and you should be fine. I'm at the stage now (or was - we'll see how well I've eaten soon enough!) where I can job/hobble the 4-5km circuit I run in around 25mins so its a good workout and once I get a better rhythm going I'll look to increasing the distance. Rest days are important too and if you have weak ankles/achilles like I do, if you get any discomfort - rest!
26-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Good advice Thup

I guess I'd start out with short runs initially, maybe a mile or so and try and build from there. As I said I've never really been keen on running.

I've also been thinking that maybe setting a long term goal would be a good idea? I know there is a half marathon locally some time during the year. I might set myself that as a target.

26-12-2011, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2011, 04:37 PM by juvehero.)
(26-12-2011, 02:03 PM)Rodderas Wrote: I was thinking one of my other problems would be after working the night shift. It would mean I would be running about late at night and possibly looking a bit suspect

Leave the Zorro mask and stripey jumper at home and you should be ok Thup

On a more serious note have you considered getting back on the bike?
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
26-12-2011, 04:47 PM
(26-12-2011, 04:34 PM)juvehero Wrote: Leave the Zorro mask and stripey jumper at home and you should be ok Thup

Mrgreen

I did used to like riding my bike but it's a bit knackered these days and unfortunately I can't really afford to replace it. I need to give it a good service really.

26-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Nothing against running, but the money you'd be investing in running kit could go a long way to refitting the bike.

Always preferred cycling as a means of exercise, depends of course on the area where you live, I'm pretty fortunate here that the roads locally aren't too chockablock.
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
26-12-2011, 06:22 PM
This is the trouble, I live in a fairly busy area, right by the hospital and a couple of schools. I have to travel some distance on my bike to find somewhere nice to ride. I do on the other hand have a couple of good parks near by that should be good to run in........

26-12-2011, 06:40 PM
(26-12-2011, 10:27 AM)Rodderas Wrote: Anyone planning a new year's resoloution?

I was thinking of perhaps going out more on my bike. I used to enjoy riding my bike and did the London to Southend a few years back but I've not been out for ages.

I've also been thinking about running, although I've never been that keen on it (any tips would be good).

With the above in mind I've also been thinking of reducing my alcohol intake considerably. I did well at the end of this year (before festivities) on cutting down but I think I could do much better......

Running: From a fat lad, I can honestly say, work on your mental strategies. My best period of running came around at the same time as being able to count slowly (about 2 seconds per number) from 100-0. And also, get 5 steps down the path and you'll fall into a rhythm, it's getting out the door which is hardest!

For me, it's lower alcohol consumption. All my weight is in my beer belly. Maybe we could do a run around the same time of year and motivate one another? Run Fat Boy Run made around 150 quid for charity.

100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
26-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Another idea for those runners out there is to focus on time of run not distance, especially when picking it up again. So, rather than try running a mile or two, run 20 mins (10 mins out then come home). The distance will naturally take care of itself and you will notice that you run further as you get your body in shape (which feels good). Running by distance has a way of making you feel like crap and wanting quit too easily. After you get in better shape, you can either move to distance to plan runs or just keep increasing the time you run for.
26-12-2011, 10:26 PM
(26-12-2011, 06:40 PM)WilliamMcBeard Wrote: Running: From a fat lad, I can honestly say, work on your mental strategies. My best period of running came around at the same time as being able to count slowly (about 2 seconds per number) from 100-0. And also, get 5 steps down the path and you'll fall into a rhythm, it's getting out the door which is hardest!

For me, it's lower alcohol consumption. All my weight is in my beer belly. Maybe we could do a run around the same time of year and motivate one another? Run Fat Boy Run made around 150 quid for charity.

That's really not a bad idea. I'm half tempted to change the title of this thread to Get Fit Or Die Trying and have it as a place to discuss health and fitness. I'm not starting out until the new year but when I do it would be good to perhaps share results/failures.... I dunno Shrug

However it must be said that I am now half cut having drunk 4 1488 and a couple of shots of Aberlour.

26-12-2011, 10:27 PM
kutgw FCUKING superb advise.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
26-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Very motivating guys you are. Thup
(29-05-2014, 07:27 AM)keefa Wrote: Mile + pot = Very happy Mile

26-12-2011, 11:15 PM
(26-12-2011, 09:51 PM)Deacondakin Wrote: Another idea for those runners out there is to focus on time of run not distance, especially when picking it up again. So, rather than try running a mile or two, run 20 mins (10 mins out then come home). The distance will naturally take care of itself and you will notice that you run further as you get your body in shape (which feels good). Running by distance has a way of making you feel like crap and wanting quit too easily. After you get in better shape, you can either move to distance to plan runs or just keep increasing the time you run for.

Yeah, that's what I do Thup
27-12-2011, 12:06 AM
In the land of Zzzzzzzzzz...................????????????????