The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 7.2.22 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 imagebirthday_profile
/showthread.php 461 pluginSystem->run_hooks
Warning [2] Illegal string offset 'birthday' - Line: 105 - File: inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php PHP 7.2.22 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/imagebirthday.php 105 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 142 imagebirthday_profile
/showthread.php 1595 pluginSystem->run_hooks

Football 'Team' England Thread
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
John Terry, as I'm sure you're aware, has had a date set for his trial, where he will be accused of racial discrimination.

This has led the FA to strip him of his captaincy, a decision that has been publicly questioned by the man the FA pay huge sums of money to manage the team, Fabio Capello.

My father and I were discussing this over the weekend, before Don Fabio made his stance on the subject public knowledge, and we were of differing opinions.

I could see why the FA had stripped him of the captaincy, as a role model and as the current incumbent of such a privileged position, John Terry should never have put himself in this position. My father agreed, but stated that every person should be innocent until proven guilty, and that Terry shouldn't lose the captain's arm band, whether you like him or not, until after the case has closed.

Both my father and Don Fabio seemingly have the same thoughts on the subject, and I can see where they're coming from. Is it an age thing? What are your thoughts on the whole saga?

As much of a loathsome character as he is, and as hard as it is, try not to let your feelings of dislike towards John Terry cloud your judgment Wink
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Our legal system is innocent until proven guilty, granted, but people are regularly suspended from their jobs if a legal investigation is deemed to compromise their position.

Personally, I think this definitely compromises his position as captain. In fact, I don't think he should go to Euro 2012 as it will cause problems in the dressing room - there will be split while this is hanging over the team.

If he's found innocent, then he should be allowed to come back and all is forgiven.

Personally though, I'd much rather see the likes of Cahill and Jones as our two CB's for England anyway these days. The previous generation needs to be moved on, including Terry.
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
He should never have been made captain again in the first place after his first fuckup. Captains are there to lead by example, and to be a role model as well. Even Rooney would make a better bloody captain than Terry right now.

England's problem is the obsession with hanging onto a so-called golden generation that have produced fuck all gold. The sooner you blood the younger blokes all over the park, the better off you'll be.
Currently managing: CS Concordia Chiajna, Romanian Liga I
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Exactly - the likes of Ashley Cole, Rio, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and possibly even Rooney should all go now imo. It is time.
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Australia went through a similar phase - but their golden generation actually produced.

Aloisi, Viduka, Kewell, Moore, Emerton, Vidmar, Chipperfield, Lazaridis, etc - these players took a fucking backwater to an impressive Confeds Cup placing plus 2 world cups - our first for 30-odd years. But now we've had to start turning over the old and bringing in the new, which hasn't always been easy... but it will put us in better stead in the medium and long term.
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM by deanashtonsfoot.)
Well, to be fair to them I think the achievement of reaching Quarter Finals in 2002, 2004 and 2006, losing to, clearly, the best side in the world in 2002 and losing on penalties in 2004 and 2006, is slightly underplayed.

Ok, it's not the massive success that a lot of England fans demand, but it's not a failure either. These days is looks positively fucking astonishing after the "achievements" of 2008 and 2010.

Like I said before though, their time is done. Out with the old, in with the new. Thup
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
As much as I agree with Keefa sr, I agree with daf that he should not go to Euro 2012. However, and this is the point that gripes me, it should not be the FA who make that decision, it should be down to Fabio alone.

How many of us on FM would leave if the board told us we had to change our captain? I'm pretty sure most of us would. I think the whole thing undermines Capello's position as manager and personally I wouldn't be surprised if we had to find a new manager before the tournament starts.
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]

07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Especially as they're accusing him of breach of contract as well. I'd be well pissed off if I was him tbh.
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Terry should never have been made captain in the first place imo due to his past indiscretions - particularly those around the time of 9/11.

We all have skeletons in our closets but this guy must have a walk in wardrobe full of the fecking things.

However, I also believe that the manager should be able select whoever he likes, both to play and to captain. Therefore the FA should keep out of it - if they trust him to manage (which the clearly do/did) then they should let him get on with it.
[url=http://psntl.com/user/view/jptykes][/url]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Lol

For me it should have been Fabio's decision but I also think he is a bit of a dick. He has come out and supported Terry which is doing no favours to anyone. I have to question his loyalties. Does he really care about England? Probably not.

Terry Should have never been given the captaincy back and although I believe innocent until proven guilty I agree with daf. In other lines of work you would be suspended. The FA have made their choice, fine, but if they are going to interfere with the managers job then they should grow some balls and tell Terry to stay at home. He shouldn't be representing the country in any form.

08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Being "Captain" isn't a job. It's a title. Footballer is his job, and he isn't being sacked. Innocent until proven guilty isn't really the issue here. It's purely about the reputation of the game, the suitability of the player - and the image it promotes - to lead the national team. Perhaps the FA would have preferred it if Capello could see the problem (and does anyone really, genuinely believe that Terry being Captain isn't a problem?) and presented a united front, but that clearly wasn't the case, so I think the FA were dead right to take the action they did.

They showed the leadership Capello didn't/couldn't/wouldn't.

Obviously I'm going under the assumption that the FA did discuss this all with Capello before making their announcement - and may even have given him the opportunity to present it as his decision.

You can admire Capello's principles or wonder if his ego trumped his wisdom... (guess which I think it is?)

08-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Don Fabio walks! Eek
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
09-02-2012, 12:09 AM

I suspect he was given a helping hand out the door tbh. Wink
09-02-2012, 01:56 AM
The thread title's reminded me of this.

09-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Rofl... That's fucking classic.

Team Llama?
09-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Team Getafe CF Team Dubai Mrgreen
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
09-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Couldn't agree more. Stupid new fad.

If I were English (and cared) the thread title would have been changed already.

09-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Can't have a tongue in cheek thread title any more then?

Woe betide me.

Changed it to help the sense of humour failures among us. Wink
09-02-2012, 10:16 AM

No, No! Fuck Of!

09-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Rooney should have kept his mouth shut. What if someone else takes over now? That'll be awkward. Mrgreen