The Official  Mobile Games/Apps Thread
14-02-2012, 02:14 PM
So I have ordered my new phone yesterday, so while waiting for it to arrive I was wondering what games/apps people could recommend?

I'm moving from the iPhone to the Android powered Samsung Galaxy SII.

So any Android users got any recommendations of any free apps or games that are worth getting?

Likewise people with iPhones can also recommend apps and/or games for other iPhone users to try.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

14-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Sporcle. Stick Cricket. Where's my water. Angry birds.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
14-02-2012, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2012, 02:45 PM by deanashtonsfoot.)
I have an Android phone. Out of interest, what made you move from iPhone to Android? Was it the fact that Android is much better value for money? Wink

I mostly tend to play the Mafia Wars style social, level-based games, as they're the sort of thing I can dip into for 5 or 10 minutes every couple of hours to keep things moving and leave it ticking along in the background.

Means I can still keep up to date with it at work, as opposed to things like Angry Birds (or FM for that matter Mrgreen ), which suck you in and suddenly you find you've been playing it for 5 days straight. Mrgreen

The games I play the most are:

Storm8 games: iMobsters, World Ward, Racing Live, Kingdoms
runfootball
Life is Crime

Life is Crime is quite interesting as it uses your location as the basis for the game, so I'm currently in the process of trying to take over most of Brighton. Mrgreen

One trap you have to try not to fall into with these games though is spending money on credits. While the games are free initially, they try to tempt you to spend money in the game - you can get along fine, as I have done, without doing this though, but it just means you need to be a bit more patient and avoid levelling up too quickly.

If you like simple, addictive racing games, Pocket Racing is worth a look, as is Drag Racing.
14-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't really have games on my android phone but I've found some good music apps.

Four Tracks - A simple 4 track recorder, great for getting down initial ideas for the songs in my head
Chord finder - To find guitar chords
gStrings - An instrument tuner! An absolute must, especially if you play multiple instruments or use weird tunings.

14-02-2012, 04:40 PM
(14-02-2012, 02:41 PM)JP Wrote: Stick Cricket. Angry birds.

(14-02-2012, 02:44 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote: Drag Racing.

Thup for all of them.

Bubble Breaker's a decent little puzzle. Burning Tires is a racing game which uses a tilt sensor for steering. Blast Monkeys is quality, one of the best Android games imo. Though not free (for the full version at least) Flick Kick Football is one the few good football games, it's basically a free-kick game and there's an essentially the same rugby one as well. If you're into trivia quizzes HyperQuiz is good as is National Flags Quiz. If you find flags interesting.

As for non-gaming apps, MapMyRide/Run/Hike/Walk (colour aside they're all the same) is good for recording bike rides, runs, walks etc. LiveScores's good for football results, and also does ice hockey, basketball and tennis. There's also an OS Map application if you prefer OS maps to google maps etc, though it needs a wifi connection when starting the app.
14-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for those guys, I'll check them out once I get the phone.

I guess the main reason for changing to Android is to try something different. The main downside of course is I will lose all my paid apps that I've bought over the years.

I've got the Flick Kick Football for the iPhone, so nice to know there is an Android version too. Also have Angry Birds and Stick Cricket so will be getting those too.

Thanks guys Thup
WAWAW

15-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Galaxy s2 is an awesome phone, I haven't missed my iphone at all.

Other than what those above have said, I'd recommend zombie dash which is frustratingly addictive as you keep trying to beat your previous effort...

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
16-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Downloaded Life is Crime. The use of location and real life places certainly adds a lot to the interest, but a number of the places seem rather out. From my house for example it's including Tilehurst Tandori (Tilehurst being the other side of Reading), and a number of shops where there's only houses. Whereas when I was about 2k away today it was giving a pub that's actually at the top of the road I live on as 80m away.
17-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone play Godfather 5 families? You can find me at the crew name LlaMa pack Mrgreen
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
17-02-2012, 04:17 PM
I started playing that, but didn't manage to get into it. Is there a mobile app for it, because I was just playing it on my laptop?
17-02-2012, 10:21 PM
(17-02-2012, 03:50 PM)WilliamMcBeard Wrote: Anyone play Godfather 5 families? You can find me at the crew name LlaMa pack Mrgreen

Guglielmo Barbarello
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
18-02-2012, 11:40 AM
https://www.kabam.com/the-godfather/regi...16LXotei16
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
13-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Daf, what's your mob code for iMobsters? Mine is UVP8CM, I need to start building a mob
WAWAW

13-03-2012, 11:50 AM
(13-03-2012, 11:43 AM)Walks Wrote: Daf, what's your mob code for iMobsters? Mine is UVP8CM, I need to start building a mob

Just added you.

You can also get codes (and put your code in) from here: iMobsters codes
18-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Love this, best £2 I spent in ages...New Star soccer football (Android App)
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
19-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Used to have the computer version of NSS. Preferred the text based match engine, but it's the type of game perfectly suited to phones. Will have to give it a go.
19-03-2012, 11:34 AM
The Whip App (a la tonight's episode of The Big Bang Theory)

And for the nerds Force Sabre of Light App

Mrgreen
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
20-03-2012, 10:37 PM
(19-03-2012, 11:34 AM)kin_lin Wrote: And for the nerds

Wait...Are you suggesting we have members who AREN'T nerds?
20-03-2012, 11:28 PM
o/

Tongue
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
22-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Oh, p!ss off...You set sailing questions in the quiz ffs!!

Mrgreen