Update for FM'12 Zhicheng for the top...
30-07-2012, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012, 12:12 PM by Soulfusion.)
Nicely done there Dave. What is the gap between the First Division and Super League? Are there enough rubbish teams in the higher league to give you a fighting chance of survival with Zhicheng?

kutgw
06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
From my experiences in China the gap is HUGE! And there are 4 or 5 mega rich clubs that dominate the league ruthlessly. So, all good news Davo! Mrgreen
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey, I didn't even think I could get this team promoted, let alone think about succeeding in this league! So let's see where the journey takes us Mrgreen
Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division II
06-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Very good season Dave. :KUTGW: in China
17-08-2012, 05:27 PM
[Image: 160px-GuizhouZhicheng.png]
Guizhou Zhicheng FC
Chinese Super League
Season 2020

Expectations
Avoid relegation

Transfers
IN - Five players, including young North Korean striker MiniCom and experienced Super League central defender Lee. (Free)
OUT - Four players, two who simply got released, and a couple of okay youngsters I could make a little cash from. ($9K)

From the off it was clear that the Super League was going to be dominated by four big teams - Guangzhou Hengda, Beijing Guoan, Guangzhou Fuli, and Guangdong Rizhiquan. To begin with, life was tough in the top tier and I was on the wrong side of some six goal scorelines as JohnBoy struggled to come to grips with new partner Lee. Luckily, the FA Cup came to our rescue somewhat and two decent wins in rounds one and two over Super League opposition got the boys focused on the task at hand.

This signalled a purple patch, as we went 11 games unbeaten with the exception of a loss to powerhouses Guangzhou Henda. A 1-0 win over their city rivals Fuli was nice, but unfortunately also triggered an 8 game winless streak. A 5-1 thumping of relegation-bound Jiangsu meant we continued to ping around in the middle of the table, and a series of solid results (3-0 win v Fuli, 2-2 with Beijing, 0-0 with Rizhiquan) finished the season off quite nicely as we settled for 9th spot. Considering we were classed as relegation fodder by the bookies pre-season, I was quite satisfied. Doing the double over cross-town rivals Renhe was also very nice.

The only minor disappointment was that I felt we could have made at least the semis of the FA Cup - a first division side managed to sneak a 90th minute goal to put us out in the quarters, much to my dismay. On the whole though, a satisfying season and one in which Wheelie Bin and Pool Cue spent a lot of time injured. Luckily JohnBoy was up to the task and contributed six goals, sadly making him our second best scorer behind Wheelie Bin. On the upside the previously unheralded Cow Hung has stood up in the midfield, which now gives me some nice depth there even if Nobby gets injured. MiniCom had an okay first season but I expect more of him next year.

Chinese Super League 9th (10-10-10)
Chinese FA Cup Quarter Finals

A decent year all up considering our expectations at the start; hopefully we can back it up in our second season in the top flight. Post-season I've sold one Brazilian striker and traded him in for a much younger, stronger model. Hopefully he can add some of the firepower that was lacking. A financial loss for the season hasn't helped things though, and I expect money to be tight next year considering we've already had $800k worth of board injections this year...

Kelantan had another good year but could only manage 2nd; Johor MBJB are improving and managed 9th.
20-08-2012, 02:19 PM
More than held your own in the top league there Davo. Do you have a financial plan to overcome the need for future $800K cash injections?

The TV deal in China could be potentially huuuge!

kutgw
20-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Bit worried that I appear to becoming a selling club... 2021 isn't looking too flash at the moment; but there's still time to pull it round.

Not sure this current 4-0 thrashing is helping things though Sad
26-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Guizhou Zhicheng FC
Chinese Super League
Season 2021

Expectations
Avoid relegation - upgraded to mid table.

Transfers
IN - Six players, including fat Brazilian ST and three new defenders to add more depth to our backline, plus a talented young DM to give me freedom to sell some more experienced mids if necessary. (Free)
OUT - Six players, plus one more loaned out, to make a bit of cash and trim some of the older or weaker from my squad. ($74K)

Talk about first appearances being misleading. My quest to avoid second season syndrome with Zhicheng started very well; we took seven points from the first four games, one of which came from a very creditable 0-0 draw against eventual champions Beijing. Unfortunately from there the squad got cocky, and we won just one game of our next nine, which also saw us knocked out of the cup in the second round against rather unfancied Chongqing FC. For a while this seemed to focus the boys, as we went the next six games without loss to halt our alarming slide down the table.

Unfortunately around this time MiniCom, my nutcase North Korean, decided he wanted a wage increase to three times what the best person in the squad was earning. I told him that was a bit ludicrous, and he promptly chucked a hissy fit and started missing training. Not being one to cop this sort of shit lying down, I began ringing every club I could think of to see if they'd like to take him off our hands. Plenty did, and I had multiple offers come in - all of which then fell through because they'd exhausted their allotment of foreigners.

Meanwhile, with this distraction happening, the team went massively off the boil and we copped some very bad losses. We didn't win for eight weeks and sat perilously close to the drop - one win from the relegation zone with seven games to play. Happily our next game was against our cross-city rivals Guizhou Renhe, who are supposed to be bigger than us but I've never lost to in all my time at Zhicheng, and we didn't disappoint with a 3-1 win. We managed to see out the rest of the season but finished a disappointing 12th, well below where I'd wanted to be.

On the upside, I finally found a buyer for MiniCom, and they seem to have enough foreign slots. Fingers crossed it goes through in January of next year, as it will provide me with a much needed $110K worth of funds. It was a very poor season for the whole squad, but Nobby was probably the best of the lot, along with Zipper who was his reliable self. We really lack a cutting edge up front though, as Fat Brazilian has been a major disappointment - 19 games for a single goal whilst Pool Cue managed 10 in 29.

Chinese Super League 12th (8-11-11)
Chinese FA Cup 2nd Round

Meanwhile Kelantan enjoyed another year of success, winning the league in Malaysia. Even Johor MBJB did well, backing up 10th in the league with a runners-up spot in the Malaysia FA Cup.

China nearly did my head in this year, and I came very close to leaving. But I've decided to persevere - I'm determined to get something out of Fat Brazilian and bring in reinforcements with MiniCom's money (if it all goes through...)

That said, I've added the Scottish leagues, just in case I feel like leaving Szechuan Chicken for something a little more basic.
26-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Bit of an up and down season there. Hopefully now Fat Brazilian has had chance to settle into his new diet he'll start to come good for you and without the disruption of MiniCom the rest of the squad will now focus on their football.

Good luck, sounds like you need it!
26-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Good read Dave, not the worst season either. kutgw

just out of interest, do you have a nickname for every player in your squad?

27-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Lol

Only those who are good enough (or shit enough) to warrant a mention in the update...
08-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Guizhou Zhicheng FC
Chinese Super League
Season 2022
Expectations
Board: Stay clear of relegation
Media: Dead last (Fuck you, media. You are not my friend.)

Transfers
IN - 5 players including Slammin' Salmon (Bahraini attacking mid/winger) and Little Mao (left winger), the others to provide backup in defence and midfield. (Free)
OUT - 8 players ($1.14 Million… Yeah, I'll get to that.)

To begin with, we sold MiniCom to Tianjin for a club record $110K, finally ridding ourselves of a disruptive influence and making the bean counters happy at the same time. The club's pre-season fixtures gave absolutely no indication of the chaos that was to come, though. We put in some very good performances, beating two K-League sides and drawing with another, and I figured that the addition of two out-and-out wingers was going to give me more options when approaching the big sides in China. Late into pre-season and in the initial rounds, clubs like Beijing and Guangzhou were circling some of my youngsters - so in an effort to keep them at the club, I jacked their asking prices to ridiculous levels.

Out of nowhere, Beijing Guoan came in with a $900,000 bid for my young China U-21s defensive mid. I had no say in the matter, because as I came into work the next day the player was gone and a man in a suit was loading a sack of money into the chairman's limo (interestingly, there was a takeover of the club just weeks later). This put me in an interesting position because I'd already started trimming the wage budget elsewhere, selling off older rotational players for bits and bobs here and there in an effort to give my youngsters better contracts. Thus heading into the season, I had a pretty threadbare squad and a wage budget that was slowly being eroded by the increasing demands of my existing good players. A couple of injuries in the first round exposed this right away - we didn't get a win on the board until the 8th game of the season, and we were sitting not-so-pretty towards the bottom of the ladder.

By round 18, we were equal on points with the teams directly below us in the relegation zone and things were looking grim. The fact that our cross-town rivals Renhe had knocked us out of the cup in the second round on penalties (their first win over us in years) did nothing for morale. Neither did a stretch of five points in twelve weeks in the second half of the season. Luckily for us the league was a two way battle this year between Beijing (eventual winners) and Guangzhou. The positions from 3rd to 10th were much of a muchness, then there was a gap to everyone else - basically a six-way scrap for relegation. In the last eight rounds of the season I faced four of the other five teams; we simply had to win these games or find ourselves back in the First Division. Finally losing patience with Fat Brazilian, I left him to his questionable dietary habits and threw Pool Cue and Wheelie Bin back into the mix, generally one at a time as they struggled again with injuries.

This worked an absolute treat - we lost just one of our last eight, against champs Beijing at their home ground. This streak included a proud 1-1 draw with Guangzhou at their stadium, and a thumping 4-1 revenge win over Renhe in a televised derby. By the time we lost to Beijing one game from season's end, we had assured ourselves of survival for another year. On the player front it was a fairly disappointing year, but Nobby, Pool Cue, and exotic new signing Slammin' Salmon all played important roles in keeping us up. Pool Cue top scoring with just 7 goals (Salmon next with 5) was indicative of the big problems we faced up front. Fat Brazilian improved from 1 goal in 19 games to 2 goals in 19 games. Incredible.

One thing that has really gotten my goat is the financial situation we're in - I've done everything to keep this club in business. I've minimised the (already small) wage spend, I've sold players - as did the old chairman, obviously. But the $1.1 million we brought in has just dissipated - we've got this ridiculous loan of $1.9M which we have to pay off in the next 15 years, and that really should have taken a large chunk of it. Instead we're just treading water with the board injecting money now and then. This game models real Chinese football far too well. Faced with such a corrupt set of stakeholders, I've resolved that the only way to get to my goal of the Asian Champions League may be to start climbing the ladder at a bigger, more financially sound club (we're still 'insecure'). So one eye on the job market, the other on my loyal players for the time being.

Chinese Super League - 11th (7-9-14)
Chinese FA Cup - 2nd Round

Great year for Johor in Malaysia - MBJB finished a very good fifth, whilst cross-town rivals Johor FC managed to take the Super League title. Kelantan finished a disappointing third.
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
A good season considering all the circumstances..... Your finances do sound rather frustarting, although I do find balancing the budgets one of my favourite parts of the game it can become tiring if you see no improvements.

kutgw whatever happens.

08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
It is frustrating when you get money in and it just seems to dissappear. I've just taken in £2.6m for television rights, but can't see any record of it on my balance sheet. I'm hoping it comes in over the season Shrug

Good luck battling the super powers of corrupt China.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Considering everything you had nice season. Hopefully you'll find a club who isn't leaking money everywhere. :KUTGW:
18-09-2012, 01:47 PM
It sounds as though the 'F' in F1 Dave currently stands for frustrated! But I'm guessing will soon be seeing a change from Zhicheng Wink
19-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah... Maybe not soon though.

I got sick of this save, simple as that. I actually was forced to resign when I showed interest in the vacant Beijing job - i got the job but it's just boring as batshit. My players are so much better than anywhere else in China bar guangzhou and I just got tired of it.

I might recharge my batteries for a while... Or yeah, I might go somewhere else entirely :-P
19-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Be a shame to start a new save with only a few weeks before the FM13 release; why not carry on this save but consider a position in previously unchartered territory?
19-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Maybe.

Like I said, I'm not decided and may just need a sabbatical for a few weeks :-)
25-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Looks like I caught up with this thread at the wrong time. Good read though Dave, I enjoyed it. Thup
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick