PC Parts and Advice Thread
30-06-2019, 03:07 AM
2nd gen i5 will certainly do FM18 (and I assume FM19) without a problem. If you can afford a 3rd or 4th gen i5 or i7 then you will see no real performance difference from them to the current 8th gen CPUs.

You can never have too much RAM and if you already have 12TBs of HDD at your disposal see if they will swap the 1TB HDD for a 500GB SSD, us it as your OS drive which will speed up the system boot up and access significantly. Use your 12TB of HDDs as your data storage drives.

My current main rig is basically similar to what you had specced here. It is Son No. 2's old gaming rig, which my wife inherited as her study computer, I have bought her a new all-in-one i5 PC which gives her some more desk space. I have upgraded the RAM to 16GB, upgraded from a 2nd gen i5 to a 3rd gen i7, upgraded the graphic card to a GTX1050 Ti and upgraded to a 1TB HDD (using the old 500GB HDD for media files) and will later install an SDD when I have saved up the money.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
30-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Are they difficult to actually put together? I know how to dismantle them but not much about building. Mrgreen

Obviously YouTube etc exist and I gather I'll need to learn how to solder.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
30-06-2019, 11:04 AM
No soldering involved, more like a complex lego set, all the components plug together using the industry standard connectors and then it is just a matter of updating the drivers to suit.

If you go down the refurbished route, then it should all work but then you might want to add a mid-high end graphics card. You will need a screwdriver (to open the case), the driver CD (or downloaded from the website) and watch a few youtube videos to get it upgraded to make it a good gaming rig.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
30-06-2019, 11:09 AM
No soldering required, plenty of guides on YouTube to show you how to do it. It's relatively simple really
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

30-06-2019, 11:43 AM
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gKZFzY

A bit over your budget but a very good build. You would need to pick a monitor as well. I've chosen a case, but of course taste is subjective so you may want to change that.

Cities Skylines is very RAM intensive (at least it is on my machine, and I have 24GB RAM). I have an i5 4th gen and both games run well, but you will also need to make sure you get a good graphics card, I would recommend a GTX1060 6GB as a minimum.
WAWAW

30-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Cheers Walks, might take me a few months to gather everything at the moment but always wanted to do something like this.

I've installed graphics cards at work before so I'm comfortable with that, if the rest of the components are relatively similar to fit then I'll be fine.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

30-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Give me a shout if you get stuck anywhere when you come to build it, happy to try and help out if I can.
WAWAW

30-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Will do, thanks again.

07-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Managed to pick up a second hand one for the moment off gumtree at a great price so I'm going to use it to faff with and upgrade bits as I go along. Got a decent graphics card (I hope) coming in the week, 4GB of video memory should be enough to fuck about on cities skylines I reckon. Would have liked a bit more RAM but 16GB on my laptop handles the game absolutely fine so I should imagine that the same on a desktop should be alright too.

Once I've got a few pennies spare (and probably sell the one I have now at some stage to fund it) I'll be able to build the kind of thing I actually want from the ground up. For no other reason than because I want to and because it'll be an achievement.

08-07-2019, 09:05 AM
That should be plenty for Cities: Skylines. And for FM obviously.
13-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Just installed a new graphics card, fired up a game to test it out and it made a prolonged beep then turned off.

What should I try other than make sure it's seated properly?

13-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Has the card got enough power going to it? Different cards have different power connectors from the PSU, that would be the first thing I would check
WAWAW

13-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Well that's the thing, I don't actually see a connector port on the card, and there wasn't one on the original card either. I've asked on the nvidia forums. I'm now at a point where I can do everything except Cities Skylines, it loads then just before it hits the menu screen the computer restarts, so maybe it is a power issue.

On a side note while I'm fucking about, as I've said I've got a shit ton of spare hard drives. Are there any advantages to using Linux on any of these for other stuff?

13-07-2019, 11:37 PM
What card is it?
WAWAW

13-07-2019, 11:59 PM
A fake one, it seems. I've just been onto Nvidia live chat support and it turns out I've been flogged a crock of shite.

Fucking cunts.