Video Games The Official Games That Aren't FM (or Bradman Cricket) Thread
26-12-2010, 12:28 AM
But he's only 8 Shots
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
26-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Well by the time he is 18 he can join the RAF as a "top-gun" fighter pilot. In 10 years time, fighter pilots won't be "Lord Flashart" or "Mavrick", they will be geeky kidswith coke-bottle glasses, virtual space awareness and lightning quick reflexes honed from years of computer gaming. They will be flying Un-manned Combat Air Vehicles via satellite links from a safe location in Biggin Hill Smile
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
09-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I've just installed Baldur's Gate (1&2+expansions) on my Eee PC. Cool

Playing it as one big game (BG1 starts in the BG2 engine and it transitions between them) I also wanted to mod it somewhat and always found it a major headache in the past, but the BiG World Project automates most of the hard work. It took around 3 days for it to download and install all the mods, but I've been playing for a couple of hours and it seems to all be working fine (so far, touch wood). \o/

Install size: 18.5 Gig. Eek

Download the pdf first and follow the instructions if you too get the urge. Smile

The mouse lags a bit, but that seems to be generic problem as it was the same (if not worse) before I modded it. If anyone has/had the same problem and fixed it, please let me know. I'm using Windows 7.

Boo! I'm back! Mrgreen

10-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Fixed the mouse lag problem. \o/ Switched off 3D acceleration in BG Config. It's running smooth as silk now. Cool

One thing I've noticed straight away; the fights are much, much harder than vanilla. Decided to leg it straight to the Friendly Arm Inn asap after getting my ass handed to me by a small group of goblins. Smile

11-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Has anybody played The Witcher? I saw the preorder for The Witcher 2 and thought it looked good so am thinking of getting the original game to be up to speed on the story. I've seen it in a few places for dirt cheap so I'm wondering if it's actually worth it
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
11-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Definitely worth it. I thought it was very good indeed.

Edit: Here's what I said about it on FM-B:

Quote:The story is pretty good and well told, with the character's choices often being between a variety of "grey" options rather than any obvious good/evil path, which does lead to a few hand-wringing moments over which option to choose for the best. It's quest heavy, reasonably long and keeps the attention and interest throughout. I'd recommend it to any rpg fan, although it isn't as accessible for the uninitiated as something like Mass Effect is.

And in comparison to Dragon Age (which I played shortly after the Witcher):

Quote:The Witcher, being close in style to DO:A was more engaging with far more meaningful 'grey' areas which actually are 'damned if you do/damned if you don't' options (e.g. choosing between the scoiatel and human factions to name but one), genuine non-linearity in that quests had a number of very different paths to solving them, had a more engaging, original and interesting story, much more interesting 'back story' notes to read, and better exploration and side-quest options.

I stand by that too - The Witcher is a better RPG than Dragon Age: Origins imho, up there with the best.

11-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Ok, totally getting it then. Cheers Keith
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
This might sound like a silly question, but does everyone play other games in the same way as they play FM? ie with no help or guidance from outside? No walkthroughs, tips etc?
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

11-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I do, but then I don't play many other games Mrgreen
11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I occassionally look for walkthroughs if I get stuck, but there's a difference between not being able to find a key in Fallout than not being able to keep a clean sheet on FM.
11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I realise there is a huge difference, but the way we play FM is a philosophy, I just wondered if people applied the same philosophy or principles to other games as well
WAWAW

11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I play most games in a similar way, to an extent - the 'no cheating' part being the bit that mostly translates. For example, I'll happily mod other games to the hilt (e.g. Fallout 3 and BG), but I'll avoid any that give out uber-powerful items (at least without a tough quest to gain them), and 'cheat mods' in general. I tend to go for mods that improve the experience without compromising the spirit of the game.

I also tend to avoid "tips" in general, preferring to work things out for myself whenever possible.

However, having said that, I'm not above using guides for say, a Japanese RPG, to complete some obscure side quest in order to avoid multiple playthroughs (sod that, who has the time?). It depends on the game and whether the game might just go unplayed and unfinished otherwise.

11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent PC cricket game. Been playing that stick cricket a bit and, despite being properly shit at it (I can't even beat Bermuda ffs! Mrgreen), it has made me want to play a proper cricket game.

I'd want it on the PC or the Wii. Any recommendations? Is that Ashes 2009 one any good?

Also, if any of you have Android phones, I've been play a free MMO game called runFootball (www.dotrunplay.com) for the last couple of weeks. It's FUCKING addictive. My productivity at work has gone down spectaculaly because of it. Mrgreen

Fully recommend it. If anyone does sign up to it, my code is E77BA and my team is called Daf's Demons. Mrgreen

Send me a message and I'll help you get a few supporters to get you going.
11-01-2011, 05:37 PM
(11-01-2011, 04:59 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote: Can anyone recommend a decent PC cricket game. Been playing that stick cricket a bit and, despite being properly shit at it (I can't even beat Bermuda ffs! Mrgreen), it has made me want to play a proper cricket game.

I'd want it on the PC or the Wii. Any recommendations? Is that Ashes 2009 one any good?

Cricket computer games are shite, and I can't recommend any apart from International Cricket Captain, but that's more like FM than FIFA as a comparison to footy games.

I don't know of a cricket game on the Wii, but that would be better than EA sports' carp cricket games.
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
ICC is pretty much the best out there from what I've seen but it is much more management based than actually hitting the ball.

There's Ashes '09 for the Wii but I've no idea how good it is. Should be available on Play/Amazon for a reasonable price, I guess.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I have the Ashes on the wii Thdn don't do it to yourself

11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
(11-01-2011, 04:59 PM)deanashtonsfoot Wrote: Been playing that stick cricket a bit and, despite being properly shit at it (I can't even beat Bermuda ffs! Mrgreen), it has made me want to play a proper cricket game.

Blew Bermuda away in 14 overs, and I've just lost to the fucking Dutch by one run. Boo.
11-01-2011, 09:47 PM
(11-01-2011, 01:15 PM)big_evil Wrote: This might sound like a silly question, but does everyone play other games in the same way as they play FM? ie with no help or guidance from outside? No walkthroughs, tips etc?

Yeah, I hate using tips or walkthroughs and will only use them as a very last resort after many hours of frustration. Cheat codes are a big no for me - I even discourage my son from using them even though his mates do. We actually had a bit of an issue once when he was using cheats on a game he'd just bought and was breezing through it. Inevitably he got bored and I pointed out that he'd wasted his money and that if he'd played the game 'properly' he may not have been bored. He started again without cheats and while he didn't get as far into the game he admitted he'd enjoyed it much more.
12-01-2011, 11:10 AM
(11-01-2011, 08:52 PM)Mr603 Wrote: Blew Bermuda away in 14 overs, and I've just lost to the fucking Dutch by one run. Boo.

Well you're doing better than me. Mrgreen

My problem is the spinners. I get past the fast bowlers, usually on about 90-odd for 1 or 2, then the spinners just wipe me out.

It's not run rate that I'm struggling with, it's being blowed out. I can't even get close to completing 20 overs! My best score is about 118. Sad

Still, it's a great little game. Smile
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I have the same problem daf, medium pace ones can be tricky, but the spinners get me too, just can't play them
WAWAW