FM13 - Not a Vintage Year?
27-02-2013, 09:49 PM
So FM13 has been with us now for 3 months. What is the learned opinion of the Llama Herd? My own impression is that only a few, notably Ken and Dave, have really gotten into SI's latest iteration of the World's Best Football Management Game and for the majority of others it has been a disappointment.

Some statistics to back this up based on our own community. I was surprised when I updated the 'Managing' Thread that only 10 members had declared a FM13 save, and of these only 3 seem to be very active whereas FM12 still have 19 saves declared (although again only 4 seem active).

Looking back at previous years, by Feb 2012 the number of FM12 saves equalled the number of FM11 players (16 each) and the majority of these were very active. In Feb 2011 the FM11 count had surpassed the FM10 saves (although this was when the 'Managing' thread had just started).

In addition there are some prime Llama's that have tried and failed to 'love' FM13 and a many other usual suspects that do not even seem to be playing the game.

So my question is is FM13 a dud or are people generally apathetic about SI's flagship game? And lets try and keep the Steam hating out of the discussion...
27-02-2013, 10:11 PM
For me it's just been a time issue. With being handed a job of salvaging the wreck of our relationship with a major client I had to throw myself into work straight after Christmas, and have been bringing work home and doing that instead of playing FM. I do have a save in Denmark, and if I had the time to play it more I would.

In a months time or so, you may well see more activity from me on FM13 Thup
27-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Time with me as well.

By the time I've got home, got Henry into bed and had dinner, it's usually about 8-8.30, at which point I usually watch a bit of tv and then I'm in bed by 10.

The days of regularly staying up until the early hours playing FM are gone for me. Work combined with a 1yr old is knackering enough!

But then this lower FM time isn't new for me I guess, so it's nothing to do with FM13. I barely used FM12 and didn't even get FM11 out of the wrapper! Last time I was really active with FM was with my FM10 save, which ran through until about the time Holly got pregnant in early 2011.
27-02-2013, 11:09 PM
For me it is the total inability to play the game. I guess I got through the equivalent of maybe 2 seasons over Christmas but then realised that the game was a crash fest and , short of saving every single day, was basically unplayble. SI forum support have been useless despite me jumping through dxdialog hoops and all sorts of other stuff. I have dumped the game and fallen back in bed with FM12.

I do have a difficult time moving from one version to another and that is based on graphics. I have a highly detailed set of kits, logos, competitions and particularly backgrounds all working beautifully for FM12, and they would not port to 13. Another minus point for me, but obviously a very personal one.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
28-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I've also had very little time for FM since 13 came out. I'm not hating it though, I did initially have some crash issues when the 3d match engine was running but I've not had any for a while now. I think the add/remove league funtion on 12 was flawed, whilst it sounds perfect in theory, in practice it didn't live up to my expectations and killed my game after 5 seasons. I've yet to see if this will be the same on 13 but I've learnt from my mistakes and I'll put less faith in SI anyway.

There are always issues with each version tbh. I know some people hated 11 but I loved it. If I do have problems I could happily start a new save with 11 and never worry about updating again. I guess that is the beauty of LLM though. You don't really need an up to date version to enjoy the way we play.

28-02-2013, 02:22 AM
I have to say, I'm surprised by the dislike of fm13 (steam aside) as apart from a few minor graphical bugs which you get in every version, I haven't had any issues with it.

For mine, fm11 was a crash ridden fucker that si couldn't fix, yet others reported no issues with it *shrug*

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
28-02-2013, 02:45 AM
I have not had any major problems with FM11 and it will continue to be the edition for me (as the last CD-authentication version of FM). Some of the features of FM13 have been tempting but I am yet to be seduced to the Darkside of Steam.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
28-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I thought about getting FM13, but since I only got through about 2.5 seasons on FM12 when FM13 came out I thought I would at least wait until the final patch. Now I'm back into FM12 and really enjoying it, so I don't see any reason to upgrade. If my save dies before FM14 comes out I might think about getting it... or I just might start a new FM12 one.

But like I said I'm really enjoying my current save, and hope I can keep it going for a long time. I think the longest save I've ever had was 6 or 7 seasons so it would be nice if I could make it to at least 10 seasons with this one.
FM14: SV 07 Elversberg - 2013/14 (Season 1) - 3. Liga (Germany)
28-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Again as others have said it's been more of a time issue, i actually prefer this version to the last two by a long stretch.
A few crashes here and there but nothing show-stopping.

Really enjoying an online FMC game with friend and of course the Clan game has been good too.
28-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Can't recall any crashes that prevented me from playing the game in any version. Don't have time at all since I bought FM13 and rarely played it, so far I don't enjoy it much when I have time to play... Don't know why but there is not any connection with it regardless of team I am in charge.
28-02-2013, 07:49 PM
(28-02-2013, 02:22 AM)f1dave Wrote: I have to say, I'm surprised by the dislike of fm13 (steam aside) as apart from a few minor graphical bugs which you get in every version, I haven't had any issues with it.

What Dave says.

I would assume that anyone having crash issues on a regular basis, may need to look at their hardware. Surely if it was an issue with the software, then we would all suffer the same fate.Shrug

For me FM13 is by far the best version, (the full game, not the Classic version, obviously).Thup
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
28-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I haven't played a non-Classic mode game in FM13 thus far, this is pretty regular for me as I don't think I began my current FM12 save until the game had been out for 8 months. I've tried Classic for about half-a-season in the Swedish lower divisions just as a "how does this mode work and is it Llama-appropriate" experiment on my work laptop and my conclusions are that while Classic seems to be proper Llama rather than Llama-but, I don't think I like it very much compared to the "full" version.

I'm not sure when I'll make the leap over to FM13, I only moved from FM11 to FM12 when my save got borked because of a bug where your club is having a stadium built during a takeover that then renders the stadium building into uncompleted limbo, meaning that I could never upgrade or get a new stadium.
28-02-2013, 09:40 PM
In all honesty FM13 is by far the most in-depth and realistic version yet. Under those terms it's the best. Unfortunately, it's also the version that grabs me and has that 'one more game' factor the least. It quite simply doesn't make me want to play it. Under those terms it's the worst version since CM4 - which I didn't buy (the only version I haven't owned) having witnessed the bugs and sheer unplayability in a friend's copy.

For me there is something not quite right about FM13 and it's a shame because - Steam association aside - it has the potential to be a fantastic game.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
04-03-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM by Soulfusion.)
I don't get this 'most in depth and realistic version yet' argument. The 1/3rd season I have been able to play just seems to continue to the next match in three clicks. The training module is borked; previously I could tailor my training for the different playing 'departments' but it seems in this version all players have to do the same general training. Scouting just doesn't work well at all and I am yet to get a single applicant for Head of Youth, strange since I am managing in Ireland with Wexford Youths!

So like JP I have no compunction to play 'just one more game'.

On a side note my computer seems fooked since the last FM13 patch came out a few weeks ago. As I have had to do two System Restores and several System Recoverys to waste several hours of potential FM playing time!

I think it will be back to Denmark on '12 for me.
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I should probably clarify that I meant tactically in-depth and realistic. The training is, quite frankly, shit. And match preparation is utter crap as evidenced by my AssMan's constant comments during matches:

Him - "We should spend more time practising defending free-kicks."
Me - "You're in charge of match preparation - you sort it!"

Next match:
Him - "We should spend more time practising defending free-kicks."
Me - "Oh, ffs!"

Scouting is better imo. Except that scouts seem to decide they're going to scout where they want rather than where I want. Their reports are good, their discipline less so. And yes, I have altered the settings to ensure that I am in control of where and when scouting trips are planned.

The job centre is as borked as its ever been and we still can't remove applicants we don't want from the response lists to job adverts. We've only been asking since about 2006!

I really want to like this version, I just can't.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
22-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I still haven't had my flagship 2012 career, and I point blank refuse to get a new game until I have.

It's incredibly frustrating, because I bought 2012 solely on the power of the variable nation ranking thing, and I still haven't played long enough to see it in effect.

Perhaps my return here will inspire me to give it a real bash though... I often think I enjoy talking about hobbies more than I do actually taking part in the hobbies. Wink
29-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Played a few matches tonight and actually ENJOYED it Faint
29-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Heretic! Burn him! Smile
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
29-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Good man Mrgreen

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I've noticed after changing the graphics thingy in preferences from GPU to Software I have had no crashes whatsoever.
Don't know whether this will help anyone but worth a try if you are experiencing problems.