Darts The Official Darts Thread
21-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Watching the PDC world championship at the moment and they have got Flintoff commentating alongside Sid Waddell and John Gwynne. Now Sid and Gwynney are both very annoying at the best of times, but my god is Flintoff a bad commentator! Wish he would stick to cricket!
(And yes before a smartarse replies I know he's retired!)Tongue
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]

07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Watching the quarter final between Bunting and Winstanley, and just seen Bunting miss with 6 darts at double top.

He then had the gusto to posture to the crowd when he got double 10 with the 7th dart. Muppet. He should be embarrassed.
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
The thing is, in the BDO that sort of standard is common place, at times when we're in the pub if you miss with 3 darts you lose the leg. and these are professionals!

07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
The funny thing is this Winstanley fellow just can't hit a double except for tops. He's just had 6 darts at 32, and has already had to go for double 1 at least twice. Makes me feel at home as that's my plan too Mrgreen
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Did anyone watch the ladies semi-final yesterday where they took seemingly half an hour to finish the leg. My Mrs. is thinking of taking up the sport after that!
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM by keefa.)
As I typed that Winstanley checked out by hitting the bull in one attempt Mrgreen

No, I don't watch the womens darts. Hasn't Trina Gulliver won it every year bar 1 since 2000?
07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I remember her losing one year to Anastasia Dobromyslova, she is now in the PDC playing against the men

Edit: Dobromyslova is HOT by the way

07-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Aye, she's definitely my favourite darts player Mrgreen
07-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Jan Dekker is only in the quarters because Stuart Kellet played his worst ever game of darts in round two, and he's being well and truly spanked by Gary Thompson now.
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
...and with my scathing words, Jan Dekker is now on the charge and looking like going level at 3 sets all Mrgreen

Thompson started a leg with a 180, then swiftly followed it with a 21 with his next 3 darts!
07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Sounds like me! Mrgreen

07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Dekker had a brilliant come back against Thompson. When he got it to 3-1, even then you could sense the tide of the match turn.
09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Fair play, if this Winstanley lad could finish, he'd be a cracking player. He certainly scores heavily enough!
09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Good to see Martin Adams win again. It does feel slightly hollow these days though - all the talk of him matching Eric Bristow's record of 3 in a row. It's just not the same tournament these days is it.

Can't believe Winstanley is only 29. If I stood next to him you'd think he was about 15 years older than me. Mrgreen
10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Talking of that I was surprised to see Ross Smith was only 21 - he looks like he's had a hard life! I agree it did seem a bit hollow comparing his record with Bristow.
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Isn't this the 'B' World darts championship?
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Really, if we want to get technical about it, the BDO is THE world championship.

But the PDC broke away and created their own version and because that has more money because it's on Sky, most the best players go to that because they can earn more, so the standard in that is generally higher.
10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Technically you are correct there daf, the BDO is the 'proper' world championship, but like you say all the best players move to the PDC.
Adams will never move to the PDC which some view as a shame. In fairness I think it is a savvy move on his part as if he was to go to the PDC he would get found out very quickly and become mediocre at best. Currently in the BDO he is top dog and I think he likes that, there is no way he would get to that level in the PDC

10-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I love the fact that the PDC invite him to the 'grand slam' event every year, and he refuses, every year.

It got to a point where they said they wouldn't invite him, and he replied by saying "it just means I don't have to reject them every year" Mrgreen
10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, at the age of 54 or whatever he is, there's no point Adams moving over to PDC now. If he was going to move he needed to do it 10 years ago imo.

Like you say, he's top dog in the BDO right now. He must know he wouldn't get close to that in the PDC, so he'd be silly to move.

I do think it's a shame the sport is split like this to be honest. I know it's an idealist point of view and you have the Grand Slam of Darts (and, although Adams refuses to play in it, I don't understand why that isn't considered to be the most prestigious tournament as surely the winner of that is the real World Champion??), but it would be nice if the sport could somehow be unified again. I doubt it ever will though.

Incidentally, the Grand Slam of Darts has been held 4 times. Phil Taylor won the first 3 and Scott Waites from the BDO won the 4th. Standard can't be all that bad in the BDO, eh. Wink