The Official  :teach: thread
30-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Another 2 essays towards my Teaching Support Assistant qualification done. \o/

That's 9 down... only another... 172 to go! Blink

Twitch

03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
CELTA interview done and survived. The written part was easier than I expected - no word types or tenses, which is a bit of a bugger as I spent most of the time prior revising mainly those - but my teaching demonstration was a bit rubbish - remembered all the things you guys said, rehearsed beforehand, and then when it came to doing it, half of it went out of the window. I thought I rushed it, didn't cover all the things I rehearsed and spent too much time facing the board instead of the students... But I didn't panic at least (my worst fear).

Right now I'm preparing to be gently rejected - maybe told to reapply at a later date when I've gained some experience perhaps - only so as not to be disappointed if/when I fail to get on the course. I'll hear Wednesday either way though, so watch this space for the good or bad news.

03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Well a first step is usually the hardest. I hope you get in, but if not, will you try again?
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
I think it'll depend on how encouraging/discouraging the rejection is - they may, politely, say "look mate, you're just not cut out for this - look elsewhere." In which case I'll probably focus on the Teaching Support and leave it at that. If they think I have potential, however, then I'll definitely go away and work on my weaknesses and have another go, while I can, for sure.

03-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Is School Direct my best way to look at getting in the door?
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
@ JP: To go on to become a teacher in a Primary school?

@Keith: Don't be so sure you've mucked it up. You don't have to be perfect. The actual teacher training will start once you are accepted, all they want at this stage is some promise and some personality. If you didn't panic that will help them feel like you would be a clam influence in the classroom, a major bonus. Keep positive!
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
03-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Good luck Keith, I hope they saw the potential in you Thup
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
04-06-2013, 08:54 AM
(03-06-2013, 08:45 PM)WilliamMcBeard Wrote: @Keith: If you didn't panic that will help them feel like you would be a clam influence in the classroom, a major bonus. Keep positive!

I'd love to see Keith be a clam influence in a classroom Mrgreen
04-06-2013, 04:49 PM
(03-06-2013, 08:45 PM)WilliamMcBeard Wrote: @ JP: To go on to become a teacher in a Primary school?

Yeah. That was what the guy on the DfE web chat recommended. Not sure it's right myself.

Thing is I think I need to be in a position to be 'earning while learning' so from that position it's right, but it seems more aimed at middle/high school teachers imo.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Realised I made two basic, elementary mistakes in the spelling part of the written test. I said "practice" and "accommodation" were spelt wrong. And they're not. And I know that and have always known it. Nerves = Nobrain

Ah well! If I still get in I'll be amazed, but if I don't, I have nobody to blame but myself and all that. Doh

04-06-2013, 05:36 PM
@jp- volunteer then at then go from there
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
But volunteering doesn't pay. And I'm currently unemployed.

Need money Sad
04-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Hmmm..... try and get in as a TA? Positions come up all the time. Just leave your details and a cover letter with every school practical. Or, if you can get onto a PGCE, the bursaries are pretty good.
04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Cheers! It all just seems like such a complicated process. I guess going into it at 18-21 (or just at that point where you're starting your working life) is easier and more clear cut than at 37 with family ties etc.

I was thinking earlier today that if this comes off - and it hopefully will - that with class sizes of around 30 and roughly 30 years of work left, I have the opportunity to impact and enhance around 1000 lives. How many jobs can offer that kind of opportunity? Not many IMO. Nursing and other medical disciplines definitely. Possibly some kind of social services role. But not many others.

Wish I'd gone into teaching younger. A proper careers' advisor might have been a start!
05-06-2013, 01:16 AM
True but from my view as a parent of teenagers, the wet-behind the ears 22 year old teacher straight from University are often the worse teachers. Often teachers need to have some real-life experience before they can become great teachers. Good luck JP!
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I got accepted onto the CELTA! Faint

They offered me a place starting January instead of September - because it's an "18-week course and we feel that this more extensive format would be better suited to your needs and would give you the best chance of attaining the CELTA qualification", which is a polite way of saying I was a bit rubbish, but with a lot of work not entirely without hope or potential I guess. But I don't care. In is in and the rest is down to hard work.

I've been out of work and out of the interview-type game so long, this was a real challenge for me and nerves played a huge part. I would have been ok with a rejection - I was more than prepared for that - so to get on, despite my nerves and poor showing at the interview, feels really good.

Still a long way to go, but for now - :whew: and Celebrate

05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Wagherty!11!!!!!!

Congrats Keith, and good luck on the course Thup
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Well done Keith. Good work Thup
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
05-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Well done Keith! All the best for the course, of course.
05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Well done mate! Thup

GNU Terry Pratchett