Additional Llama Guidelines Discussion
10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
There are some good points made there Ole.

Generally in my Saves I tend not trust my Ass Man at all and handle most things myself anyway; team talks, training, formations, team selection etc and have a very strong 'hands on' rating. I certainly never trust the HYD to handle contract negotiations with the youth players as I end up with a bunch of carp taking up much needed wage budget.

I consider the Ass Man to be a sounding board sometimes taking his advice and often not.

For team selection I take more notice of current form and performance rather than perceived ability and have been surprised how often a 2* back up player will out perform a 4* rated key player.
10-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Just for the sake of argument though, if you are going to employ a head of youth development wouldn't it be more realistic if he was the one handling contract negotiations?
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I think irl yes, although the manager and DoF has a fair amount of say in this as well. Some clubs use the DoF AS the HYD irl as well.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
11-05-2014, 01:10 AM
I've recently started picking the team alphabetically to make it more challenging too Wink
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
11-05-2014, 01:45 AM
I think I'll always use an assistant, with the exception of those clubs so poor they can't afford one!

I like to have a second opinion to either back up my ideas on who is doing well, or to completely ignore when they don't agree Mrgreen realistically though I never just go with what AM says - partly for realism reasons but also partly because most of the time my assistants are so rubbish they can't be fully trusted anyway!

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
11-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Ya I enjoy having coaches meetings where I just continually hit the disregard advice button. I think my favorite staff recommendation I got last season was when they recommended a rubbish defender tutor my young super talented striker. I guess the defender could partially play striker but still!
11-05-2014, 11:33 AM
As I said, I needed to play without an ass.man for two seasons because I needed to take control of my club again after having delegated more and more responsibility - or gotten lazier as it's actually called. So, that was a rule that I've scratched and I'm only going to employ if my ass.man starts running my club again. That wasn't the interesting new guideline so I'm sort of baffled that the rule I scratched got all the attention.. Mrgreen
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

11-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I'd still rather be able to see attributes. I mean, I know this could get very tippy, but surely tictacs are based around your players attributes? Maybe I'm missing the point, but don't all managers know the strengths and weaknesses of their players (and thanks to scouting, the opposition's players) and set their team up/plan how to stop the opposition using these attributes?
11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
It would be nice to control the 'vagueness' of the attributes.

Instead of the very precise numbers, you could have an assistant or coach (or your own self) note that their crossing is good, finishing is world class, tackling is woeful... etc.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
11-05-2014, 02:11 PM
(11-05-2014, 01:34 PM)f1dave Wrote: It would be nice to control the 'vagueness' of the attributes.

Instead of the very precise numbers, you could have an assistant or coach (or your own self) note that their crossing is good, finishing is world class, tackling is woeful... etc.

Yeah, having the very precise numbers is exactly what I don't like and why I chose to hide them all because FM doesn't provide any other options than those two. The idea is to figure out your players' strengths and weaknesses through watching games and a lot of stats analysis. If your winger has 5 assists in 5 games, all from crosses, you pretty much know if he's a good crosser or not. Or at least that he can get the job done. If your center backs completes 5% of their short passes, they should probably be more direct or hit long passes. With the amount of stats you get after every game you should be able to at least get some idea of the attributes without knowing the exact numbers.

Obviously this approach takes a lot more time and effort, but when I tested it out for two seasons it was really the pre-season and first 5-10 games of the season, where I watched full games and spent a lot of time taking notes, but after that, when you have your first XI and a working formation/tactics, you can speed the game up. But if you're used to flying through the games and seasons, this approach is probably not for you.

What I loved about this approach though is that it just felt more realistic. I'm not saying everyone should use this approach and I'm definitely not saying that if you don't you're not playing it realistic or anything like that, don't get me wrong. But I loved the feeling and pace of the game and that's why I recommend people giving it a try. If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine.
Previous saves: 

11-05-2014, 02:46 PM
It is interesting, and I am considering giving it a try, but I just think you're handicapping yourself way more than you need to. For example, in the scout reports you are told that PotentialNewWinger's pace is his main strength, acceleration his next best, with marking being his weakness, and strength his next weakest. Then you're relying on the scout's star rating of the player rather than having any idea of any actual abilities such as crossing or dribbling, never mind the fact that he might not be as quick as the player you would replace him with, it's just that is his best attribute.
11-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Is there not a skin out there that replaces the numbers with bars?
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

11-05-2014, 05:18 PM
(11-05-2014, 02:46 PM)keefa Wrote: It is interesting, and I am considering giving it a try, but I just think you're handicapping yourself way more than you need to. For example, in the scout reports you are told that PotentialNewWinger's pace is his main strength, acceleration his next best, with marking being his weakness, and strength his next weakest. Then you're relying on the scout's star rating of the player rather than having any idea of any actual abilities such as crossing or dribbling, never mind the fact that he might not be as quick as the player you would replace him with, it's just that is his best attribute.

That's a very good point and shows that it's not easy to find a perfect solution here. You should be able to get some information on a wingers ability to cross or drible from scouts, even the crappy ones you usually have in the lower leagues.

Not trying to be mr. Positivity here, but I can see some added realism here as well. Usually in a scout report you see a players main strenghts and weaknesses + the attributes. Remove the attributes, and you have a much more insufficient scouting report, which of course is not more realistic. But I like that because 1) you sign a player because he has qualities that you want (strenghts) without knowing exactly how good he is in every single category, and 2) you're much more careful about signing players, maybe trying to get them on trials first to test them out or loan them with a transfer fee agreed on should he turn out to be good. Less turnover of players is a good thing in my opinion. Either way the scout usually tells you how a potential new signing compares to players already in your team and a star rating which is more than enough to decide whether or not you should sign him.

It would be nice if you could ask for the scouts opinion on certain qualities that you're looking for, but that's something SI needs to implement. As mentioned, this is not a perfect solution - neither playing with nor without attributes showing is ideal - but it's the best I can do without any help from the game developers. The point is, "as realistic as possible within the limits of the game", and that's all I'm aiming for here.

(11-05-2014, 02:51 PM)JD95 Wrote: Is there not a skin out there that replaces the numbers with bars?

Yes, I think I've seen one of those skins. Haven't tested it myself though.
Previous saves: 

12-05-2014, 04:21 PM
(11-05-2014, 02:51 PM)JD95 Wrote: Is there not a skin out there that replaces the numbers with bars?

I think the normal skin has that option anyway
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
19-06-2014, 11:53 PM
So, during my career at Fram Larvik, I've asked the board several times for certain upgrades, like youth facilities, training facilities or even a new stadium. I've never thought about it before, but then it hit me; do managers normally make such requests? Is it realistic or should one stay away from board requests and let the board sort it out?

I don't know what sort of progress the board would have made in these areas without my nagging but is it LLM? What are you guys' thoughts on this?

(I put this question here as there are no guidelines (that I know of) about this at the time so it would have to be an additional guideline I guess, so I thought the discussion could take place here. Hope thats ok)
Previous saves: 

20-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I'd think it's realistic. I mean, if the manager thinks it's something that can help take the club to the next level, then he's probably going to ask for it isn't he?

Same goes for requests to reduce spending on youth recruitment and what have you, in order to save money that could be put to use elsewhere.

20-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Youth and training facilities are reasonable IMO. Not saying every manager would do it but I can certainly see a number of managers taking the view that they need the right facilities to do their job to the best of their ability. New stadium or stadium expansion? Not for me. That's the kind of thing the money men behind the scenes decide on - the people who set budgets rather than spend them. That said I understand why those options are in the game.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
08-11-2016, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 02:06 PM by SackedLlaMa. Edit Reason: Rewrote details on research and added the Extra guideline at the bottom )
Bringing this 2+ year old thread back to life as I've had quite some time to think while simulating through seasons while only collecting data... Mrgreen 

Since I'm clicking through about a million job interviews during this 'research project' of mine, I started thinking about how I could incorporate interviews into my careers in a better way. The problem I have with the interviews right now (and since job interviews were introduced in FM really) is that after a few interviews I know all the questions and usually I answer the same thing each time. It feels like a mini-game where I just try to not say anything too controversial in hopes of being offered the job. Therefore the interviews are no longer fun or interesting or exciting; they're just something to get done quickly. 

So, I tried to rethink my approach to interviews. My goal was to put more time and consideration into (basically) my own future by carefully considering what would be a good or a bad move for my career and if I would be a good or a bad fit at that club (although ultimately that's the board's decision). So I came up with a multiple step process. 

Note: this is not really meant as a hard and fast rule or guideline really. It's not something you would have to follow each and every time otherwise you're breaking the rules. There are no real rules here, just an idea for how to get more realism and entertainment out of a stale and rather boring interview process Smile 

Step 1: Preparing for the interview 
I'm not gonna put too much thought into what jobs I apply for since it's annoying to waste a lot of time on researching clubs that won't even invite me to an interview. When I do get invited to attend an interview, I first have to do some research into the club who sent the invite and come up with a plan. This is the preparation for the interview;   

Step 1.1 Research: 
- Here I'm looking at the club's league position (media prediction if in preseason) and schedule, their facilities, their finances and last but not least, their squads, both senior and youth. Edit: Also, I'll have a look at their staff and decide who I want to continue and who I would want to leave should I get the job. 

Step 1.2 Coming up with a plan:
- Based on the information I gather from step 1.1, I then have to come up with a strategy or plan for the club moving forward. What that strategy will look like is entirely up to you and will most likely differ from club to club based on the situation the club currently finds itself in. I.e. if you're being interviewed by a club deep in relegation trouble, you could come up with a short-term plan to avoid relegation (and a long-term plan in case your short-term plan works). If you take over a club in preseason who's expected to finish mid-table, you might focus on a long-term plan instead. Squads, expectations, situations all differ from club to club, so my plan and approach to an interview should differ as well (or no?  Shrug )

My plan, short-term or long-term, will include one, several or all (based on how much I want to put into it) of the following points: 

- Rethink my playing style/formation; should I always prioritize my own personal philosophy or take the club, its players and current situation more into account? And if I do stick with my own philosophy, do I think the club in question has the right players and setup for that playing style to succeed? If not, maybe I won't attend the interview.
- Rethink my own philosophy on building a club, trying to take into consideration where the club in question is located (i.e. big city or in the countryside), facilities, finances etc. 
- Backroom staff; what's their current setup? Who do I want to keep or get rid of? Do I need extra funds to reorganize or hire more staff? 
- Is there a language barrier and do I see it as a potential obstacle? 
- What do I need in terms of wage and/or transfer budget to implement my plans? 
- Do I see myself as a long-term or short-term solution? 
- Will I be able to take care of the finances or are they out of my control? 
- What do I see as a realistic target to reach? The minimum board expectation or higher? 
- What do I need the board to promise me if I am to reach my goals or fulfill my plans? 

I'm looking for a way to be much better prepared for the interview than just have my standard answers regarding playing style and club building. Also, at least at the lower levels, there might be a few or maybe a lot of clubs that won't fit me, whether that's based on playing style, facilities, how to build a club etc, in which case I may not want to attend. Or maybe I won't see eye to eye with the board during interviews which makes me withdraw (or not accept if they offer me the job). I don't think it's too difficult to actually get a job (based on my experiments) but this would make it a bit more difficult and I think it could add an extra element of realism. 

Finally, with my plan in front of me, I'll make a decision on whether or not to attend the interview. That decision is based on whether I see my plan as a good one or a realistic one or something I won't be able to pull of. Also, I'll take into consideration whether it'll be a good or a bad move for my career (these days I also take into consideration the economy – especially if I have to fly or move to a different country – but that's not really part of this guideline). 

Step 2: The Interview
This step is pretty simple; stay true to the plan I've laid out. Basically, on every question asked, I'll try to answer according to the plan that I've laid out, my opinion on the club's current situation, staff etc and how to move forward, and not let the chairman's opinions or what I think he wants to hear influence my answers. My plan is what I'm selling and if that doesn't fit what the club is doing, the club should look elsewhere.

Note: Whether you actually try to follow through with your plan should you be offered the job is another matter. I would probably test it out at least, but at the same time I'm not limited to one plan as it's one thing to judge the team from the outside and an entirely different thing to work with the players, lead them in games, dealing with injuries and players leaving etc. 

So, that's my idea for making interviews a bit more interesting, realistic, fun, what-have-you. I haven't had time to test it properly myself yet, but if you do or you already do something similar and I'm just sooo 2015, feel free to leave some feedback about your experience. As always, thoughts, questions and/or feedback is appreciated!

-----------
Extra: # of interviews per day/week/month
I'll throw in an extra addition as well that would make even attending interviews a bigger decision to make; Limit the amount of interviews I'm allowed to attend in a certain period of time. I haven't tested or thought this one through yet, except I think one interview per day should be a maximum. What I'll take into consideration is how many days I would need in real life to prepare for one interview (following the method above) which may then give me the number of days I should allow between attending interviews. I'll figure something out, but just limiting myself to 1 interview a day could potentially give me situations where I have to evaluate 2-3 clubs and then go for what I believe is the best plan and best club for me, reject the other two interviews and possibly miss out on all of them. It at least makes being unemployed more exciting I think Smile
Previous saves: 

08-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I always answer honestly based on my playing style. I know this has cost me jobs as one board wanted me to commit to playing a direct and defensive style. I refused to agree to those visions/philosophies and missed out on the job (that was the quoted reason for them going for the other candidate iirc).
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
09-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Was it Blades by any chance? Mrgreen