Additional Llama Guidelines Discussion
09-11-2016, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't lower myself to apply, never mind attend an interview, for that job.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
10-11-2016, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016, 02:07 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
(08-11-2016, 10:51 PM)JP Wrote: I always answer honestly based on my playing style.  I know this has cost me jobs as one board wanted me to commit to playing a direct and defensive style.  I refused to agree to those visions/philosophies and missed out on the job (that was the quoted reason for them going for the other candidate iirc).

Yeah, that's what I've been doing so far as well regarding playing style and how to build a club. What I'm adding now (or attempt to anyway) is a more complete plan before I even attend the interview that takes the club I'm applying at more into consideration. When I say 'more complete' what I mean is;

- Rethink my playing style/formation; should I always prioritize my own personal philosophy or take the club, its players and current situation more into account? And if I do stick with my own philosophy, do I think the club in question has the right players and setup for that playing style to succeed? If not, maybe I won't attend the interview.
- Rethink my own philosophy on building a club, trying to take into consideration where the club in question is located (i.e. big city or in the countryside), facilities, finances etc. 
- Backroom staff; what's their current setup? Who do I want to keep or get rid of? Do I need extra funds to reorganize or hire more staff? 
- Is there a language barrier and do I see it as a potential obstacle? 
- What do I need in terms of wage and/or transfer budget to implement my plans? 
- Do I see myself as a long-term or short-term solution? 
- Will I be able to take care of the finances or are they out of my control? 
- What do I see as a realistic target to reach? The minimum board expectation or higher? 
- What do I need the board to promise me if I am to reach my goals or fulfill my plans? 

So, basically what I'm thinking is what I've been doing so far, only bigger and more thought through, if that makes sense. To be much better prepared for the interview than just have my standard answers regarding playing style and player purchasing. Also, at least at the lower levels, there might be a few or maybe a lot of clubs that won't fit me, whether that's based on playing style, facilities, how to build a club, in which case I may not want to attend. Or maybe I won't see eye to eye with the board during interviews which makes me withdraw (or not accept if they offer me the job). I don't think it's too difficult to actually get a job (based on my experiments) but this would make it a bit more difficult and I think it could add an extra element of realism. 

-----------
I'll throw in an extra addition as well that would make even attending interviews a bigger decision to make; Limit the amount of interviews I'm allowed to attend in a certain time period. I haven't tested or thought this one through yet, except I think one interview per day should be a maximum. What I'll take into consideration is how many days I would need in real life to prepare for one interview (following the method above) which may then give me the number of days I should allow between attending interviews. I'll figure something out, but just limiting myself to 1 interview a day could potentially give me situations where I have to evaluate 2-3 clubs and then go for what I believe is the best plan and best club for me, reject the other two interviews and possibly miss out on all of them.

Still thinking about this one, nothing set in stone Smile

Edit: I updated the first post on this guideline to make it a bit more clear and add some details.
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

10-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Don't think I've ever had more than one interview in a day. I couldn't be sure I've had more than one in a week, even when unemployed.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
10-11-2016, 02:45 PM
(10-11-2016, 02:08 PM)JP Wrote: Don't think I've ever had more than one interview in a day. I couldn't be sure I've had more than one in a week, even when unemployed.

It's probably a 'reaction' to my current experiment, sometimes having to attend 4-5 interviews in one day Mrgreen
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
If you load the Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish and Norweigan leagues its quite possible to get several interviews on the same day when looking for a job at the start of a save.
10-11-2016, 10:26 PM
In that case you should probably check the flight times before accepting the interviews Mrgreen