MLS
17-02-2014, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014, 07:41 PM by JD95 aka Fidsy Jr..)
I'm surprised there's not been a thread on this yet (that I've seen anyway), but then I guess it's not of major interest to many people.

Anyone follow an MLS team? My personal favourite are the Portland Timbers. Smile
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
17-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Columbus for myself. I live about forty minutes north of the stadium and make it fairly frequently to matches there. Sure wish I had more quality football nearby though, they've been pretty shite since 2008.
17-02-2014, 08:03 PM
I quite like Columbus. From what I know it seems a fairly working class based club like my team and the fan base seems pretty passionate.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

17-02-2014, 10:33 PM
A San Jose Earthquakes fan here, I'm about an hour or so north of where they play, very much looking forward to the new stadium they're constructing. Kind of an odd existence as they started with one of the marquee names in the league, Eric Wynalda, then did little more than play in extremely garish jerseys until they rebranded themselves as the the Earthquakes, got Landon Donovan (and just as importantly, Ronnie Ekelund), won a few MLS Cups, then were snuffed by MLS with a move to become the Houston Dynamo, then brought back as an expansion team that managed to win the Supporter's Shield a few years back.

The league is difficult to follow for me, not because of the quality of the play (which has increased immeasurably since the first years); rather, the single-entity nature of the league instead of the teams owning the rights to the players makes it hard not to feel like you're witnessing some long-play of three-card monte and it also prevents the teams from really establishing identities.
17-02-2014, 11:12 PM
That's one of my main issues with it to be honest. Not really a fan of the whole draft thing, and not just because I don't have a clue how it works. I know it provides financial security for all clubs to be owned by MLS but that exacerbates the overly corporate feel of it all.

18-02-2014, 02:15 AM
I would be a fan of the draft if the players in it were actually any quality. Generally the whole thing is a crap shoot. I think the problem thee is the joke of the college version of the game.

Unlimited substitution (no reentry in same half)
Clock stoppages
Weird 5 minute overtime periods
Timeouts on some televised matches

That is just no way to prepare these players for the next level.
18-02-2014, 02:50 AM
And people wonder why the best Americans don't stick around to play in this league. Lol

18-02-2014, 03:20 AM
For the record, I'm a Timbers fan.
18-02-2014, 03:46 AM
That's why the best young American talent join youth squads in England and Germany instead of going to college in the States. It is 4-5 years of wasted development!
18-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Makes me feel slightly better. Our state league isn't much chop but at least we play by the rules of the game FFS

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
18-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I guess on the bright side MLS plays by FIFA rules now. We used to have a countdown clock and hockey style shootouts.
10-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Figured with the EPL coming to a close tomorrow I would give this thread a bump and throw out a few conversation points.

1. League expansion
It has been an eventful year for announcements of new clubs entering MLS. Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, and Manchester City (err NYCFC) will all be causing headaches for the SI coders for years to come. I for one am not concerned with the dilution of talent that some worry about. I think having more teams at the top level means more exposure, more playing time, and more fans of the game in the USA. This is a good thing.

2. The NASL and the USL are battling for lower league relevancy. MLS signed an agreement with the USL that I hope will lead to the inclusion of an accurate lower league being developed in future versions of FM. MLS teams can now field reserve or second teams in USL play. Also new USL sides have begun forming all over the country. One in San Antonio even rivals many MLS sides in attendance.

The NASL on the other hand is an interesting experiment, but it is one that has already failed here once. They market themselves as an alternative to the single entity model of MLS and look to pave the way toward a more European style league structure. As long as the big money investors remain committed to MLS the new NASL is doomed to obscurity.

3. CONCACAF Champions League.

AKA the Mexican League Championship. MLS sides lined up and made fools of themselves against their Mexican Counterparts this year. A big factor was budget, but a bigger factor was, and has been scheduling. The summer schedule that goes against most other leagues in the world means American sides are in their preseason when the CCL gets going. There is no easy fix here. MLS in direct competition to the NFL would be a disaster. Still I think they could could come up with some way get CCL qualified teams more playing time prior to their Continental Campaigns.

-------------
Anyway thanks for indulging me on my American ramblings.... Go Crew (who are on a 6 game winless streak that will hopefully end tonight)
10-05-2014, 08:59 PM
What do you think is the next step for MLS? I wish there was a way to incorporate relegation but I reckon that's a long way off with owners not really wanting to chance not being in the top flight for the money they put in.

10-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Well when you look at what MLS really is, it is one giant, nationwide club. The league owns (at least) 51% of each club. This is how they control the redistribution of money throughout the league, and is what we refer to as a single entity system. A big step toward becoming a truly globally competitive league would be to move away from this system.

As for relegation, it would be a very difficult sell to the average American. They would not understand the system very well, and people would fight tooth and nail against it. Editorials about how the Yankees could be relegated with one bad year if they used that system. Or just how far the Browns would fall...

Everything comes down to the money in the end though, and I just down see Promotion-Relegation in a US system of investors.
14-05-2014, 12:34 PM
There's rumblings of Cole heading off to the US should Liverpool not come in for him.

14-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Nah, Carlton isn't our sort of player
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
14-05-2014, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2014, 11:46 PM by Casdelo.)
Most USA/MLS fans want either talented American players, big name recognition Europeans (former English captain with a spicy wife, and former Arsenal Frenchy with a golden boot that now plys his trade for an energy drink New York club). We also like South American and Caribbean talent on the cheap!
15-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Cas I know you were pulled up for Player/Coach naming in an LLM thread but it is allowed in the General Discussion threads.

OK?
15-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I haven't been on the computer site for a few weeks now, is that clear from the forum description things? If not maybe it could be more so

15-05-2014, 02:10 PM
(15-05-2014, 11:49 AM)Soulfusion Wrote: Cas I know you were pulled up for Player/Coach naming in an LLM thread but it is allowed in the General Discussion threads.

OK?

I know I was just being an ass about it :-)