Update for FM'12 F Swe -> E Med
06-02-2015, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 03:10 PM by The New Doctor.)
Season 11 - 2021/22 - Balikesirspor - Turkish First Division

A disappointing season here.  Expected by the board to get promoted, predicted 5th by the media but it all fell apart spectacularly.  I was able to get down to 3 foreign players, per the rules in the TFD, but only by, of course, selling the quality.  Still, we started OK, playing well and running in the top 6 and I was starting to think about how we would fare in the Premier.  Fatal.  With a thinner squad the injuries and suspensions mounted and we collapsed.  We slid down to 16th, threatened to revive, collapsed again and struggled to 15th, just missing relegation.  Part of it was the system, no doubt.  We had a surfeit of attack-minded players, and no defense, which coupled with poor finishing meant that we lost many games we shouldn't have.  I tried a couple of tactics but to no avail.

The board stayed with me (so far) despite the dramatic underperformance.  I don't know if we will be much better next year, and of course I don't know if the board will stay with me again after a couple of tough seasons.

P34 W11 D8 L15 -6 15/18

Players in: 3 for $0
Players out:  10 for $500k
06-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Your board sound quite patient, that's a good trait to have. It'll be good to see if they stick with you next season depending on how you do.
06-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Well at least you are still in a job... for now.....
07-02-2015, 01:59 AM
I do love Good/New Doctor posts for this very reason - you keep at it. Got the money to increase squad depth next season?

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Sounds like the team might have been a bit jaded by the relegation as well. Good luck righting the ship next season.
10-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Season 12 - 2022/23 _ Balikesirspor - Turkish First Division

So the board were fantastic, and reduced their expectations to Avoid Relegation this season.  They did keep the wage and transfer budgets high though, which was nice.  It felt odd but very good that the board came with me on the journey.
At the start of the season obviously I looked for Turkish players since I had all the foreign contingent I was allowed, helped by Orduspor coming in for my best DC.  I was able to get in a nice replacement for him, plus a DM that the fans thought was unnecessary and a really good ST prospect for quite high money.  We were predicted 14th.

A poor preseason always seems to augur well, and we had quite a poor one.  The highlight was Getafe (Spain) destroying us with ex-Man City, current Liverpool 'Why Always Me' ST really playing very well.

But once the season proper started we were on form.  Always a little vulnerable to not scoring as often as we should have for the chances we created, but playing well and in the top three or four, prospect ST dovetailing well with our style.  At the winter break I decided to splash the cash to push for promotion and brought in an MC to solidify us there (again, fans thought it was unnecessary) and a DR/L to replace our aging DR and though we lost form straight after a good derby win at Bandirmaspor set us going and we went unbeaten in 13, winning 9straight to overhaul Boluspor and win the league.

P34 W21 D7 L6 +35 1/18 5points clear of Boluspor

Players in:  5 for $1.2m
Players out:  9 for $625k

Obviously the question is whether we can mix it a bit better in the Prem this time.  And the answer is I don't know.  We went out of the Turkish Cup at the first time of asking so didn't play any Premier sides.  It probably depends on the off season and whether anything better shows up at DL and GK.  Hopefully we can scrape 14th or 15th to stay up.
10-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Well done securing promotion and winning the League after a poor season last time out.
kutgw
11-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Very well done going back up in your second season, here's hoping the squad is more up for a fight in the top-flight.
18-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Season 13 - 2023/24 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

Since we were going back into the Premier Division I was able to get a couple more foreign players in.    The board didn't move anything though, meaning I had to hold the wage budget tight and had only $250k for transfers.  The postseason from last year also was a time to renegotiate contacts and I had no room meaning I couldn't offer anyone what they thought they were worth and I lost a few to free agency.  Fortunately the scouts found 3 free agents that were all great but it left us very thin.  

A mediocre preseason gave way to a strong start to the year.  The top 3 and eventually 4 teams (Galatasaray, Fenerbache, Besiktas and Trabzonspor) ran away but we were the best of the rest.  When the Turkish Cup came around I played the second-stringers and they were deservedly beaten by a second division side.  So we had decent starters and a poor bullpen.  In the second half of the season injuries and suspensions built up and we allowed Bursaspor past us.  As our starters returned our form ticked up and we had chances to overtake them again for 5th, but ultimately we couldn't make it and settled for 6th.  That means we have no chance of Europe but even so a hell of a season.  I have no complaints about the board's financial constraints, though hopefully they will loosen up next year as we made a hefty profit (we got paid more than $500k per win and we had plenty of those).

I am worried though that we will lose many of our best because we won't be able to stretch our wage budget enough to keep them all, so our sophomore effort may be tougher.

P34 W17 D5 L12 (including all 8 to the top 4) +18 6/18

Players in:  4 for $0
Players out:  12 for $0
19-02-2015, 06:24 AM
An astonishingly good first season back in the top flight, well done Doctor -- and missing out on Europe is probably a blessing in disguise if your squad is that thin. The prize money for winning is pretty good, isn't it? You must have made a great deal of money, which makes it disappointing that the the board won't pay more wages.
19-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Good start to your second go at the top flight. kutgw
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
19-02-2015, 01:25 PM
(19-02-2015, 06:24 AM)Scratchmonkey Wrote: An astonishingly good first season back in the top flight, well done Doctor -- and missing out on Europe is probably a blessing in disguise if your squad is that thin. The prize money for winning is pretty good, isn't it? You must have made a great deal of money, which makes it disappointing that the the board won't pay more wages.

We were lucky in the free agents we got, to be honest.  Wages are a pain, but the board stuck by me when they didn't need to so I'll stick by them now.  Just asked for facility upgrade - they said no, but they were persuaded by my rhetoric when I explained how we will enable our players to fulfill their potential.  Galatasaray and Besiktas offered me their jobs.  No way.  #BestBoardEver.
19-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Terrific season after your last spell in the top tier. Hopefully the Board shall repay your loyalty if things unravel next season.
kutgw
21-02-2015, 08:36 AM
There shall be no unravelling!

Great job doc, long may it continue.

13-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Season 14 - 2024/25 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

After last year's effort it was inevitable that we'd struggle to match that, and we didn't.  Though for the most part the team was the same or improved, the team took an age to gel.  During that time we lost 0-10 at Galatasaray where they had 11 shots on target and we had 8 or 9 so it wasn't quite as one-sided as you'd think from the scoreline.  We were running in and out of the relegation places for the first half of the season.  As we got some players back from injury I was able to field a more settled 11, and results started to pick up.  We managed our first points against the top 4 sides in drawing 1-1 with Besiktas and then 2-2 with eventual champions Fenerbache.  As things continued to pick up we went on a  5game win streak kick started by a deserved first win against Galatasaray (6-3 at home, partial revenge for the 0-10).  That hauled us up to our predicted finish of 10th where we stayed.  We threatened more but lost odd games we should have won (2-4 at home to already-relegated Altay hurt the most).

We put money into the facilities which were then downgraded by the end of the season because of technical advancements.  We now have Adequate senior and youth training.

So all-in-all not too bad.  Consolidating our status for now.  To some extent our future rides on one or two players.  If the big teams come in for them I don't think I could replace them adequately even with big money.  And for some reason our youth recruitment isn't very good.  But hopefully these things will improve soon.

P34 W13 D8 L13 -3 10/18 23points clear of relegation, 25points behind 4th place.
Players in:  9 for $375k
Players out:  11 for $250k
13-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Solid. Hopefully you can keep building.

13-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Right at the mid-point between Europe and going down and exactly where you were predicted. That's called meeting expectations, I think. Wink

Well done on avoiding second season syndrome, let's see if you can't kick off the next season a bit better (or at least avoid double-digits, fucking Galatasaray, they were my favorite team to beat in Turkey, even when they weren't the top club).
14-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Solid building work kutgw
23-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Season 15 - 2025/26 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

Predicted 13th by the media, budgets based on mid-table.  

The Big 4 dominated once again, Fenerbahce taking the title in the end.  We started quite well, then inconsistency and our main ST taking 20hours between goals slowed us down.  When he picked up, of course we picked up and drove well to the end in finishing 5th and into a EURO Cup place.  Again, whether that's a good thing is debatable.

Quite a bit of player upset leading to a few transfers, but the biggest was main ST asking for a transfer on the last day of the season.  It's not that we depend on him as such - he's very profligate - but he's very quick and a good dribbler and sets up a lot of goals or chances for us.  Playing without him would be just more ordinary.  Less frustrating maybe, but less exciting.  Hopefully the EURO qualification satisfies him a little.  We also had to say goodbye to a very good MC who'd not really settled well in Turkey.  We made a decent profit on him and had a very good replacement lined up and barely missed a beat.

Overall not too bad.  The future is looking OK, but breaking into the top 4 will be very hard.  We did OK this year against them with a couple of wins but they seem generally to be playing an order of magnitude better than the rest of the league.

P34 W17 D9 L8 +20 12points from 4th.
Players in:  3 for $0
Players out:  7 for $7.25m
23-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Went through the is-europe-a-blessing-or-a-curse thing myself... The money can help though if you get to the groups!