Update for FM'12 F Swe -> E Med
23-03-2015, 03:39 PM
So a bit of surgery required to the squad then Doc if you are to crack that Top 4 nut.

kutgw
23-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Just read through the whole thread. Excellent work as always Doc and as Dave said, your persisitency is admirable and thoroughly enjoyable. Good luck in Europe! Thup
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
23-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Very good season there, hopefully your main ST settles down. So the top four are Galatasaray, Beşiktaş, Fener, and....? Trabzonspor? Bursaspor?
10-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Top 4 are Fenerbache, Besiktas, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor.

Season 16 - 2026/27 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

A bit of a generic season here.  Not good enough for top 4, not relegation material, just fighting for mid-table order.

Some of my better players are getting poached now so there's a bit of turnover.  The transfer fees are going into getting the facilities upgraded for the most part.

The EURO Cup was a bit of fun, though as predicted it did cause some fitness issues with the league season.
Q3 - Rudar (Montenegro) - 3-1 (h), 4-0 (a)
Q4 - Standard (Belgium) - 1-1 (a), 3-0 (h)
Into Group B
Maritimo (Portugal) - 2-2 (h) lucky to grab a draw
At. Madrid (Spain) - 1-2 (a) and we should have lost by plenty
Olympiakos (Greece) - 0-3 (h) deserved defeat
Olympiakos - 2-1 (a) surprising fightback but fortunate
Maritimo - 3-3 (a) they fought back in the last 5mins
At. Madrid - 4-1 (h) great result that put us through though it flattered us tbh

KO R1 - Leverkusen (Germany) - 0-5 (h), 2-7 (a) that'll be that then

It was good to go up against some European teams, but that Leverkusen defeat tripped us up in morale and league form suffered.  But we stuttered to our predicted position of 7th which was fine for all.

P34 W16 D7 L11 +20 7/18 15points from 4th, 4 from 5th, 21 from relegation
Players in: 3 for $2.9m (all the fees were on a nice Turkish MC) 
Players out: 2 for $5m with more leaving at the start of next season.

It looks like there will be quite a bit of churn over the next few seasons.  Sell players on, push the facilities, scout and free agents to fill the holes until youths are coming through.

One odd thing did happen - Fenerbache set us up as an affiliate where they can send loan players.  Shows how much the top 4 think of the next tier of Turkish clubs.
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a pretty good season, hit your predicted spot in the league, made some money, ploughed the money into the infrastructure...how did the Turkish Cup go?
19-05-2015, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2015, 09:45 PM by The New Doctor.)
(10-04-2015, 06:46 PM)Scratchmonkey Wrote: ...how did the Turkish Cup go?

Out at the first hurdle, 0-1 at home to Trabzonspor. 

Season 17 - 2027/28 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

A more generic season, without the distraction of European football.  Bursaspor briefly threatened to break into the top 4 cartel, but Galatasaray recovered to knock them back to 5th, with us 6th (predicted 8th).

We did OK, and had some candidates for Turkish Player of the Season, but ultimately this was, as I said, generic.

We qualify for the EURO Cup next season because of finishing 6th, and I've been cautiously expanding the squad where appropriate to allow for two teams, effectively.  Priority to the league, but a decent side for Europe and the Turkish Cup.  Training facilities are now upgraded (to Average) and the Youth facilities development is under way.  

Our fast-yet-wayward ST was sold just after the end of the season by Palermo meeting a minimum fee release clause I don't remember allowing.  I tried to offer him a new contract asap but to no avail.  I've been trying to imagine and work around what it would be like if he moved on but we've not had a long-enough cup run/suspension/injury to actual try it.  Now it's happened.  Ah, well.

P34 W18 D6 L10 +19 6/18 - 5points from 4th, 16 clear of 8th.
Players in:  6 for $1m
Players out:  21 for $7.5m 
19-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Europa qualification is not to be sniffed at kutgw
19-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Nice work to exceed expectations and Europe is a nice bonus, although it can stretch a squad fairly badly.

I was going to say that I've noticed that players are a lot more aggressive about including minimum fee release clauses, then I noticed that this appears to be a FM12 save. If you ever upgrade, be prepared for a lot more of that.
20-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Not a bad result for a "generic season"!

kutgw
20-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I'd take it!

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
12-06-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 03:18 PM by The New Doctor.)
Season 18 - 2028/29 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

A fairly dull season really.  Never good enough to get into the top 4, just good enough to pull away from the other mid-table teams.  Boluspor threatened to upset the world order by running 2nd early on, but faded away.  We should have overtaken them for 5th but put in a couple of appalling performances to lose to Boluspor 0-2 at home and then 12th-placed Sakaryaspor 0-3 away down the stretch.

Most of the intrigue was whether our top scorer would stay.  In the end he did, though I had to break the bank and wasn't sure I should have done it.  He would have walked on a free though ...

In Europe (EURO Cup) we got through the group stage but lost in KO R1 to eventual winners Fiorentina 1-1 (h) and 2-3 (a).  

We still aren't in a position to challenge for the top table and judging by the way transfer negotiations went it will be some time before we are.

P34 W18 D7 L9 +13 3points from 5th, 9 clear of 7th but 24 from 1st!

Players in:  7 for $1.5m
Players out:  9 for $13m
13-06-2015, 10:29 AM
KO round is a good achievement! Thup

Did it bring some cash in? Nice sales profits too...

15-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Season 19 - 2029/30 - Balikesirspor - Turkish Premier Division

A frustrating season in many ways.  We started well, keeping pace with Besiktas at the top as Trabzonspor and Galatasaray began slowly.  We eventually let Fenerbahce past us but were clear in 3rd with hopes of qualifying for the CL.  We played all of the main teams at the business end of the season and lost to each one, in every case in games we had a good chance of getting something from.  So, disappointingly, we faded back to 5th and the EURO Cup.

In this year's EURO Cup, we were lucky in getting to the group stage, then the luck ran out in our finishing 4th.

We were lucky in the draw for the Turkish Cup and were able to make it all the way to the Final, where we dominated league winners Besiktas only to lose 1-2 in extra time to an innocuous cross our GK flapped into our goal.

We had players developing well and looking like we could have a good side in a year or so, only for them to request transfer to a larger club.

Meh.

P34 W19 D6 L9 +23 5/18

Players in: 8 for $5m
Players out: 20 for $16.75m
15-07-2015, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015, 01:38 PM by Wolve.)
Despite the 'meh', it looks promising. Keeping up with the top for a long time shows promise. And you finished one place higher than the previous season. So you're still moving upwards.

kutgw
15-07-2015, 11:50 PM
I think you're disappointed with that because you did well and then fell away. But you had a better season in terms of points and position and reached the cup final. I think that had this season been a slow burner with a poor start and a strong finish (but ultimately the same result) you'd be looking at it in a different light.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
16-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Or just getting that result in the Final would have made it feel very different. What are you doing with that huge disparity of money in versus money out for transfers? Building up facilities? Paying off loans?
16-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Nothing wrong with another solid season!

16-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Unlucky there with a disappointing end to the season but like the other lads said would you have been happy with the season overall if it was offered you at the start?
kutgw
19-07-2015, 07:49 PM
No, it's just that with my payroll up at about where Besiktas's is, and with no talent flowing from the youth team, the prospect of breaking the top 4 hegemony is just not good. I'm spending on the facilities and hoping that breaks something free. But it is fairly dispiriting.
23-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Hopefully you get a couple good intakes, that could make all the difference. Does seem to be quite the crapshoot.