Update for FM'15 Wandering the Isles and across the North Sea
11-09-2015, 07:33 AM
Wow, what a great opportunity - jump ship and instantly get into the EPL at first time of asking. Good luck next season!

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
28-09-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015, 01:30 PM by Wolve. Edit Reason: typos )
Season 12: 2025/26: Huddersfield Town - Premier League
[Image: 5bI0bdy.png]

Board expectations: Avoid relegation
Transfer budget: £17m + £15m halfway
Wage budget: £400k/wk
My contract: £8k/wk F/T
Players in: 6 for £30m, 5 free, 1 loan, 1 loan extension
Players out: 2 for £2.2m, 8 free
Season tickets: 13,932 (+3,467)

Pre-season

The promotion meant that our transfer and wage budgets were increased. In order to keep up with much stronger opponents, I was going to use these funds to strengthen our squad. Whereas before was trying to be somewhat frugal, I knew I had to invest if we were to try and stay up in the Premier League.

The most expensive purchase was a talented young goalkeeper for £9m. He was only 21, but already in the selection for the Swiss national team. The second big purchase was a French full/wing back for £6m. With a fair amount of U21 caps, he was showing his talent. The last purchase (which was actually agreed on a while back) was an experienced Jamaican central midfielder with a number of caps for only £250k. He was the only older player to come in.

I also managed to get a few bargains. A Brazilian central defender, a Spanish midfielder and a Dutch striker came for free after their contracts expired, all only in their early twenties. I also extended the loan of a central defender who had shown his quality over the last season.

Once the ban on changes in the backroom staff was lifted, I also shuffled around the staff a bit. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to let my assistant go because it would be too costly. I was hoping to bring in my old assistant from Altrincham at some point, but I guess I have to wait a bit longer.

League

A nice 4-2 victory on the opening day of the season gave us a great feeling about the upcoming season. Unfortunately, this was followed by seven losses in a row. During those seven matches we only managed to score a single goal. Finally our luck seemed to turn against fellow strugglers, but we threw away our second win of the season by not scoring a penalty to make it 2-0 and then conceding a goal to only end up with a 1-1 draw. Another draw against another team struggling at the bottom and we had amassed a grand total of five points in the first ten rounds. We managed to keep one team under us, but with three relegation spots, we were very much in danger of going straight back down again.

Despite the results, financially things were going great. The massive increase in tv money saw us make a profit after a few months, despite the big purchases. Because of the healthy financial outlook, the board decided to hike up the wage and transfer budgets. Unfortunately, the transfer window was shut, so we had to wait a bit longer before we could make much use of it.

A sudden outburst of points helped us a bit. A draw against Southampton, a victory over Liverpool and a very undeserved draw against Man United helped us add a few points to our tally. However, this was only enough to keep up with the rest.

After dropping down to last place, we picked up a very important win against fellow strugglers Tottenham. Going into the winter transfer window, we were in the middle of a group of five teams fighting against relegation with only three points difference between 16th and 20th place.

Winter trading

Two lads were fed up being backup players and wanted out. I didn't need them all that much, so I let them go. Managed to get a decent sum for them in the process.

With the bigger budgets and the sold players, I decided to get in a new left back. My first team left back was underperforming and when I gave his replacement a chance, he wasn't up to it either. I tried getting a very talented young Frenchman, but he ended up going somewhere else. I did manage to get in an experienced Norwegian international. Not cheap at £5m, but hopefully he will tighten up our defence a bit. My fans weren't too pleased as he came from one of our local rivals, but if he puts in some good performances for us, they'll come round. I also managed to snatch up an experience right winger and a promising right winger for the future for a combined total of £7m.

League (cont'd)

We carried on where we left off. Given we hadn't been doing too well, that wasn't good news. We occasionally picked up a point, but we simply threw away too many leads.

Towards spring we had a few six-pointers. Playing three of our fellow relegation strugglers in a row could make or break our season. We completely bottled it. Giving each of them three points meant we sunk all the way to the bottom of the league. Managing a draw against Man Utd in the next game showed we had some quality. Quality we didn't show when it counted most.

With seven matches left to play, we were seven points behind safety. Inevitably, with three matches left to play, we were officially relegated. Gutting. Winning against now bottom side Tottenham was barely a consolation prize. It was too little, too late. We finished in 19th place, ten points away from safety.

Cups

In the Football League Cup we entered into the second round. We managed to beat a Championship team. Despite the horrible league performance, we then managed to beat fellow strugglers Tottenham and Hull in the next two rounds, sending us into the quarter finals. Coming up against Arsenal turned out to be too big a challenge. Still, reaching the quarter finals was a good achievement.

In the FA Cup we were paired up with Championship side Walsall. With a 1-1 draw in the normal fixture and in the replay, it went on to penalties, which we lost. Disappointing we couldn't get a win against them.

Post-season

It's been a long and frustrating season. While I believed we had enough quality, it never came together. As a result, morale had been low pretty much throughout the season. The only positive was a decent run in the League Cup. And despite spending quite a bit of money, we still managed to make a tidy profit.

A number of players wanted to leave for Premier League sides due to us playing in the Championship next year. The team seemed to be in complete disarray.

Two weeks after the conclusion of the season, the board had made up their mind. I was shown the door a year before my contract was supposed to run out. Sad

League: 19th
Cups: League Cup quarter final, FA Cup third round
Average attendance: 19,557 (+2,139)

[Image: eZ428bk.png]
28-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Fuck sake. Leeds survived.

Shame about you losing your job too. I'm sure you'll get something decent though!
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
28-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Your game is broken, Dirty Leeds are in the Premier League, that just isn't right.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

28-09-2015, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015, 12:30 PM by Wolve.)
(28-09-2015, 12:09 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Fuck sake. Leeds survived.
(28-09-2015, 12:19 PM)Walks Wrote: Your game is broken, Dirty Leeds are in the Premier League, that just isn't right.

Bloody scum. I'm sure they cheated!

(28-09-2015, 12:09 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Shame about you losing your job too. I'm sure you'll get something decent though!

Sure was a shame to get kicked out. Given the quality of the team, if they don't suddenly sell off everyone, I'm certain they will bounce straight back up again.

And I hope I'll find something nice. It's not been easy so far. Premier League sides are laughing me away. Championship sides are getting me in for interviews, but they still decide against me. None of them seem to impressed with a relegation as my latest feat. None of them seem to remember I got them up in the first place. Oh well, I guess that's how the world works.

I did make a few changes during the summer break. I kicked out Wales and Ireland, as I don't see myself managing there after having been up so far. I added in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. So let's see what opens up. I might do some more travelling soon!
29-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Sounds like a brutal season in the top flight, was the issue more allowing goals or scoring them? Or I guess both of them is probably an option as well.

Good luck finding a new position, from another thread it looks like you've found something pretty interesting.
29-09-2015, 09:16 AM
(29-09-2015, 02:23 AM)Scratchmonkey Wrote: Sounds like a brutal season in the top flight, was the issue more allowing goals or scoring them? Or I guess both of them is probably an option as well.

Good luck finding a new position, from another thread it looks like you've found something pretty interesting.

I think both were an issue. We missed too many opportunities. But there were also too many games where we did manage to be up 1-0 by half time, and still end up losing 1-2.

But I indeed did manage to find another club after looking around for a few months. So this career isn't over yet!
29-09-2015, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2015, 09:35 AM by keefa.)
Tottenham Shitspurs went down Celebrate
29-09-2015, 09:46 AM
(29-09-2015, 09:35 AM)keefa Wrote: Tottenham Shitspurs went down Celebrate

Fun fact: their manager said I should be sacked for underperforming. He got sacked shortly after I was. Mrgreen
07-10-2015, 01:30 AM
A really nice read. That first season in the prem can be really tough. The gap between the Championship and the Premier League is the biggest in the English leagues in my opinion. Best of luck next season.
13-10-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015, 10:42 AM by Wolve. Edit Reason: typos )
Season 13: 2026/27: Unemployed

I was hoping to land a new job quickly to be able to go through a normal pre-season in anticipation of the new season. Unfortunately, there was no interest from clubs at the highest level (understandably). A few Championship club did offer me interviews, but decided to hire someone else. This carried on for a while until after a few months an interview finally resulted in a job offer.

Cardiff City were only offering me a fairly low wage (half of what I was making at Huddersfield), but I couldn't be too picky after having had a horrendous season. The club seemed to a good fit too. The board wasn't going to interfere with my approach to managing the team, and in return I promised not to bother them too much. And they had some excellent facilities and a lot of potential. They've been up into the Premier League three time in 15 years (though they were sent straight back each time), so they should definitely be pushing for promotion. Though we didn't have the pressure of having to achieve that right away.

Season 13 (cont'd): 2026/27: Cardiff City F.C. - Football League Championship
[Image: KR9BanV.png]

Board expectations: Respectable league position
Transfer budget: £250k
Wage budget: £600k/wk
My contract: £4k/wk F/T
Players in: 1 for free
Players out: 2 for £3m, 2 for free
Season tickets: 17,784

"Pre"-season

When I joined the club, we were already nine rounds into the season. The club was in tenth place in the league and only a few points behind the playoff spots. We were also level with Huddersfield. So things weren't looking too bad. The club had gone up into and were instantly relegated back down from the Premier League two seasons back. That meant we were still getting parachute payments. But those were also going to go down a lot for next year. So for now we were given a rather large wage budget. With attendances on the decline and the parachute payments going down each year, those budgets were certainly going to take a massive hit if we weren't going to get promoted.

Despite the large wage budget, we were already £25k/wk over budget. A number of players were clearly still receiving Premier League wages. Two overpaid players that were put in the reserves were let go on mutual termination, as no team was interested in them, not even for free. I also tried to offload a couple of our many strikers, but wasn't able to find them a new place. Their fairly high wages made it impossible to simply terminate their contracts.

For a club our size we were also a bit short staffed. Essential positions were filled in, but to increase the quality of coaching and scouting I immediately set out a number of job adverts. I added a few coaches to make proper use of our facilities. They joined us on reasonable wages.

League

A loss and a draw wasn't the best way to kick off my tenure. Then if seemed to click and we went on a seven match winning streak. This streak pushed us all the way to the top of the league.

After than winning streak we did spill some points here and there, but we also kept winning most of our games. In this manner we held on to our top spot, though we were never more than three points ahead of the nearest team chasing us. One of the teams in the mix for the title challenge was my old club Huddersfield, who also managed to push up the ladder with us.

The crazy Christmas schedule was insane. Three games in 5 days was a lot to ask. Tired legs and injuries were the result, but we managed to hang on and kept the top spot until the midway point.

Winter trading

We looked like we were going to go over the financial fair play limit quite a bit. In order to try and close the gap, we tried to sell some players. One of our (many) strikers was sold for close to £2m. Not having to pay his salaries for the next half year also helped. Out of nowhere a club also came knocking for one of our 16 year old kids. For about £1m there was no way I could justify keeping him around given the circumstances.

The board also poured the maximum amount of £3m into the club to try and close the deficit. Despite that, we were still looking to go a few million over our maximum £2m loss allowed over the season. We'd have to see what the consequences would be at the end of the season.

League (cont'd)

In February our busy schedule started to take its toll. Fitness was starting to become an issue. Any rotation to deal with this was hampered by injuries. It started with a loss against fierce rivals Swansea. After fighting back from 1-4 to 4-4, conceding two very late goals meant a very disappointing loss. In the next game we could rectify things against former club and league rivals Huddersfield. After being up 3-1 we conceded at 85', 92' and 93'. In bizarre fashion we lost coming from a comfortable lead.

In the next nine games, we lost two more and drew seven games, giving us an eleven match run without a win. We dropped down all the way to fifth place. In just a few weeks any hopes of winning the league were down the drain. Miraculously, and despite their win over us, Huddersfield were stuttering even worse than we were and were even further down.

To make matters worse, we were also involved in takeover talks with the board looking to step aside. The board did eventually step aside, with the new owners stating their intention to replace me. Luckily, they eventually decided to keep me around, so that was the end of that.

After finally breaking out of our bad run, we weren't as confident as we used to be. All we could do was stutter our way into the playoffs. A good result looking at where we were when I took the helm, but an awful result given how we dominated before Christmas.

Playoffs

In the playoffs we were paired against.... Huddersfield! A nervous affair at home didn't result in a complete collapse, but it did cause a rather unimpressive 0-1 loss.

For the return match, we had to try something different, as we had now lost against Huddersfield three times in one season. We were a lot more dangerous, but also very leaky. The game ended up in a 3-2 win at their place. Unfortunately, away goals don't matter in the playoffs, so we had only done enough to pull off extra time. Look like decent value, we were hoping to push on in extra time. The result wasn't quite what we expected. We conceded four (!) goals in extra time. Absolutely ridiculous. We also somehow scored one, but that was a massively disappointing collapse and we were out.

Huddersfield went on to win the final. They went back up. Deservedly so, as they had a good team. But it's frustrating to see your old club bouncing back up and being left behind ourselves.

Cups

In the Football League Cup we were out before I joined.

In the FA Cup we had some lucky draws. Despite being a bit shaky at times, we managed to push all the way through to the sixth round, well beyond what was expected. Premier League side Everton turned out to be a size too big for us though. This run did give us a bit of extra income though, so all in all a good result.

Post-season

It's been a very frustrating season. After starting very strong, it all collapsed later on. Financially, a bank loan by the new board bailed us out. But with parachute payments going further down next year and expenses staying level, we're looking at making a massive loss next year. I couldn't do much to improve the squad as we were already spending almost all of our wage budget. And we are having trouble offloading our surplus players whose contracts are still running for at least another year. It will be a struggle to change anything compared to the current season. But we'll have to see if we can pick up our form again after a nice and long break.

League: 5th
Cups: FA Cup sixth round
Average attendance: 20,408

[Image: nGBATwI.png]
13-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Real rollercoaster of a season there.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
13-10-2015, 11:37 AM
What a great screenshot. Wink
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

13-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Unfortunate to miss out but still a good effort. As for Huddersfield, at least you know you contributed a large amount to that result Smile

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
13-10-2015, 11:44 AM
(13-10-2015, 11:40 AM)f1dave Wrote: Unfortunate to miss out but still a good effort. As for Huddersfield, at least you know you contributed a large amount to that result Smile

I'd like to believe I did. They haven't made many changes since I left, so that's something. I wish I'd been the one to guide them back up though. Shrug
13-10-2015, 11:56 AM
More importantly, how did Leeds get on?

Well done for making the playoffs, though - they're a lottery.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

13-10-2015, 07:45 PM
(13-10-2015, 11:56 AM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: More importantly, how did Leeds get on?

Well done for making the playoffs, though - they're a lottery.

They survived another year in the Premier League...
13-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Bastards.

14-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Touch luck in the playoffs. I remember a similar thing happening to me in a cup quarter final many moons ago. The game was 2-2 and I thought a clever change of tactics would sink the other lot. The result, we let in 3 goals in 13 minutes!
14-10-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015, 10:47 AM by AnalogBoy.)
unlucky Wolve.  In particular, shame you didn't get a second go around at Hudds - ACAB (All Chairmen Are Bastards).

KUTGW and GL getting the B*******s back into the PL (Newport County fan  Mrgreen )