Update for FM'11 Trying not to Lewes every game
04-10-2015, 09:54 PM
First a short introduction. I used to post on the old LLM board at SI games under the name TC and then at Sega under the name TC's new login but have been away for a very long time. I haven't stopped playing FM, although I go through phases these days depending on work, family and my own interest. I still play FM2011, but I may be tempted to upgrade at some point in the future.

People may remember (or not) that most of my past LLM adventures were in foreign leagues, so I thought I'd have a go this time at a good old English challenge. Most European leagues loaded. I picked Lewes as they seemed like a pretty small club, and their name facilitates making terrible puns!

2010/2011 Lewes, Blue Square Bet South

Predicted to finish near the bottom and with a squad in poor shape, I bring in several players, including a young keeper who looks pretty useful. We start poorly, but a couple of midseason signings, the pick of which was a rock solid Dutch centre-half, and a tactical tweak here and there see us improve to finish 16th.

2011/2012 Lewes, Blue Square Bet South

Lots of rubbish players out and many good new signings, including two wingers, together with a change of formation and we look like a different side. We start off well and keep getting better as the squad gels. We are top by Christmas and despite a couple of shaky performances during the run-in, never look in any danger of missing out, winning the title with 89 points.

2012/2013 Lewes, Blue Square Bet Premier

We release some players who are not good enough for this level and sign a mixture of ex-premier league kids and journeymen. We make a decent start and look like we can give anyone a game. Our defence is tighter than a duck's back passage; only the first and second placed teams concede fewer goals. We have some players who know where the goal is too and finish a respectable 11th. We also manage to win the FA trophy, beating Fleetwood town in a tense 1-0 in the final.

I must give special mention to one defender from Sierra Leone. He was brought in last year and was actually very neat and tidy, except that every once in a while he would commit an outrageously ridiculous howler. My favourite (though I found it rather less amusing at the time) was a 35 yard own goal from a passage of play that started with an attacking free kick to our side, and which must have surely have led to a betting patterns inquiry!
04-10-2015, 11:41 PM
11th in your first season up and a pot is no small feat, do you think you've got what it takes to push on, even with the points-shaver?
05-10-2015, 01:00 AM
I just want to see that own goal

Kutgw.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
05-10-2015, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 04:04 AM by TC is back.)
(04-10-2015, 11:41 PM)Scratchmonkey Wrote: 11th in your first season up and a pot is no small feat, do you think you've got what it takes to push on, even with the points-shaver?

I think so. We're pretty solid at the back and our young keeper does a very good job between the sticks; we're not too shabby up front either. I may have to sell one or two who've had interest from league clubs to keep things ticking over, but my scouts have unearthed a few players who could a job for us next year. Of course, it could all go horribly wrong...

f1dave - It was pretty special. I remember watching it several times thinking 'how the heck did he manage that'.
05-10-2015, 09:56 AM
A championship and a cup in just three seasons. Nice start!

kutgw
09-10-2015, 11:18 AM
2013/2014 Lewes, Blue Square Bet Premier

Our finances are very shaky, but following our good showing last year, some clubs are actually willing to pay money for our players and I allow 4 of the best ones, including our Sierra Leonean centre-half, to move on. Free replacements are brought in. It's the same pattern as last year: we don't score a lot, but we let in very few. In fact we score one fewer goal and concede one more than last season; this, however, puts us in 4th and into the play-offs. Unfortunately, Dagenham & Redbridge beat us handily over the two legs, so it's another year of conference football.

During the off season League 2 Crewe Alexandra come in with an offer for my services and I happily accept the chance to move up a division.
09-10-2015, 01:42 PM
That's a good achievement right there! Playoffs in the second season in the league is by no means a bad result. And it attracts some attention to yourself, resulting in moving up a league personally.

Congratulations on some solid progress and kutgw
09-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Very nice progress and a realistic and promising move to Crewe as well. KUtGW!
10-10-2015, 03:10 AM
Crewe is an old FM favourite of mine, hopefully you can shut up everyone comparing you to their legendary manager-about-town.

26-10-2015, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015, 12:33 AM by TC is back.)
2014/2015 Crewe Alexandra, League 2

A club with some history and an excellent youth set-up, which means that there are several hometown lads in the first team squad, including a very good striker and a 16 year old defensive midfielder who is going to be a star. The previous manger had agreed to bring in several rubbish players on frees as a parting gift, so I don't sign anyone. The board want the play-offs.

We start off indifferently, going out in the first round of every cup, and around December the wheels really come off due to a mini-injury crisis as a result of which we lose 8 out of 9 games. The fans start breathing down my neck, but players coming back from injury and a couple of January signings, including a solid GK, see us improve greatly. We only lose three games from the middle of January to the end of the season. Very Good Striker helps himself to 21 goals.

We end up a very creditable sixth. With morale high and us scoring for fun I was confident about the play-offs. We brushed Crawley aside, winning both games, but came unstuck in the final, going down 3-2 to Bradford in a thrilling game at Wembley. The team looks good, although the finances are a bit on the shaky side, and I'm hopeful about next year.
26-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Hopefully Crewe's young talent will see you through to go one better next season
kutgw

26-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm impressed that the board stuck with you through falling at the first hurdle of every cup and the aquaplane during the holiday season. Credit to them as you really turned it around; a more sustained effort next year has the promise of an automatic spot to it.
26-10-2015, 10:08 AM
A solid result after a shaky start. Hopefully you can build on this and push ahead for promotion next season!
26-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Christ, breathing down your neck? Aren't there laws against that? Mrgreen

Well done though. Playoffs are a lottery.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
20-11-2015, 02:55 AM
2015/2016 Crewe Alexandra, League 2

Our youth set-up has been downgraded as, apparently, times have changed. I get rid of all the rubbish players signed by the previous manager and bring in some better ones, including a left midfielder and a striker on frees from Watford and a right winger/striker on loan from Newcastle. Board want the play-offs again.

We start off well and are always there or thereabouts in the league; the cups are rubbish again. We have a bad November but follow this up with an excellent December and January with Very Good Striker in lethal form, which puts us in the promotion places. I even manage to sell a quick young midfielder for £100,000 to ease the financial pressure, which is constantly building due to our failure to get enough bums on seats.

The final third of the season starts indifferently, but four wins in March put us top. Some nerves start to show as the finish line approaches and we only win two of our last seven, but the teams around us can't take advantage and we end the season in 2nd place.
20-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Nice work! How far off first were you?

Hopefully you can kutgw - will this squad hack it at a higher level?

20-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Well done on the promotion!
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
20-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Good job on the promotion. Hopefully it'll get some more people into the stadium!
22-11-2015, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015, 08:55 AM by TC is back.)
(20-11-2015, 03:43 AM)f1dave Wrote: Nice work! How far off first were you?

Hopefully you can kutgw - will this squad hack it at a higher level?

7 points off 1st, but a comfortable 8 points ahead of 4th.

The squad is pretty young and gets better every year, so with one or two new signings we should be able to cope with League 1. It looks like we may have to replace Very Good Striker, though...
22-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Good work building on last year and getting an automatic spot. Hopefully you're getting a fair amount of dosh for VGS...