Update for FM'11 Trying not to Lewes every game
09-03-2018, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018, 11:55 PM by TC is back.)
2016/2017 – Crewe Alexandra, League 1

Very Good Striker refuses to sign a new deal, and worse still ends up at fellow League 1 club Millwall. I let go of around 20 other players who are unhappy or not good enough for this level; several youngsters are also loaned out. I bring in half a dozen, three of whom are likely to make an impact on the first team.

My leaner, meaner squad makes an indifferent start in the league, with 3 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats in our first 10 games. The early cups are rubbish. We bobble along, winning some and losing others, but then have an excellent December that briefly puts us in the playoff hunt.

It doesn’t last, and we quickly come back down to Earth in January. We haven’t the money for reinforcements, so we make do with what we have. We manage a nice little FA Cup run, holding high-flying Championship side Huddersfield to a 0-0 draw at theirs in the fourth round, before losing 2-3 in the reply. In the league, February is decent, and March is awful, but we’re never in any danger of going up or down, finishing the season 11th. Millwall are promoted.

A good season overall. The financial pressure has eased somewhat, but we're not out of the red yet. This young squad keeps getting better, and with a couple of signings, including a striker or two, we could be a real force next year.
10-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Just made my way through this thread having had a bit of a break from FM myself.

A good little read. I always like seeing careers with Crewe as my family has connections there. Here's hoping you can push for promotion next year.

kutgw

11-03-2018, 04:53 AM
A career with a three year IRL gap in the middle? Dedication to bring it back, TC Smile

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
12-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Thanks, f1dave. Life has been and still is very busy, but I've managed to carve out some time to play FM. I might even get the latest version at some point. Wink

(10-03-2018, 07:45 PM)Rodderas Wrote: A good little read. I always like seeing careers with Crewe as my family has connections there. Here's hoping you can push for promotion next year.

kutgw

It's not a part of the world I know well at all, but I always like clubs that bring local youngsters through.
12-03-2018, 06:13 AM
Albeit with unfortunate pedophile allegations now Sad

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
20-03-2018, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2018, 07:41 PM by TC is back.)
2017/2018 – Crewe Alexandra, League 1
We make another half a dozen signings, all freebies, the pick of which are a youngish Norwegian AMR/ST from Newcastle and a solid, no-nonsense DM from Swansea. A dozen or so are shown the door, and a couple go out on loan.

We start well in the league, the new signings gelling quickly. We improve as time goes on, and by December we’re firmly in 2nd place, although Reading are already threatening to run away with it.

The cups are much better this year. We breeze through the first two rounds of the League Cup, and then overcome Premier League strugglers Aston Villa in third round, before Man City get the better of us with a 1-0 at theirs, which flattered us a bit if I’m honest. We get a couple of lucky draws against lower league sides in the FA Cup, before another giant killing in the third round, Premier League Wigan the victims this time. West Brom, however, are too good for us in the next round.

The ‘Future Crewe’ squad grinds out two wins on penalties in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, before really kicking into gear with some great performances, including a 4-1 demolition of Preston at theirs to put us into the northern final. We face Notts County, overcoming a 0-1 deficit from the first leg to win 2-1 on aggregate. The final at Wembley is a great occasion and a great game, too. We go 1-0 up, then 1-1, and then 1-2 down to a goal with more than a suspicion of offside about it. A few harsh words at half-time puts the wind up the boys, and we grab an equalizer after a fine bit of play on 74 minutes. The final 15 minutes are tense, and my heart is in my mouth when their number 9 hits the post in the 85th minute. The game continues, and just as I think that extra time is inevitable, my Norwegian striker finds some space twenty-five yards out and fires an absolute bullet into the top corner with 2 minutes left on the clock, prompting wild celebrations.

January is quiet. I bring in a single backup loanee, and cash in on a striker who was in and around the first team last year but has mostly warmed the bench since the Norwegian’s arrival. We go off the boil a little in February and begin to look nervously over our shoulders. March sees an improvement, but April is bad with just a single win, and sees us slip back to 3rd. We need to beat Crystal Palace to stand a chance of automatic promotion but bottle it completely, losing 0-4 away. Reading win the league on 104 points.

We enter the playoffs against Swansea. I am rather nervous due to our poor form, but we teach them a lesson in football at theirs, winning 4-0, and do a professional job in the return leg with a 1-0 win. The final pits us against Crystal Palace, who had thrashed us 4 games ago. But it was our second trip to Wembley, and our experience told as we outplayed them over 90 minutes, the game ending 2-1.

Championship, we’re having a laugh! Our cup runs finally put us in the black this year, but we lack both the players and the money to compete with most clubs at this level. As I pondered how we would approach our relegation battle, an offer came in from underperforming Championship side Coventry City, who have a great-looking squad and money to spend. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I accepted.
20-03-2018, 10:46 PM
You swine! How could you leave Crewe?

Seriously though, well done with a hard fought promotion, and best of luck with Coventry.

kutgw

20-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Fantastic season, mainly due to a fellow Norwegian. I like it! Mrgreen KUTGW!
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

20-03-2018, 11:43 PM
kutgw
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
21-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Great season and GL with Coventry. EPL next year? Smile
21-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Congratulations on the promotion and good luck with Coventry!! How do you think you will cope in the Championship? Looking at the squad do you think you'll need to make many changes??
Bēo ġesund!

Ælfgar Earl
22-03-2018, 02:20 PM
(20-03-2018, 10:46 PM)Rodderas Wrote: You swine! How could you leave Crewe?

Seriously though, well done with a hard fought promotion, and best of luck with Coventry.

kutgw

And to join Coventry Shitty, no less!

I'm afraid I won't be wishing you the same luck with them, unless you're an agent trying to get them back to League Two...

Good work getting Crewe back to the Championship though!
25-03-2018, 03:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

(21-03-2018, 12:28 PM)Earl Ælfgar Wrote: Congratulations on the promotion and good luck with Coventry!! How do you think you will cope in the Championship? Looking at the squad do you think you'll need to make many changes??

We look decent. I might make one or two changes but nothing too radical. The board want the playoffs, and I think that's doable.