FM Role-Playing for LLaMa's
26-11-2015, 05:00 PM
(if this shouldn't have it's own thread, just delete it)

In previous years I've always used my own name, my own nationality and tried to use as much as my own personality in day-to-day running of a club in FM, the thought being 'as realistic as possible'. Of course, that gets a bit difficult when starting anywhere else than Norway and I have to create a backstory to be able to accept that I'm starting my career in England, Indonesia or Argentina. 

Then I thought, since playing FM is already a kind of role-playing, what other RP features can a LLaMa use without breaking any guidelines, immersion or realism? The reason why I started thinking about this was because I had an idea for a career where I would basically try to manage all my favorite clubs (Brann, Brentford and Valencia). Basically my thinking is that before you start a career you set goals for why you want to become a manager. Here are a few ideas I've had so far just to give you an impression of my thinking: 

1) Favorite clubs: It's always been a dream to manage my favorite club or the manager at my favorite club is incompetent and it's about someone competent takes over.
2) Just a job: if someone wants to pay me for managing their club, sign me up! But don't expect loyalty; I go where the money leads. 
3) The ladder climber; I'll club hop as much as I need to to reach the top of the Football World and become one of the big ones. 
4) The Alex Ferguson; my goal is to build a club over a long period of time. I only need one club in my career.
5) The One True Philosophy; I know the right way to play football is and I'll stick to it no matter the league or club. If it fails, it's because of poor players, not the philosophy!
6) The passionate; I don't care where I manage as long as I can work in football.

Whenever I start a new career I usually don't even spend time thinking about where I want to manage. I usually just load up a bunch of leagues and see who wants me. And I never set any goals for myself. My thinking is that if I was going to become a manager, there must be a good reason for why you want to become a manager. And if so, would it (or wouldn't it) be realistic to decide on those goals or reasons before starting your career? 

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting this should become an official guideline or even a guideline for most people. I just want a discussion around the role-playing aspects of LLM. How much RP is too much or too little? What's acceptable and what's breaking the LLM ethos?
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

26-11-2015, 06:29 PM
I think (hope) this might generate some discussion. It's certainly something that I'll be offering my thoughts on later.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
26-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I try and do this, although I have to say that my previous saves have all wound up being a bit same-y, possibly because what I try and role-play winds up being my actual personality/approach to liking the sport. I do think that I've got something different happening in the Wimbledon save; although we'll have to see how that goes.

There's certainly been some interesting FM philosophies exposed on this board, especially in terms of managing within a certain philosophical framework.
26-11-2015, 08:24 PM
I've played at Sunday League level, managed/coached a youth side and a works team playing at regional level. I only role-play to the extent of 'what if I took it to the next level, got some coaching badges, coached a Sunday League side and eventually got a job at a lower-league side'.

I do have goals, such as eventually getting a job at Cardiff City and taking them to the heights of Premiership and European glory (it's never happened), but I don't really role-play as someone else. Just me if had become a professional football manager.

26-11-2015, 09:10 PM
one of my plans for fm16 was this.
*After being laughed off by UCD(university college dublin) when I told them I would like to take their team to champions league glory. I decided to build a name for myself by learning football from arguably the best football nation in the world, brazil. So with nothing but my last unemployment check and a tesco mobile phone to call the embassy just in case, I hop on a plane. No guts no glory.*
26-11-2015, 11:32 PM
I tend towards the 'passion for the game, let's build something at a club' kind of approach where I'm fairly loyal in most cases until an unmissable opportunity comes along to step it up a level.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
27-11-2015, 12:57 AM
Normally i always pick to be myself but before a game i always try and have a few guidelines to work to. For example i like my team to play a certain way so i will have that as the end game. Start with a base and then adapt it to become the final product. Where i would like to manage and in which countries and work out a realistic way of doing so or building a club from nothing. In FM16 i started the game to become a one club wonder but sadly that didn't quite happen so have had to change the approach slightly but still keeping most of the things i set out to be the same.
09-03-2016, 01:02 AM
I've always tried to avoid my favourite clubs, and the general philosophy I usually go for is a fallen giant. I've done this by looking at early winners of the league or cup in a country (Arenas in Spain, Pro Vercelli in Italy) etc or someone who basically went bust (Venezia). I also enjoy games playing for clubs of players I really liked or admired - had an excellent game at Stuttgart Kickers (former German super-striker, now Team USA "soccer football" coach) and Rennes (French Headbutting AMC) more recently. I seldom go 100% hardcore LLM, or haven't in some years. I simply dont have the gaming hours these days to commit to something is a 20+ season game. I've only had one of those in a decade, though I have managed to get a few through 15+. Valur (Iceland), were perhaps my favourite...I picked them up after a relegation in Iceland and took them to 10+ straight league wins (quadruples in many seasons). No EURO trophies, but did make CL stages 2 times, the first of which changed the entire landscape of Icelandic football. Professional, stadium upgrades and all sorts. Eventually I got bored and decided to try and make one of the other teams compete (improve co-efficient) but I'd made Valur so good and plundered pretty much all the young talent that after a couple o f years entrenched in 2nd I gave up.
06-07-2016, 10:04 PM
At my (senior) age have tweaked my date of birth as maybe unrealistic for a 50 something to get a start in management. Have been Esteban Verde in a South American Clan save once but generally try to be an exaggeration of myself than pretend to be anything else.
06-07-2016, 10:20 PM
(06-07-2016, 10:04 PM)Soulfusion Wrote: At my (senior) age have tweaked my date of birth as maybe unrealistic for a 50 something to get a start in management. Have been Esteban Verde in a South American Clan save once but generally try to be an exaggeration of myself than pretend to be anything else.

Ah, those good old clan days, that was the Uruguay clan wasn't it Steve? Happy days Smile
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

08-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Certainly helped pass a few Thursday evenings, when Chris joined us I was happy not to be the one everyone was waiting For!
10-07-2016, 04:39 AM
I always used to enjoy reading the clan updates Mrgreen

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
16-07-2016, 08:29 AM
I generally pick something a bit different. I started my Scottish save as a 26 year old Cuban with no coaching qualifications or any real playing experience. I will give myself a style and try to follow it in how I talk to the media and players. It amuses me Wink