Rocket League Llamas
15-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Might be available for RL sooner than expected. Already down by three and playing shite.
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

15-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Hahaha Mrgreen I'll be on after the game, hopefully.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
15-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Went and got myself a nice big glass of cognac during half time so this game could become fun after a while. RL should be hilarious after Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

16-01-2016, 01:04 AM
That. Was. Awesome.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

17-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Ole you around tonight for some RL fun?
17-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Sure! At least until the Broncos vs Steelers game.
Previous saves: 

17-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Paul and I just won 11-2, and their second was only because I OG'd at the death. Mrgreen

17-01-2016, 11:31 PM
I hope you are playing this as realistically as possible?
Trying to build a successful team, Berwick by Berwick
17-01-2016, 11:51 PM
(17-01-2016, 11:14 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Paul and I just won 11-2, and their second was only because I OG'd at the death. Mrgreen

jeez.. so I was the problem all along??
Previous saves: 

19-01-2016, 04:45 PM
So, I philosophised over some 3v3 Rocket League Tactics while taking a dump last night (that visual image is on the house btw). I had the initial idea after being lured away from world domination in Civ 5 by Paul and JD to suck at RL for an hour.

To make it easy to understand, I use Player W (Winger), C (Center) and D (Defensive) as names for the different roles so that it'll be easier to explain. The roles and positions vary from where the ball is on the field and in my explanations here the key areas are Defensive Left/Right corner (the corners to the right and left of our goal), Attacking Left/Right Corner (corners to the left and right of opposition's goal) and Central which is basically around the height of where the ball is, only in the center of the field (so if the ball is in the Attacking Left Corner, the Central position is around the Opposition's goal area or '16-yard box').

The idea behind these tactics is to a) not have three playes all fight for the same ball in the same corner and leaving an open net/half of the field, b) stop ruining opportunities for each other by hitting each other or the ball away from each other, c) stop counter attacks and d) a more solid defense.

Basic formation
The easiest way to understand the positions on the field is to imagine a triangle where the W is the front man who fights for the ball or dribbles the ball, D is positioned between W and our own goal and plays support, while C is in the center of the field, no higher up the pitch than W and no lower than D (the height of position depends on situation). In my experience the ball is rarely in the center of the field and when it is, it's very quickly a goal or hit into the corners again.

It's also easy to communicate what positions we play as we can just use the team chat to say 'W', 'C' or 'D' if there's any confusion (see 'Kick-off' below).

Defending (ball on our own half of the field)
Ball in the Def. Left Corner (for Def. Right Corner just flip the instructions...):
W is in the left corner fighting for the ball and trying to clear.
D is on the goalline at all times and should not leave the goalline until there's a clearance up the pitch.
C is in the center of the pitch, but slightly towards the left corner, 'in the 16-yard box' ready to dive in to clear the ball, block shots or hit opponents (and ruin their opportunities to shoot).

If the ball is hit from the Def. Left Corner all the way over to the Def. Right corner, the C player dives into the right corner and becomes the W while the W gets in front of net and becomes the new C. The D stays on the goalline.

The point of having a goalie on the goalline at all times until the ball is cleared is that as soon as a player leaves the goalline, you have a dangerous situation with an open net. If the ball gets past and 'dances on the goalline', it's almost impossible to clear or save and it's easy for a semi-competent opposing player to score.

Attacking (ball on opposition's half of the field):
Ball in the Att. Left Corner:
W is in the corner fighting for the ball and trying to center the ball
D is between W and our goal, hovering around midfield. He has two jobs: 1) be ready for long shots on passes from W and 2) stop counter attacks
C is again in the middle of the field, ready for the cross.

Same rule goes here if the ball is hit from the left corner to the right; C goes after the ball in the right corner and becomes W. W gets in front of the net and becomes C while D slides over to support the new W.

If the ball is lost:
The D can either a) try to attack the ball and stop the counter, or b) get back to the goalline to protect the net.

If a) it's important that W and C gets back behind D to protect. When going backwards it should be easy enough to find the right positions with the defensive positioning in mind; If D goes forward to stop the counter on the wing, D becomes W while C and W takes the D and C positions depending on who's closer - I.e. if the ball is in att. left corner and is hit down the left side, D goes to the left side to stop the counter, W goes back to become D and C stays central. If the ball is in the att.left corner and is hit across the field towards the Def.Right corner, D becomes W on the right side, C goes back to become D and W (from the left side) becomes C.

If b) D goes backwards to protect the goalline, whoever's closer to the ball goes after it and becomes W (even if that means chasing the ball from one side of the field to the other) while the other becomes C and gets in front of goal (16-yard box). Main thing is to get into the defensive positions as explained above.

Kick-off
Here's where it's important to communicate. My suggestion is the following:
C - chargers the ball - to stop the opposition scoring from kick-off and try to knock the ball deep (or score) - and then stays central as C
W - follows C towards the middle of the field but as soon as the ball is hit (usually cleared to one of the flanks), he dives after the ball and becomes W on that side
D - stays back, preferably on the goalline to stop a lucky kick-off shot on goal, then finds his position based on where the ball ends up. If the ball ends up on the oppositions half, he goes up to midfield, but if the ball goes backwards to the defensive corners, he stays on the goalline unless he's 100% sure he can clear. If he gets off the line and misses the ball, bad things often happen in my experience...

Easy ey? Mrgreen

If that was very confusing, which is quite possible, the most important thing to understand are the positions on the field when we're in attack and when we're defending. By seeing where the other two players are, it should be easy to figure out where you're suppose to be on the field. If the ball is in the opposition's half and one player dives into the corner after the ball while another is hovering around midfield, it's easy to figure out that you should be central in front of net. If the D goes forward on a great scoring opportunity, the W or C should recognize the empty space behind him and go back to cover. 

When we played last night it seemed to me that when we were in good positions we were very hard to score on and when they did score it was mainly due to a lucky long shot, a missed clearance or the goalie getting off his line and missing the ball leaving an open net.

Of course, any suggestions, comments or rants are welcomed Smile
Previous saves: 

19-01-2016, 05:04 PM
:2long:

Didn't we have an emoticon for that at some point?
19-01-2016, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2016, 05:18 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
(19-01-2016, 05:04 PM)keefa Wrote: :2long:

Didn't we have an emoticon for that at some point?

Hey, get out of our tactics meeting, sir! Bat
Previous saves: 

19-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Mrgreen
19-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Ole, you have given this far, far, far, far, far too much thought. That must have been a helluva long dump.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
19-01-2016, 10:08 PM
I wonder if he realises this will go out the window within thirty seconds. Mrgreen

19-01-2016, 10:33 PM
(19-01-2016, 10:08 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: I wonder if he realises this will go out the window within thirty seconds. Mrgreen

Mrgreen
20-01-2016, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2016, 11:42 AM by AnalogBoy.)
FWIW, I had considered writing something up similar to what Ole put up there. I definitely think that understanding roles is important though. One thing to note is that as you get more experienced, it becomes easier to switch between roles as the game gets easier to read.

Am at work at the mo but when I have more time I'll add any relevant stuff I can think of to what Ole said, and challenge anything I believe to be balls Wink

One thing I'll definitely touch on is kickoffs as these are SO IMPORTANT (particularly, I don't agree with Ole's assignment of roles if I understand him correctly)
20-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Pictures I need pictures Mrgreen
20-01-2016, 03:16 PM
(20-01-2016, 02:43 PM)darthpaul Wrote: Pictures I need pictures Mrgreen

Thought I was in the tennis thread for a second then  Mrgreen
20-01-2016, 03:56 PM
If you imagine the following box as your half of the field on kickoffs, the possible starting positions are thus:

Code:
3             4

5    2

The reason for my numbering is that that's the order you'll start in if you're playing 1v1 (at 0-0 you start in spot 1, 1-0 spot 2, and so on with each goal scored). What not everyone seems to realise is that this cycle also applies in all other versions of the game. So for 3v3, you'll end up starting in the following positions for players A, B, and C:

A-B-C
1-2-3 (1)
2-3-4 (2)
3-4-5 (2a)
4-5-1 (1a)
5-1-2 (3)

This makes assignment of kickoff roles very easy to standardise, and really leaves only three patterns, two of which are mirrors of one another. Let's examine, briefly. ("briefly". Yeah right.)

Scenario 1/1a

A-B-C: 1-2-3

So, Player A is in the standard defensive position and should do as Ole suggested in his roundup above. Hard and fast rule #1 of kickoffs in 3v3: a player in position 1 never charges the ball. A handy tip is that while the ball is bouncing around up front, you can carefully zip about claiming some of the boost blisters without ever really leaving your defensive position. In particular, the two directly in front of goal: if you accelerate through them both, stop, and reverse back through, you should arrive back at the first in time for it to refill and power you up again. A should stay back until they are 100% sure that possession is in their team's favour, and then should only advance up towards half way to offer support in the form of long shots or cutting off and retunring clearances. If in doubt, drop back. Safety first.

Player C's role is also easy to define - he's your winger, he's closest to the ball, and he should be charging it. Make sure you get a good solid contact on the ball, don't try to get super fancy. Hard and fast rule #2: If you have only one winger, that winger always charges - ALONE. After the kickoff, use judgement; if the ball goes high, try to grab one of the big sideline boosts and then reorient for the ball, but if you don't think you'll have time or you feel you can get a good contact on it, go for it.

Player B's role is the one people seem to struggle with. Hard and Fast Rule #3: Players in spots 2 and 5 will ONLY charge in setup (3) - i.e. if there are no wingers on kickoff. Player C is closer to the ball than you - you'll be beaten to the ball, so don't go for it. Instead, look to collect boost either from the sideline or defensive corner, or hang back and wait to win the second ball, but don't steam in, you're wasting boost and you're doing nothing good for your team. Once the ball is in play, you should have more boost than the 34 you started with, and thus are well placed to make a play on the ball wherever it heads, so do that.

In scenario 1a, Player C and A swap roles.

Scenario 2/2a

A-B-C: 2-3-4

This time, we have two wingers - Players B and C. There are two ways to do this; either both players charge (aggressive), or the two players work out beforehand who will charge a la winger in Ole's descriptions above, and who is going to play off (center) and collect boost. If both charge, try to front flip into the ball as you might increase your chances of a favourable kickoff and thus mitigate the extra risk of the aggressive play.

Player A is in the same spot that player B was in in Scenario 1 - however here his role is squarely that of defender. My usual play here is just to reverse through the boost blister nearest the goal to take up standard goalie position, but you can also pull forwards to the one in front of you on your left, and then reverse back through the furthest back one. Either way, you're a defender in this scenario and you need to be cagey, especially if both wingers charge.

In scenario 2a, Players A and C swap roles.

Scenario 3

A-B-C: 5-1-2

Player B is defending, as they are in spot 1. Easy.

Players A and C are both in that awkward center slot. We have a similar situation to scenario 2 here, where there are two valid plays (both charge or one charges and one hangs back). In this situation I strongly prefer organising your play beforehand with one player calling "I got it!" from the quick chat to signal that they will charge, and the other holding back and looking to chase the kickoff. Charging both is defensible, but is unlikely to end in a good outcome as the opponents will have 3 cars in between ball and goal and you're unlikely to luck into a goal, and if they successfully block the charge with just one guy, they have a free player to start a counterattack. There's also a third option where the player not going for the ball instead charges for the sideline big boost, but that's also very risky and I don't like it personally.

I realise I've gone into pretty micro detail here but once you make it past the D/C/W code that Ole describes, his summary is pretty good, so there's not a lot of benefit to me going deep on actual play. Kickoffs are super important and are worth knowing a solid technique for.

Seriously though, if you guys find this useful, please let me know. I can also go a bit deeper in terms of how to judge what balls to go for and not to go for near the walls and corners in 3v3 (something I tend to get wrong in the heat of 1v1 play and that costs me a lot of goals, despite me knowing what i shouldn't do Wink ), and attacking positioning (including scenarios where D should be coming up to help challenge the goalmouth). But if this was not useful I won't bother as it was a lot of typing and my forearms are tired. Smile

Cheers!