Stalybridge Celtic

Posted Image Stalybridge Celtic

Posted Image Posted Image


Stalybridge Celtic’s history has been the subject of many debates for the greater part of the century. Although an outfit calling itself ‘Celtic’ appears in the archives for 1906, this side seemingly only played friendlies on a ground at North-End. This seed of a club was probably the basis for the club known today, which was formed in 1909 by Herber Rhodes, a local business man and philanthropist. Mr Rhodes spent a chunk of his fortune on developing Bower Fold. He also played for the team and designed the strip (basing it on the colours used by his racehorses).

Celtic played for two seasons in the Lancashire & Cheshire Amateur League, before turning professional and joining the Lancashire Combination to become second division champion’s at the first attempt. Following it with a fourth place and runner’s up in the Central League.

Due to some local bureaucracy, Celtic’s ambition to join the Football League meant that they had to join the Southern League, and travel by train to every away match. Fortunately, finishing runners up (to Stoke) meant promotion.

There followed a short pause most people know as the First World War.

In the aftermath (1921-22 to be exact) Celtic rejoined the Central League, and won it again. At the end of the 1922 season, Celtic became one of the founder members of the Third Division (North).

Their first game in the third division was against Chesterfield, a home game that they won 6-0. However, winning this league was to prove too difficult, finishing 7th and 11th in the first two years. Lacking the support of local people, the funds were not available to press for a third campaign, forcing Celtic to voluntarily resign from the football league.

Celtic rejoined the Cheshire County League (replacing the reserve squad) and stayed there for sixty years until the formation of the Bass NW Counties League.

Peter Wragg took the helm and steered Celtic to Championship victory in 1980, eventually winning the Bass NW Championship in 1984 and 1987, and runners up in the NPL First division.

During this time of league progress, there was a lot of work at Bower Fold, culminating in the ground gaining League grading.

Phil Wilson took over the reigns in 1989 when relegation threatened, eventually finishing second in the NPL.

He followed this escaping act with promotion into the Conference in 1992.

Their first season was a success, finishing 12th, but it was followed by disaster and relegation loomed again.

Peter Wragg returned and saved the sinking ship by winning 9 of the last 12 games.

Peter Wragg resigned at the start of the 1996/97 season, replaced by Brian Kettle, but it was not enough, and Celtic were relegated in 1998 back to the NPL after finishing bottom.

It was troubling times for the club, and there was a succession of managers including Stirling and Keelan before Phil Wilson came back.
Phil Wilson was to prove an inspirational manager. Firstly in 1999 he brought them the League Cup.

Then, in 2001, they won the Cheshire Senior Cup (something they’d not won for nearly 50 years). Demolishing a strong Stockport County team 5-1 at Ewen Fields.

In the same season, they went on to beat Blyth Spartans in the President’s Cup, before going on to win the league title after an impressive victory against closest rivals Emley at Belle Veiw.

The title was won the title away at local side Droylsden thanks to an injury time Stuart Locke penalty. They finished up with over 100 points and scored nearly 100 goals.

The foray into the Conference was short lived though. Phil Wilson joined Southport, taking several of the squad with him, and the assistant coach. With scant time before the start of the new season, Paul Futcher took over the reigns. With a series of disastrous runs, Celtic replaced Paul with Dave Miller. He almost, but not quite, kept them in the Conference before sensationally sacking nearly the entire team. Miller won the President’s Cup at the first attempt, and finished 4th in the NPL.

During this time, a new stand was built, upping the seated capacity to over 1200.

With the formation of the Conference North in 2004/05, Celtic had to finish 2003/04 in 13th or higher – they only just did it. A sensational win at champions Hucknall Town saw them finish 13th.

Their first season in the Conference North was almost their last, and with half the season gone, Miller was sacked and replaced by John Reed. Reed pulled off the great escape, clawing back an 18 point deficit to finish a place above the relegation zone, following it up by missing out on the play offs on the last day of the 2005/06 season.

Celtic have made numerous appearances in the FA cup, starting in 1922, when they forced a replay from West Brom, at West Brom. Since then, there have been 12 other appearances. We have even been to the second round twice: 1993, when Carlisle beat us 3-1 at Brunton Park, and again in 1999, when Chester beat them 2-1 at home.

Their best FA Trophy performance has been in 2001, when they lost to Stevenage Borough.


  • Challenge Shield – 1955, 1978
  • Cheshire County League – 1980
  • Cheshire County League Cup – 1922
  • Cheshire Senior Cup – 1953, 2001
  • Edward Case Cup – 1978
  • Intermediate Cup – 1958, 1969
  • Lancashire Combination Division Two – 1912
  • Lancashire Floodlit Cup – 1989
  • Manchester Senior Cup – 1923
  • North West Counties League – 1984, 1987
  • North West Counties Super Cup – 1984
  • Northern Premier League – 1992, 2001
  • Northern League Cup – 1992, 1999
  • President’s Cup – 2001, 2003

Official Stalybridge Celtic Site

Entry author: Deus