Vauxhall Motors

Posted Image Vauxhall Motors

Posted Image Posted Image


Founded in 1963, shortly after the new car plant was opened in Ellesmere Port, Vauxhall Motors quickly outgrew their humble beginnings in the Ellesmere Port League and the Wirral Combination and in 1965 gained admittance to the Second Division of the West Cheshire League. By the end of the decade, they were operating in Division One on the company owned Hooton Park.

In the 70s the club consolidated its position but without much overall success. In the 80s the Sports & Social Club bought land adjoining its clubhouse and plans were soon afoot to transfer all outside sporting activities to the Rivacre Road site.

After a lot of hard work, the new ground, known as Rivacre Park, was officially opened in 1987 by then England manager Bobby Robson, who brought a team including a number of former internationals for an opening game. By then the club had recovered from its leanest days of the late 70s to clinch their first West Cheshire League championship in 1985-86.

The following season they reached their first Cheshire Amateur Cup final, lifted the Wirral Senior Cup and successfully applied to join the North West Counties League for the 1987-88 campaign, as Vauxhall G. M., whilst still keeping two Motors teams in the West Cheshire League. After a solid first season, the ‘Motormen’ cruised to a superb Division Two title in 1989, losing just once in the process. In their first season in Division One, G. M. finished a creditable fourth and were expected to mount a strong challenge for the title in the following campaign. But they finished a disappointing fifth, though some consolation was gained by lifting the North West Counties League Cup at Bury, by defeating Darwen 2-0.

The following season saw the committee stretched to its limits and it was decided to withdraw G. M. from the North West Counties League and concentrate on West Cheshire League football. After finishing third in each of the next two seasons, 1994-95 saw the club win both divisions of the West Cheshire League, a feat only achieved twice before in the League’s 103-year history and they were accepted back into the North West Counties League again.

In their first season back, they romped to the Second Division title but stuttered on their return to Division One though they reached the semi-finals of the Cheshire Senior Cup. The next season saw the ‘Motormen’ improve on their standing to finish fourth, whilst reaching the county cup semi-finals once more and the League Cup Final at Gigg Lane, losing to champions Kidsgrove Athletic 1-0 in arguably the most memorable final yet!

In the 1998-99 season the club reached new heights, under a new management team led by Alvin McDonald. He guided his young side to the Fifth Round of the F. A. Carlsberg Vase for the first time in the club’s history, finished in their best ever league position (3rd) and ended a memorable campaign by lifting the League Cup by defeating Prescot Cables in a replay.

But this was just a sample of the success that was about to unfold. In his second season in charge, Alvin guided the club to even greater heights. Defeat in the semi-finals of the F. A. Carlsberg Vase, losing 1-0 to Chippenham in extra time, could not dent their drive towards the NWCL championship with four games to spare. For good measure, they also carried off the Floodlit Trophy, whilst their reserves in the West Cheshire captured the Centenary Pyke Cup for the first time in the club’s history, as well as reaching the Wirral Senior Cup final.

Their baptism into the Unibond was nothing short of spectacular. The Motormen enjoyed a wonderful start to their First Division campaign (2000-01) and despite the transfer of top scorer Gregg Blundell to Northwich in mid-season, they ended the season in good form, to clinch an unexpected runners-up spot and with it, promotion to the Unibond Premier at the first attempt.

After successive promotions, consolidation may have been considered the name of the game at Rivacre Park, but not for the management and players! They continued to defy the odds throughout this campaign and finished with a superb spell, to lift the runners-up trophy by a stunning eleven points from the third-placed club, behind runaway champions, Burton Albion.

The Motormen made national headlines in the late autumn of 2002-03, when dumping QPR out of the F. A. Cup, in their first ever appearance in the First Round, before losing 2-0 away to Macclesfield by virtue of two late goals in front of the Sky TV cameras. They ended the league season in third place, while the reserves lifted the West Cheshire League championship.

In November 2003, the vastly experienced Owen Brown was installed as the club’s new manager, after Alvin McDonald left Rivacre Park for Conference club Northwich Victoria, and after a difficult couple of months, he completely transformed the club’s fortunes, as they rose from 21st place at the end of January to a very respectable ninth, losing just twice in their last nineteen league fixtures.

Vauxhall have finnished in 15th, 18th and 15th positions so far in the Conference North.


1963 Football Club was formed by former West Bromwich Albion player, Fred Ward, shortly after the opening of the new Vauxhall plant in Ellesmere Port. Playing at Hooton Park inside the plant complex, the new club joined the Ellesmere Port League.

1965 Early success, results in the club being elected into the Second Division of the West Cheshire League, whilst a reserve team is formed and joins the Wirral Combination.

1967 Dave Edmunds, the present-day secretary of the Sports & Social Club, is appointed club secretary.

1968 Vauxhall win their first piece of silverware in the West Cheshire League, lifting the Second Division Cup, known as the ‘West Cheshire Bowl’.

1969 Elected to the First Division of the West Cheshire League from third place.

1970 Reached the semi-finals of both the West Cheshire League’s senior cup, the ‘Pyke’ and the Wirral Senior Cup, under former Welsh international Tecwyn Jones.

1971 Second team are elected to the Second Division of the West Cheshire League, just six years after the senior side.

1973 Pyke Cup finalists for the first time, losing 2-1 to Willaston at Prenton Park.

1978 Second team lose West Cheshire status.

1979 Reached the semi-finals of the Cheshire Amateur Cup for the first time, losing to Crewe Rolls Royce. VMS&SC declare an interest in the 23-acre site of farmland surrounding the clubhouse in Rivacre Road and ultimately, agree a purchase price of £60,000.

1980 VMS&SC become owners of the land adjoining the clubhouse on Rivacre Road. Tony Woodley, a future long-time Chairman of the club, is appointed club manager.

1981 Ray Condliffe is appointed club secretary.

1982 A huge football ground improvement scheme is launched for Rivacre Road site, including a permanent pitch surround and a covered standing area.

1983 Reached the semi-final of the Cheshire Amateur Cup and the final of the Wirral Senior Cup, losing in extra time to Poulton Vics. Reserves finish as runners-up in the South Wirral League, but lift both the League Cup and Wirral Junior Cup, and are re-elected to the West Cheshire League. The old New Brighton FC floodlights are erected at Hooton Park and Tranmere Rovers paid the club the compliment of fielding a full first team in a commemorative match. Bank loan of £45,000 repaid after successful club lottery launched. Rivacre Road site is cultivated and land drainage completed.1984 Plant manager agrees to support future development at Rivacre Road with a cash injection of £50,000 spread over five years. West Cheshire League runners-up and finalists of the Wirral Senior Cup, losing 2-0 to West Kirby.

1985 Reached the semi-final of the Cheshire Senior Cup for the first time, losing to then Alliance club, Runcorn. A re-negotiated brewery loan of £90,000 from Tetley Walker enables the club committee to pass plans for the building of a new changing room complex at Rivacre Road. Billy Beckett is club secretary.

1986 Manager Jim Fearns, guides Vauxhall to their first West Cheshire League title, while the reserves lift the Wirral Amateur Cup, defeating Capenhurst Villa 1-0. Work progresses on the new Rivacre Road complex, including the dressing rooms, perimeter wall and sponsors lounge.

1987 Defeated 4-3 by Stork in the Centenary Cheshire Amateur Cup final at Prenton Park, but return to the same venue to lift their first Wirral Senior Cup by beating Poulton Vics 2-1. ‘Rivacre Park’ is officially opened by then England manager Bobby Robson, before a commemorative match against an England F.A. XI, which attracts 1,500 spectators. Club joins the North West Counties League as ‘Vauxhall GM’, leaving two sides in the West Cheshire League under the ‘Motors’ banner.

1988 Finish a very creditable fourth in their first season in the NWCL Second Division.

1989 Lift the NWCL Second Division championship under Tony McVey, losing just one league match.

1991 Lift the NWC League Cup, defeating Darwen 2-0 at Gigg Lane, Bury, whilst finishing fourth in Division One.

1992 Forced to resign from NWCL and concentrate on West Cheshire League football, as the committee is stretched to the limit, trying to look after three sides.

1994 Motors spurn a 2-0 lead in the Cheshire Amateur Cup final against Cammell Laird at the Deva Stadium, eventually losing 3-2.

1995 Win both divisions of the West Cheshire League and are also finalists in the Wirral Senior Cup, losing 2-1 to Cammell Laird at Prenton Park. Rejoin NWCL as ‘GM’ once again.

1996 Terry McLean leads the club to a second successive championship, by lifting the NWCL Second Division at the first attempt. Two new terraced stands are built to facilitate promotion. The manager resigns in the closed season and Paul Rowlands is appointed as McLean’s successor but lasts just four months, which enables McLean to be installed as boss for a second time at the end of the year.

1998 Beaten 1-0 by champions Kidsgrove Athletic in the NWC League Cup final at Gigg Lane, in monsoon conditions following a freak storm. McLean resigns and Alvin McDonald is appointed club manager that summer.

1999 The club gains its highest ever league position of third in McDonald’s first season in charge. They also reach the last sixteen of the F. A. Vase and lift the NWC League Cup, defeating Prescot Cables 1-0 in a replay at White Moss Park. The ‘GM’ club is wound up, enabling the two clubs to come under one umbrella as ‘Motors’. Jimmy Butler, a former club manager, becomes the Youth Development Officer and plans are in hand to run teams from Under-11 to Under-15 in the Eastham & District Junior League. The snack bar is completely refurbished. Mark Pearson collapses and dies on the pitch at Northwich Victoria’s Drill Field, during a Cheshire Senior Cup tie.

2000 New souvenir shop opens and additional turnstiles are installed in readiness for Unibond League football. Reach the semi-final of the F. A. Vase, losing to an extra time goal at Chippenham, but bounce back to lift the NWCL title and the Floodlit Trophy, while the second team capture the Centenary ‘Pyke’ Cup for the first time in the club’s history, defeating Ashville 5-2 (at Rivacre Park!) Unfortunately, they were denied a cup double, when losing 2-1 to Cammell Laird after extra time in the Wirral Senior Cup. Those achievements led to Vauxhall Motors FC being named ‘North West Club-of-the-Year’ by the Non-League Directory.

2001 Surpassing their own expectations, Vauxhall gain a second successive promotion, by finishing as Unibond First Division runners-up to Bradford Park Avenue, at the first attempt. Re-enter the F. A. Cup, reaching the fourth qualifying round, before losing a home replay to Lancaster City.

2002 Incredibly, McDonald’s ‘Motormen’ end their first season in the Unibond Premier Division as clear runners-up to runaway champions, Burton Albion. They also reach the 4th round of the F. A. Trophy for the first time, defeated by Northwich Victoria in front of 1,019 at Rivacre Park. Ended the year in front of the televisions cameras, following a terrific F. A. Cup run. Defeated QPR at Loftus Road in a First Round replay on penalties after a goalless draw at the Deva Stadium (att.3509) but lost their Second Round tie away at Macclesfield, in front of the Sky cameras.

2003 Ended the second Unibond Premier Division campaign in third place, whilst the reserves lifted the West Cheshire League championship under Steve Leyland. Club manager Alvin McDonald resigns in September, to take over at Northwich Victoria. Former Tranmere and Vauxhall striker Owen Brown is appointed as his successor a month later.

2004 After a difficult first few months in charge, the ‘Motormen’ hit top form at the end of January and ended the season unbeaten in their final thirteen games, to clinch a place in the new Conference North.


  • Unibond Premier Division Runners-up: 2001-02 (Note: Team promoted in 2003-04 season despite finishing ninth)
  • Unibond League Division 1 Runners-up: 2000-01
  • North West Counties League Division 1 Winners: 1999-2000
  • North West Counties League Division 2 Winners: 1988-89, 1994-95
  • West Cheshire League Division 1 Winners: 1984-85, Runners-Up: 1982-83
  • North West Counties League Cup Winners: 1990-91, 1998-99 Runners-up: 1997-98
  • Cheshire Amateur Cup Runners-up: 1986-87, 1993-94
  • West Cheshire League Division 2 Cup Winners: 1967-68
  • Pyke Cup Runners-up: 1972-73
  • Wirral Senior Cup Runners-Up: 1982-83, 1994-95,

Official Vauxhall Motors Site

Entry Author: Deus