Connah’s Quay Nomads
Ground: Groundshare for 2006/7 with Flint Town United
Capacity: 3000 (270 seated)
Nickname: The Westenders
Admission: £6 adults, £2 Under-16/OAP
Connah’s Quay (Welsh: Cei Connah) is the largest town in Flintshire, north Wales, lying on the River Dee, on the border with England. It grew as a port, and is now an industrial centre, home to three power stations. The major part of Corus Steelworks lies in the town. The town is also home to Connah’s Quay Nomads F.C. and Connah’s Quay Cricket Club. Wepre Woods, a major green space in Flintshire, is controlled by the County Council’s Rangers. Also, the River Wepre is heard at the beginning of the Stone Roses album Second Coming. The Roses were at the time recording in nearby Northop. Connah’s Quay has a town council of twenty members.
The town’s name is believed to have to come from a former landlord of “The Old Quay House” which lies right on the docks in the town, and the docks soon became known As “Connah’s Quay”.
In the last decade several large housing developments have been built in Connah’s Quay and the town has a booming property market, with houseprices steadily increasing. The town appears to have finally shaken the effects of the mass redundancies from major employers in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
How to Get There
Take the A548 from Connah’s Quay into Flint and turn right opposite the Swan Hotel into Castle Street following the Castle signs. Cross over the railway bridge and the car park and clubhouse is next to the Lifeguard Station. From the A55, turn off at the Flint sign (A5119) following the road into the town. Round the one-way system to the A548, turn right and take the left turn (signposted Castle) opposite the Swan Hotel.
map to Cae-y-Castell
Parking: Car park adjacent to ground and social club.
Nearest railway station: Flint (0.5 miles)
Rivals: TNS. Flint Town, Bangor City, Aberystwyth, Caernarfon, Rhyl, Wrexham
The first Connah’s Quay club was founded in 1890, playing in the Golftyn area of the town close to the present stadium. The club reached the Welsh Cup finals of 1908 and 1911, losing respectively to Chester and Wrexham, but was disbanded soon afterwards. A new club, Connah’s Quay & Shotton, was formed in 1920, renting land at the rear of the Halfway House hotel from the Northgate Brewery, and becoming members of the Welsh National League (North), as a fully professional outfit, in 1922.
Welsh Cup Win over FA Cup Winners
In 1928, the club moved to Dee Park, Shotton and won both the Welsh National League (North) championship and the prestigious Welsh Cup in 1929. In the final they defeated First Division Cardiff City 3-0 at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground. Cardiff’s team, incidentally, contained several players who had beaten Arsenal in the 1927 F.A.Cup final. Six months later, however, Connah’s Quay & Shotton folded with debts totalling more than £1,000, leaving Connah’s Quay Albion to carry the town’s soccer banner through the second war.
Formed in July 1946 as Connah’s Quay Juniors, the present-day Nomads club was the brainchild of the Everton and Wales centre-half Tommy (T.G.) Jones, a native of the town. Attracted by the reputation of the famous international, the Deeside youngsters flocked to join the new team which quickly became a major force in North Wales youth soccer, winning the Welsh Youth Cup in 1948.
Seniors to Nomads
By natural progression a senior team was formed and joined the Flintshire League in 1948. Success soon followed and Connah’s Quay Juniors reached the final of the Welsh Amateur Cup in 1950/51. Prior to the 1952/53 season, the suffix Nomads was adopted and the team ventured into the Welsh League (North). Though unsuccessful in their challenge for the league title, Connah’s Quay Nomads once again contested the final of the Welsh Amateur Cup, this time winning the trophy against Caersws Amateurs. The club also reached the semi-final of the Welsh Senior Cup before going down to Football League side Chester at Wrexham’s Racecourse ground.
Despite winning the North Wales Amateur Cup three times in the 1950s, Nomads’ fortunes took a dip and the club moved into local football for seven years prior to rejoining the Welsh League in 1966, twice finishing as runners-up at the start of the 1970s. In 1974, however, the club joined the newly-formed Clwyd League and spent more than a dozen seasons at this level, winning the championship twice.
Without doubt, Nomads’ most successful season was 1980/81 when they won seven trophies including the Welsh Intermediate Cup, beating Newport YMCA in the final, and the Clwyd League without losing a game. Following three successful seasons in the Welsh Alliance, Connah’s Quay became founder members of the Cymru Alliance in 1990 and the League of Wales two seasons later.
Finishing 8th in the new national competition in 1992/93 was a fine achievement after a poor start as was Nomads’ appearance in the semi-final of the Welsh Cup despite the disappointment of a 2-1 aggregate defeat against Clwyd rivals Rhyl. Neville Powell joined the club in the summer of 1993 and has steadily built up his team into one capable of challenging for a European place. Within twelve months of Neville’s arrival, Nomads won the North Wales Coast F.A. Cup and, in 1995/96, battled through to win the League of Wales League Cup, beating Ebbw Vale in the final at Caersws.
The Nomads Move House
The 1997/98 season was one of the most successful of recent times, as the club finished seventh in the League of Wales, thus gaining entry into the FAW Premier Cup, and also reached the final of the Welsh Cup for the first time. Unfortunately, Nomads missed out on a European venture when Bangor City snatched a last-minute equaliser and won the cup in a penalty shoot-out. The club’s home since 1946 was the Halfway Ground, but in July 1998 Nomads moved into the newly-constructed Deeside Stadium.
The team finished 7th in the league, for the third time, in 1999/2000 and eighth in 2001/2002 to claim another Premier Cup place. Things could have been so much better, however. Nomads topped the League of Wales table prior to Christmas 2001 and looked to be in with a chance of a top four finish, but such hopes evaporated as one game after another was postponed because of the poor drainage system at the Deeside Stadium: an ongoing problem during the first few years at the new stadium.
Eighteen league victories during 2002/2003, however, saw Nomads reach the giddy heights of fifth place in the table, just a point off a ‘top four’ spot and looked to be a good bet to improve on that the following season though they failed to live up to expectations. Indeed, season 2005/06 was a huge disappointment with Nomads slipping to 12th place in the table.
Connah’s Quay remain one of only six founder members of the League of Wales (Welsh Premier) to have unbroken membership over the fourteen seasons of its existence. The club’s home since 1946 was the Halfway Ground, but in July 1998 Nomads moved into the newly constructed Deeside Stadium. However, the Nomads will be groundsharing with Flint Town Utd for the 2006/07 season because of essential pitch repairs at their Deeside Stadium home.
They hope a recent link-up with Manchester United will help them continue their progress.
Welsh Cup winners: 1928-29 as Connah’s Quay and Shotton FC
Welsh Cup runners up: 1907-08, 1910-11, 1997-98
Welsh Amateur Cup winners: 1953-54, 1980-81
League of Wallers Cup winners: 1995-96
North Wales Coast Challenge Cup winners: 1993-94
Club: 40 Brookdale Avenue, Connah’s Quay, Deeside, CH5 4LU
tel: 01244 831 212