Llangefni is the county town of Anglesey in Wales and contains the principal offices of the Isle of Anglesey County Council. According to the UK Census 2001, the population of Llangefni was 4,500 people and is the second largest settlement on the island. The census also reveals that 83.8% of the population speak Welsh fluently, with the highest percentage of speakers being in the 10-14 age group where 95.2% are able to speak Welsh.
It is the principal commercial and farming town on the island – the larger town of Holyhead being a port town and somewhat separate from the agricultural, cultural and linguistical nature of the rest of the island – and in the past hosted the largest cattle market on the Island.
The town lies at the centre of the island on the River Cefni, after which it is named, and is home to the Oriel Ynys Môn museum, detailing the history of Anglesey and housing the legacy collection of Charles Tunnicliffe. In the west of the town is a large secondary school, Ysgol Gyfun Llangefni (Llangefni Comprehensive School), and in the north a Victorian church, St Cyngar’s, set in a wooded riverside location known as The Dingle. The church provided the former name of the town, Llangyngar.
There is a relatively large industrial estate housing a chemical manufacturer, a slaughterhouse and other small businesses. The town had a station on the Anglesey Central Railway line which opened in 1864. It closed in 1964 with the closure of the line although goods trains continued to pass through the town until 1993. Although no longer used, the tracks have not been removed.
Llangefni hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1957, 1983, and in 1999 gave its name to the Eisteddfod held at the nearby village of Llanbedrgoch. It also hosted the Urdd Eisteddfod in 1994.
The town also has a college, Coleg Menai (Llangefni Site). Water for the town comes from Llyn Cefni (Lake Cefni), one kilometre to the north.
The actress Naomi Watts lived in the town between the ages of 7 and 14.
Cae Bob Parry
Capacity 2000, Seats 500, Car park at ground.
Admission £6 adults, £3 senior citizens, £2 children
Record league attendance 427 v Llanelli AFC, 07/09/07
How to get there Leave the A55 at the Llangefni junction and before entering the town turn right and through the industrial estate. Turn right at the end of this road, pass Kwik Save on your left and KJ Ford Garage on your right. Turn left at the next junction and follow the road through the estate for half a mile, the ground is on your left.
Nearest railway station Llanfairpwll (6 miles)
Current ground improvements (from the official website)
Perimeter complete and fully accepted, the pitch is looking good (just a few brown spots with the hot weather), could people refrain from playing on it in the evenings! The new FIFA standard goals have arrived and there is work this week on concrete standing around the club house and entrance. We are talking to a number of sponsors as the ground takes shape and will make announcements as they are sealed – same with player registrations (I see Porthamdog have lost some players, so we don’t want them poaching ours as before!)
The club house extension is in place to form a Sponsors Suite (how about a name), Press/media facilities and ongoing work is being done on the surrounds, with concrete hard standing, tarmac from the new entrance around the club house, car park re-surfacing. Additional toilets are in progress and the awaited upstairs developments in hand. A TV gantry is to be erected on the far side facing the main stand and dugouts.
A new PA system will be in place for the season and investment in technology to meet the League and Media requirements has been agreed.
We have a good number of advertising/sponsor agreements and there are ongoing talks with some big names wishing to take on a full club sponsor deal.
The extended club house and VIP suite is nearing completion, hopefully it should be ready for Thursday. Advertising signs are now in progress and all work is on target for the new season
Brian ‘Hood’ and his Merry Men completed the new extension and VIP boardroom – looks very professional.
Llangefni Town Football Club was founded in 1897, although archive records show that there was a team in the town in 1892, but this was primarily a Chapel-based team.
Possible earliest team photo from circa 1897
Llangefni were founder members of the Anglesey Football League and they played in it with some distinction for many years, winning the league title six times as well as the Dargie Cup twice and the Megan Cup once. The reserves picked up the North Wales Coast Junior Cup in 1991/92, but eventually the club accepted promotion into the Gwynedd League in 1988/89 season and in their first season they achieved the treble, winning the League Championship along with the Eryri Shield and the Gwynedd Cup and the following season 1989/90 they repeated this tremendous achievement.
In 1990/91 Llangefni accepted promotion into the then Tyn Lon Volvo Welsh Alliance League (now called the Pentraeth Honda Welsh Alliance League), where they won the League Championship, the Barritt and Alves Cups, not bad for their first season at this level.
They then went on to win the Barritt Cup outright after treble success in the competition for seasons 1990/91, 1991/92 and 1992/93, also winning the Cookson Cup in 1993/94 and the Welsh Alliance League Championship four times between 1990/91 and 1998/99, as well as being the only Anglesey club to ever have won the Welsh Intermediate Cup back in 1991/92 season.
Struggling in the period between 1994 and 1997, the committee invited Bryan Owen to take charge of the team and slowly but surely he managed to turn things around, rejuvenating the club. When they were invited to make an application to join the Cymru Alliance League – which was accepted for the 1999/2000 season – they moved to a new ground at Talwrn Road.
The club aimed for a mid table position in their first season and eventually finished in ninth place out of 17, but in 2000/01 finished as the runners-up to Caenarfon Town in a close finish.The following season there was an ill-fated merger with nearby Glantraeth and, although the combined club finished runners-up again, this time to Welshpool Town, the partnership was dissolved in some enmity.
After a dismal start to 2002/03, former manager Bryan Owen returned for the remainder of the season and achieved a fourth-placed finish.
With ambitions to step-up to the Welsh Premier, new floodlights and other work was completed at Talwrn Road, but after leading the pack by 10 points in March, a slump in form saw them finish in third in 2004/5, outside the promotion places, and led to the sacking of management duo Bob Parry and Aled Owen.
A fifth place in 2005/6 was followed by another relatively poor start to the following campaign, but the arrival of manager Adie Jones from Colwyn Bay revitalised matters and Llangefni came with a late run to pip Bala Town to the title and clinch promotion.
The team that won promotion to the Welsh Premier
Club histories and stats based on information compiled by David Rapson.
Main honours Cymru Alliance champions 2006/7
Postal address Cae Bob Parry, Talwrn Road, Llangefni, Angelesey.
Matchday telephone 07733 487886